Entry level closed headphones
Nov 14, 2008 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

red.13

New Head-Fier
Hi!
Recently I started to *cough* compose music *cough*. Maybe playing with FL a few hours a day doesn't make me a producer, but I really start to feel as it's consuming me more and more. Currently I own HD555, and while basses are a little lacking they are almost perfect (in terms of their adaptability) for listening music, watching movies and playing games.

That said, I noticed that external sounds (such as TV, radio etc.) really distract me and don't allow me to hear those little differences I would like to notice when making music (and even when trying to listen to some music in peace). I don't have a very specific music types preference, but I tend to lean towards ambient/surreal/hip-hop (production) and rock/metal/new age (music listening).

Nitty-gritty: I am looking for set of closed headphones in the range 100$ - 150$. At the moment I am considering ATH A500, ATH A700 & HD280 Pro.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 9
Modded JVC HA-RX900. Save some cash.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony MDR-V6, they've been around since the earth cooled. Well thought of in their price range. List for $110 but can be had for around $80.

Thirded.

Though you can find refurbs as low as $50. I owned and loved a pair for years before I found this place.

Also, you can sometimes find them at bricks n' mortar stores. Take your iPod and give them a spin before you buy.

Nov 14, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR, I don't think you can do better than the ATH-M50 for ~$110 shipped.

And as I understand it, the JVC RX900 is semi-open/closed.

hmmmm im considering the m50, what about the ath pro500s. 100 dollars on audiocubes. They look similar. and the pro700s.

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by indofulioh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmmm im considering the m50, what about the ath pro500s. 100 dollars on audiocubes. They look similar. and the pro700s.

FWIR...

The M50 probably sounds more balanced and better.

The Pro models would be easier to drive.

The M50 would be more comfortable; the Pro models have a comfort issue due in part to the smaller and circular earcups. The Pro models may have a durability issue too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back