Entry-level portable headphones for use w/o an amp
Nov 1, 2002 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

popojan

New Head-Fier
Hi! I want to get some cheap but quality headphones for use especially with my Creative DAP Jukebox but also with my PC. Price is a matter and I cannot afford byuing an amp.

I am thinking about *Koss Porta Pro*. Portability is an advantage for me, but not a necessity. Thats why I am also considering *Sennheiser HD 495*. So what would you recommend me - HD or Koss?

And if Koss, there are some alternatives to Porta Pro - *Sporta Pro* and *KTX/Pro* - which should sound similar, yet KTX/Pro is half the price of Porta Pro (in the Czech Republic) and has a volume control...

Thanks for your advice.
Jan Popelka

Nov 2, 2002 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 6
popojan
HI: Welcome to head-fi. I would suggest the portapros. You can get a coupon at headwize for 20.00 off and pay 30.00 for the portapros. I think that the portapros are for life and when you upgrade to bigger and better cans you will still use the portapros for portable use.

Nov 2, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 6
popojan,

Considering your location, PortaPros maybe difficult to get. You can email Koss and see if they ship to your country and what the final cost would be. The Senn. 495 may be easier to get.

Nov 2, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 6
Hmmm, you're in a difficult situation. At first, I would have said portapros, but those might be hard to get. . . then I would say grado sr-60s, but those will be expensive in europe. How about sennheiser 497/477s?

Nov 2, 2002 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 6
There's been some discussion of international purchases of the PortaPros on Headwize. What others have said is that Koss will default to UPS shipping and it'll be really expensive, but they'll send you an e-mail verifying you want them shipped, and at that point you can request shipping via USPS. Koss will say that they're not responsible for loss during shipping, but it'll cost much less (~US$7) and one person in Finland reported getting it in 10 days.

A link to page 8 of this thread. Be sure to take a look at the next (and last) page as well.

Nov 2, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for your tips. I have to remark that I can easily buy either Portapros or Sennheisers in the Czech Republic w/o having them shipped (i.e. I can go and buy them). However the Portas are kinda legendary here and its price converted to US dollar is 67$, which is damn more than the above mentioned 30$ when buying online !

I am rather persuaded to buy a Koss model, but do not know which...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back