Entry level audiophile looking for headphones that excel in highs - M50 / DT770 / HFI-780 / SRH840
Mar 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Viperr

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I've been thinking about getting some decent headphones for a while but as soon as I began my research, I was bombarded by different possibilities. What I am trying to look for are headphones that are fairly neutral but bright highs. I really enjoy listening to vocals and acoustic guitars, with the occasional rock/dubstep/pop. I'm trying to stay within the $100-200 price range which is kind of inflexible.

The 4 headphones I listed in the title are the ones I have gathered from my research and if I am not mistaken, they are probably the best headphones under $200. I'm looking for some help in distinguishing them. I know the M50s are known for being uncomfortable and bass heavy, while the DT770s are much more comfortable. The 780s and 840s probably have better highs with a subdued bass.

To clear up any questions, I prefer isolation and over-ear headphones. These will be primarily used at home, so portability is not an issue. Thanks!

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 3
I got my DT770 two weeks ago and it would fit your criteria of over-ear headphones. I also find them to be a good choice for dubstep, dance, house. They isolate pretty well in my opinion, but I don't think that would be a problem for you since it will be mainly used at home.

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 3
The SHR-840's are fairly neutral with more emphasis on the mids. Bass is good, not lacking to my ears. Highs are good, but don't really stand out at all and probably not what you are looking for.

The SHR-940's on the the other hand have wonderful highs with a good bit more detail over the 840's as well. I have found that while the treble is bright, it isn't fatiguing at all. Mids are still great. Bass is tight, accurate and extends well. Not a whole lot of strong bass impact though, which doesn't bother me since i listen to a lot of jazz, acoustic,vocalists. They are decent for dubstep and rock, but I tend to reach for my DT880's more for those genres. The 940's are heavenly for vocals and guitars. Also more comfortable than 840's for me.

That being said 940's are a little bit out of your price range, unless you can find a good used pair. Well worth saving a little extra cash or buying used over the 840's in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back