epic songs
Jan 30, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #16 of 88
She's great. Her label chooses her singles based on what will sell, not on what will showcase her talents.
Her ballads are wonderful. Anyone who thinks she a dunce and can't sing or pen a lyric, should do some homework before writing her off.

As far as epic:

Gorillaz feat. Little Dragon - Empire Ants
Speechless- Lady GaGa
Dance in the Dark- Lady GaGa
Moments in Love- The Art of Noise

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #18 of 88
Any of you had the chance to listen to "GRV music" yet? 

Here's a video:

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #20 of 88
Metropolis pt.1 - Dream Theater
2112 - Rush
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #21 of 88
Heroes of Our Time - DragonForce
Tom Sawyer - Rush

and a little cheesy, but Don't Stop Believing by Journey has been an epic song in my opinion for as long as I can remember

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #22 of 88
A few spring to mind as epic:

I would agree with Dragonforce, they are pretty epic!

War Pigs by Black Sabbath is truly epic - as is Faith No More's cover of it - and a lot more by FNM.

Machine Head have done a lot of really epic songs, like most of the songs on The Blackening, and Through The Ashes Of Empires. Also their live album Hellalive demonstrates just how epic they are.

Helloween's Keeper Of The Seven Keys, parts 1 and 2 are truly epic.

But to my mind the most epic artist by far has to be Vangelis. I'm not even going to name any of his songs because they are almost entirely awesomely epic!

Feb 6, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #25 of 88
I can't believe no one has mentioned:

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Or for something a little lighter:

The Decemberists - The Mariner's Revenge Song

The Decemberists have several tracks I believe qualify as "epic", especially on The Crane Wife.

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #28 of 88
I fully agree with the inclusion of Deep Purple's Child In Time.

And Jimi Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner...

On a slightly more mainstream tip, I've just been listening to Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell album which surely warrants a mention here.

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #29 of 88
Yes - Close to the Edge, Heart of the Sunrise, Awaken
King Crimson - Starless (off Red), The Court of the Crimson King, Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part One
Rush - Xanadu, 2112, Cygnus X-1 / Hemispheres
Genesis - Supper's Read, The Musical Box, Firth of Fifth (and Domino for 80's Genesis)
Can - Halleluhwah, Yoo Doo Right, Bel Air, Mother Sky
ELP - Karn Evil 9, Tarkus, The Endless Enigm
Marillion - Grendel
Hawkwind - The Psychedelic Warlords (Disappear In Smoke), Orgone Accumulator
Gong - A Sprinkling Of Cloud, Allez Ali Baba Black Sheep Have You Any bull, Tropical Fish : Selene, Isle Of Everywhere
Van der Graaf Generator - A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers

Feb 10, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #30 of 88
Ghosts 'N Stuff - Deadmau5
F(R)iend - In Flames
Crawl Through Knives - In Flames

Ghost 'N Stuff is epic in my opinion because of what it did for the genre. It started Deadmau5 who is one of my all time favorite electronic artists, and this is the track that pushed him onto the stage.

F(R)iend is by far one of my favorite songs, and in terms of metalcore, definitely my top five. It has a great set of recurring, blasting, super low-strung, rolling triplets that in my opinion define epic. Also, Anders Friden's awesome growls purvey an emotion not found in many of today's artists. Overall, one of the most epic metal tracks I have ever heard.

Dead End is again by In Flames, and is a very emotional track. In Flames does an amazing job here of combining vocals and instrumentals to give another very emotional track. You can feel the anger and sorrow in every chord, note, and beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back