Entry level (=cheap) amp w HD-650: Go-vibe/Pa2v2 ?
Jul 14, 2005 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

japa

Head-Fier
I did searching and found nothing..

What would you suggest as entry level (=under $100, pref under $70) headphone amp for Karma and Sennheiser HD-650?
Are there other options than Go-vibe and Pa2V2? Is original go-vibe worth the money or is one stupid not to buy go-vibe2 instead?
Which one suits HD-650 better?

My limited knowledge from what I've read is tha Pa2 gives more to the Bass department where go-vibe makes the sound brighter. In that assumption I'd think go-vibe would suit HD-650 better (it is bit on the warm side already). Or am I totally lost?

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 7
Me likes the Pa2v2
biggrin.gif
. I don't find the bass to be excessive at all on the Pa2v2, I feel its more "controlled" if thats what your looking for. I have never heard the Go-Vibe series so you may have to ask someone that knows about them.

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 7
I have both the PocketAmp2 and Go-Vibe. I use the PocketAmp2 with my iPod as my portable amp. My Go-Vibe I use with my PC. Both are very capable amps and will give you the extra power to drive the HD650s. The question is wheter you are more interested in the convienence the PocketAmp2 provides or the tweakability of the Go-Vibe. The PocketAmp2 uses NiMH rechargeables that can be recharged within the unit itself. I find this extremely convenient. The Go-Vibe on the otherhand is a 9V and while you could use NiMH batteries with it, you'll have to pop them out and use an external recharger. The Go-Vibe's strength is in the ability to swap op-amps. If you find that the OPA2227 too laidback for your HD650s, just swap it out for the brighter AD8066. As far as the difference between the old and new Go-Vibe, unless you like the aluminum casing, there is no fundamental difference in the design of the two.

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 7
If price, i.e. "cheap" is the operative term, one would be hard pressed to find anything better than the Pocket Amp 2. It offers a high level of sound quality while adding the value of a built-in recharger and outstanding battery life. In combination with its small size, it is truly a pocketable and portable amp. The PA2 has a very forward, vibrant sound with a very low noise floor.

The Go-Vibe is now on version 3 and I am only familiar with the current version two. The V3 model is roughly $25 more than the PA2 and, assuming it sounds equals or exceeds the V2 model, it is worth the difference. Because its opamp is socketed and interchangeable, it can be infinitely extended with a sound tailored to user preference. As such, the Go-Vibe is a bit more sophisticated than the PA2 and it soundstage and transparency will appeal to the audio purist.

Both of these amps offer high value for the price paid and both are supported by meticulous designers with superb customer support. They are comparable products and any differences are likely to be subjective. Both are great products at their respective price points.

Jul 16, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 7
I've never heard the PA2V2, but I have a Go-Vibe 2 (a few of which are still available new from Norm at the moment, by the way) and I think it drives my HD-600 (and AKG-K501's -- a hard pair to drive) quite well, considering its price and portability. Of course, the Go-Vibe is not quite as portable as the PA2V2, but I have enjoyed the versatility of the Go-Vibe, considering its socketed opamps. I have to say that I've tried the Go-Vibe with a LOT of different opamps and have found several to be suitable for the different headphones I use. I think it keeps me from being bored with the same amp, and because I use it on the go, I liked its price point at around $65.

Because of its status as my portable amp, I wouldn't have my amp plugged into the wall that often. I therefore have no problems swapping out the batteries in the Go-Vibe, and I personally don't find the in-amp charging system of the PA2V2 to be something I've missed having on the Go-Vibe. However, you might like having the option of AC power/recharging available to you. I think with either amp, you would be happy with your choice, but you'd need to weigh your priorities in terms of portability and features. Good luck!

Jul 16, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 7
Haven't heard the Pa2v2, but I did own the Go-Vibe v.2 and it was a terrific little amp. It sounded great with just about anything I tried it with, including Grados and Sennheisers. The Go-Vibe should be able to nicely tighten up the bass of the HD 650, which some people have found to be slow and/or "sloppy." When you consider the fact that the GV works well with many headphones as well as the op-amp rolling possibilities, it's really a no-brainer at $70 or anywhere near it. You really do get a lot for your money with this amp.

Other options at that price point might be a Super Mini Moy, or even a portable JMT pimeta. I bet a Pimeta and HD 650 would be a nice combo...
600smile.gif

However, why are you buying an entry-level amp for one of the best headphones on the market?
confused.gif
I hear the HD 650 and SR-71 get along very well...
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2005 at 9:37 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
However, why are you buying an entry-level amp for one of the best headphones on the market?
confused.gif
I hear the HD 650 and SR-71 get along very well...
wink.gif

Because, hearing is believing. I haven't heard anything via headphone amp. So I rather try with cheap amp first, just in case I don't hear any noticeable difference. Ie. minimize possible losses. Not living in north america makes selling unwanted gear bit difficult (not that many potential buyers and high postage cost to north america where the masses are).

Thank you for all the replies..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back