Oct 16, 2010 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nod2mybeats

Head-Fier
I've got a

Sigmatel audio card
Intel Pentium D quad core
And a 250W source.

My budget is $120.

I want a good set of speakers for somewhere in that range. I'd be willing to allocate the budget towards a better card and spending what's left on speakers too.

I'm evidently a novice, but would like some good options based on what I've got. Thanks!

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 9
Do you want stereo, 2.1, or  5.1?

you gonna use it for music, movie, games?

Cheap decent cards cost about 30 something bucks. Reluctant to recommend one specific brand since they all have their own problems.
Cheap 2.1 PC speakers...usually around 50 bucks. If you have about 100 dollar left after sound card. You can probably get okay 2.1 set.

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for input. Primarily for music; I'm not a gamer. And I barely watch movies on my computer. Plus, I haven't got room for 5 speakers. It would be too much clutter. I'd rather a decent 2.1 setup.

Could your throw a couple brands out there just so I can have some ideas?

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 9
Common entry level PC speaker brands are Logitech, Creative Labs, Edifier...

Some budget cards you can easily find in retailers are, Creative Labs Audigy SE 7.1, Creative Xtreme Audio (PCI or PCIE)
Xonar DS, Xonar DG, and maybe some Auzentech brands...

Oct 18, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #5 of 9
I would wait on the sound card and get a nice set of speakers first. A cheap sound card and a $50 sound card do have big differences, but you're much more likely to appreciate the difference between $50 speakers and $120 speakers.

For card+speakers:
ASUS Xonar DS - $50
Logitech Z523 2.1 Speakers - $70

Speakers alone I'd get either:
Logitech Z623 - ~$140
Logitech Z-2300 - ~$120

There are of course alternatives to Logitech, but for <$200 speakers, I've had nothing but good experiences with their speakers.

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks a lot, man.

Ironically, I already have a logitech 2.1 setup in my house. It's just not my personal computer. But I would like a set of my own. I'll look into both sets.

Oct 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 9
Put all your cards on an Edifier M3400:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/2998-edifier-m3400-2-1-speaker-system-review.html

(I´ve donne it ! 
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
 )

Oct 19, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 9
I would suggest a little higher budget.  Save a bit more and you will end up with something you will be happier with.  You could look at the entry level Xonars they can give some decent sound for the price.  You may need a bit more money depending on what you are looking for in terms of a speaker system.

Quote:
nagual said:

Put all your cards on an Edifier M3400:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/2998-edifier-m3400-2-1-speaker-system-review.html

(I´ve donne it ! 
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
 )

Nice Review, did this review help you make your decision?  Where you happy with the speaker system?

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I would suggest a little higher budget.  Save a bit more and you will end up with something you will be happier with.  You could look at the entry level Xonars they can give some decent sound for the price.  You may need a bit more money depending on what you are looking for in terms of a speaker system.

Quote:
Nice Review, did this review help you make your decision?  Where you happy with the speaker system?

Oh, yes ! For sure !
Like the op-amp modding.  Gonna try it some day.
These speakers have an strange,  at least to me,  behavior: the sound takes some time to "mature",  like nice wine !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back