Entry-level headphone amps?
Feb 19, 2008 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

konceited

Head-Fier
Any advice on a good entry-level headphone amps?

I'm a complete n00bie. my Audio Technica ATH-M2X broke. so I bought some Grado SR-60.

after reading through Head-Fi boards. I kept seeing most people use amps.

my main music source is WMA Loseless on my desktop PC.

I only have about $250 to spend.

thank you for reading.

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 16
If you listen to music from your PC maybe a combination of a DAC(digital to analog converter) and an amp might be the right choice for you.
In your price range you could get a IBasso D1 or a 2Move from Meier audio.

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 16
thanks for the reply.
smily_headphones1.gif

Can the Corda 2Move be bought in the US?

Fubar III USB DAC/Headphone Amp looks like a pretty good first Amp. Firestone Audio

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by konceited /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the Corda 2Move be bought in the US?

I think they're in stock at TTVJ.

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

thank you all for your input.
cool.gif

I'm leaning towards the Corda 2Move. Anyone here own it?

Use the search feature, you'll find lots of threads!!

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Fubar III USB DAC/Headphone Amp looks like a pretty good first Amp. Firestone Audio

You're right this one looks good too, maybe you find some reviews here on head-fi.

I think the "Move is a good choice though. I've never heard a Move but I've heard a Corda Arietta and it sounded very good (especially for the price). I read that for the price the Move is hard to beat.

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

thank you all for your input.
cool.gif

I'm leaning towards the Corda 2Move. Anyone here own it?

I bought mine through TTVJ (great service btw) and its serving me well. Its nice and compact and looks great (sounds ok too
tongue.gif
). Grab some little clear rubber feat and stick them on the bottom and it is great on top of your desk.

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 16
Don't go the portable route if you don't need the portability. You can get a lot more for your money if you get a seperate stationary amp + DAC.

I would go with the Little Dot Mk-series of amps to start with. They've got some very nice offerings with good components and rave reviews in your price range.

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #11 of 16
I had the SR60s, which I really liked, and a HeadRoom microamp, which I also really liked. The SR60s don't benefit that much from an amp alone. If you're just looking for just an amp, I'd recommend saving your money and/or upgrading your source first. I'm no computer as transport person, but there are a lot of knowledgeable threads re soundcards/dac/amps. Check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back