entry level amp
May 22, 2005 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

benmarker

New Head-Fier
i have never had an amp before, but after looking at this forum and talking to some of my more audiophiliac friends, ive decided that i should get an amp. i listen to exclusively rock, so an amp with better bass would be best. i have a low budget, $100-150 at most, and i was considering the pocket amp v2 before thinking about increasing my budget a bit. if i were to get a more expensive amp, would it really all that much better than one of the cheaper ones? so what would be a good entry level amp for me?

May 22, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by benmarker
i have never had an amp before, but after looking at this forum and talking to some of my more audiophiliac friends, ive decided that i should get an amp. i listen to exclusively rock, so an amp with better bass would be best. i have a low budget, $100-150 at most, and i was considering the pocket amp v2 before thinking about increasing my budget a bit. if i were to get a more expensive amp, would it really all that much better than one of the cheaper ones? so what would be a good entry level amp for me?

What headphones and source will you be using, and do you want it to be portable?

May 22, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

What cans are you planning to use?

I like my pocket amp2. Great for low impedence cans. Sounds smooth with my KSC75 and SR40.

Garrett

May 22, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Well, I have the pocket amp ($60), and it's working well with my SR 60's and also even my Beyer 250-250's (but that may be it's limit in terms of driving high impedance cans). There is a thread on here comparing the pocket amp withthe go-vibe ($69) -- both have their pros and cons, both are very portable, and both can work with most cans in the sub $150 range.

If you don't need portability as much, the Xenos 3HA is in your budget, and has a bass and treble control:

http://www.aptecpro.com/

It is pretty big, however.

For a starter amp, I don't think you could go wrong with either the pocket amp or the go-vibe
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back