EPH-100, VC1000, SE315 or X10?
Oct 15, 2013 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Akaerna

New Head-Fier
Hi there, just for you guys know this is my first post.

I am looking for a IEM for bassheads, under 200, and also comfortable to wear while i'm running.

I have in mind: Yamaha EPH-100, VSonic VC1000, Shure SE315 and Klipsch Image X10.

Which of these are more Bang for the Buck? Also, could you guys give a comparison between these and the Klipsch Image S4i (the one which I currently have)? Finally, would you guys recommend me any other IEM in this price range?

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english.

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 9
Welcome aboard, Akaerna!
I can only comment on the Yamaha's EPH-100 which I own (and I like) but can't use because of the fit. As you may know they are pretty different from the typical IEM because of the way they are built: the transducer is in the tip, the part of the housing that you insert in the canal ear. Therefore if you have a small canal ear like myself, no matter how small are the silicon flange, they will hurt after a small amount of time you use them.
This is my experience (and the reason why I'm gonna sell them). Obviously "your mileage may vary": if you have normal or large canal ear then you'll probably not have any fitting problem and you will be able to appreciate the sound they produce, which is pretty warm but not bass-head.

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 9
I personally own the EPH-100. I work out (basic fitness) at least three times a week. I have heard all on your list except for the VC1000. The EPH-100 are very comfortable and have unsurpassed isolation. The sound quality is also very clear and should be enough bass to satisfy a basshead without sacraficing the mids and highs. If you are into working out, however, I would recommend the X10. I have heard that the EPH-100s occasionally fall out when working out if the fit is not optimal. The X10s are warm but do not have as much bass response as the others. However, the one with the least microphonics would have to be the SE315. It may be because I only wore the SE315s over-the-ear, but they seems to be non-intrusive. If possible, try to get one with the best sound and fit if you can try them out at a store.

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 9
  Welcome aboard, Akaerna!
I can only comment on the Yamaha's EPH-100 which I own (and I like) but can't use because of the fit. As you may know they are pretty different from the typical IEM because of the way they are built: the transducer is in the tip, the part of the housing that you insert in the canal ear. Therefore if you have a small canal ear like myself, no matter how small are the silicon flange, they will hurt after a small amount of time you use them.
This is my experience (and the reason why I'm gonna sell them). Obviously "your mileage may vary": if you have normal or large canal ear then you'll probably not have any fitting problem and you will be able to appreciate the sound they produce, which is pretty warm but not bass-head.

I second this. I love the sound of the Yamaha EPH-100 but had to return it because my ears are too small. They can really hurt after 15 minutes.

Oct 18, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 9
Thank for the response guys! I'll probably stick either with EPH-100 or X10. The thing is: I live in Brazil, and I rarely find those IEM's on stores for testing.

Akaerna,
As my EPH-100 are resting in a drawer, I am willing to lend them to you for a test. The only problem is that I'm based in Italy and I suspect shipping cost would be pretty high.

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #8 of 9
Of the sets you're considering, my experience is limited to the Yamaha EPH-100. With that in mind, I wholeheartedly advise against them. The sound quality is fine, but they are far from being a bass powerhouse.  

More critically, it really doesn't matter how good they sound if you can't wear them. Mine are completely out of service right now because I lost an ear tip. With most sets, no problem. Buy OEM replacements or from a third party supplier. But with the Yamaha, tips are almost impossible to find. But let's say you miraculously find a lifetime supply. These are still EASILY the most uncomfortable IEMs I've ever used. Unless you have enormous ear canals, you will quickly find them too uncomfortable to wear because they exert so much constant pressure on your inner ear. Even worse, the mesh over the driver aperture is impossible to clean completely if it gets dirty/moist and the tips can stick in your ear when you pull the earpieces out. Moreover, while working out, the earpieces tend to shift around a lot (remember, no way to get tips made from a non-slippery substance like foam) and orient themselves in such a way that they become completely muffled. To reorient them, you try pulling them out, but what happens? The tip gets stuck in your ear!

Dude, save yourself the hassle and buy a set for which replacement tips are easy to come by and that doesn't require elephantine ears to wear comfortably. There are a lot of sets out there in the price range that sound about as good as the EPH-100 yet aren't utterly unpleasant to use.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 9
A lot of you guys were talking about the problems with the size of the EPH-100. I won't have these problems, since my ears are huge. I always wear the biggest ear tip available, but the thing is: it looks really uncomfortable.

At the moment, my main choice is the x10, since it looks really really comfortable and has a good amount of bass.

The reason I have cut the Shure315 from my list is because it's over-the-ear. And VC1000 because no one knows about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back