Entering the next level in mobile SQ - need IEM suggestions.
Nov 11, 2008 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

neopac

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I´ve recently bought a Sony NWZ-S638F and i´m stunned about the SQ he´s allready pulling out of the OTB IEMs. Besides some crap 5$ IEMs i´m owning a pair of Sennheiser CX300 IEMs .. allways thought that they sound pretty nice, but the Sony is kinda pitiles in exposing bad gear .. the comparison between the Sony Earphones and the Sennheiser showed me the deficiencies of both.

I did some research and ended up totally confused ... there showed so many good brands up i´ve never heared about ... this and the fakt that the Sony NWZ is a "low power source" and i could end up with expensive Earphones unable to drive them proper i´m asking for your help.

general conditions:
- Pricerange: 150$ +/-
- Orientation: audiophile Basshead (
wink.gif
hope you know what i mean .. CX300 was the right start, there should be better sounding with similar roots)
- Musicstyle: trip-hop ; hip-hop ; electronic ; some pop if it´s worth
- should work pretty loud with low power output (without amp)

Thank you!

cheers
neopac

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 15
*giving it a bump*

....and to get more specific .. My research led me to the "ultimate ears super.fi 5 EB" ... this IEM seems to deliver exactly what i´m looking for....but....they are a bit over my budget (but that would be ok) and i think i would earn many strange looks wearing those ENORMOUS Plugs ... if you have any other IEMs in mind with similar Sound please speak up.

Thank you!

cheers
neopac

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 15
The Futuresonic's Atrio M5/M8 is supposed to have very good bass quality and quantity, and should suit you music tastes although I'm not sure what they'll cost you in US $. I haven't heard them buty there's a massive thread on head fi about them.

Also, the Denon C700/C751 are also meant to have good bass without distorting the rest of the sound. There's another lartge thred on these that I found very helpful on here too if you use the search tool. I'm ordering some next week
regular_smile .gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 15
hi,

actually i´m from Europe...only wrote my budget in $ cause this seems to be a worldwide forum.

Future sonics will break my financial limit big times....found a pair for about 200$ on Ebay without shipping overseas...

@denon
i´ve read alot about the denon C751...but reading these threads, there are many people prefering the Sennheiser CX95 over the Denon...what brings me to my next point.
CX95 seems to have a warm bassy Sound and are everybodys darling in the sub 100€ region. I could get the CX95 cans for about 70€ within a 3 minutes walk from my work.

denon C751 would cost me 122€
UE super.fi 5 EB about 129€+10€ shipping

thank you for your thoughts.

cheers
neopac

btw. this was the pic that made me wonder if the sound benefits would be worth looking like frankenstein with screws in my ears
wink.gif

http://www.inears.de/blog/wp-content...8/dscf0128.JPG

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 15
i'm yet to come across anyone prefering cx95's over denon's, but there are probably some. I haven't seen much on the cx95's on here so i assumed they're not brilliant for the price.

If you're in the uk, you can get denon's for about £70 from iheadphones (just google it), which is much better than the £150 its supposed to retail for.

Watch out for cheap sennheisers, because theses an awful lot of fake ones about that are hard to distinguish from real ones package wise.

If you do get the cx95's can you write a short review?

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 15
I have the UE Super.fi 5 EB and I enjoy them thoroughly. I can throw about as much bass at them as I want and they don't distort.

My primary listening environment is Winamp with the MAD MP3 input plugin @ 24 bits combined with the Studio Sound FX plugin (DSP + output plugin combined) from QOLabs and iZotope Ozone as my DSP plugin.

I have also used my EB in portable players (mainly a Sansa View and my Samsung cellphone), and half volume or less is all I can stand, so no amp is required to power these. None to little EQ modification is necessary on a portable player for great sound (Although I like the bass these things put out).

I have heard good things about the Atrio M5/M8, Klipsch Image X10 and SA6 (supposed to have best clarity for bass returned, although it's less bass than the others) for bassheads, but I haven't heard them personally yet so I can't compare or contrast them to the UE 5 EB.

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 15
Hi,

Quote:

'm yet to come across anyone prefering cx95's over denon's, but there are probably some. I haven't seen much on the cx95's on here so i assumed they're not brilliant for the price.

that's right...the C751 opinions on this forum are pretty clear "pro" C751.

Today i went to my local dealer and got a chance to test the CX95 ... pretty nice sounding can i've got to say...but i'm definitely missing the "wow" effect i've expected. All the listening with my new Sony made me desperate for a little more ... SQ .... so i find myself listening more and more to different styles of music (even 320kb classic) just for the fun of it, wondering what the optimum combination would sound like... but that's a damn pity and it throws me back to the start of my problem, getting new IEMs cause i've raised my budget with additional 100€
wink.gif
for a total of about 200€-250€ (being so crazy to spend 100€ on earplugs...damn, why not spend 200€
jecklinsmile.gif
)

So..Denons are still pretty high in my personal ranking but the new budget gets me in the region of UE ... Shure .... Westone .... etc. and i've got more research to do ... to bad i can't test them.... Sennheiser CX95 is pretty much the top notch of plugs in stores i could test them (vienna / austria) there sure are audiophile stores around, but they all got prices i'm not willing to pay.

thanks for all the advices...pretty nice(nerdy) community here
tongue.gif

if someone got any suggestions for my new budget..let me know..

cheers
neopac
ps: damn i'm so prone to things that hurt my wallet
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 15
With a budget like that you'll definately find somehting good.
Not sure if you can get Shure SE530's for that, but you can get them for about £220-230 in the UK. They're generally the top notch IEM without going custom, and from what I've read have plenty of well defined bass.

Also, Ultimate ears triple-fi 10's are said to be even better by many, although I've seen a thread or two saying they lack bass, suggesting they may not be right for you.

Westone UM2's I think are buyable in that price range too, and are regarded as having plenty of bass.

Basically, look around on head fi, check the search feature, and check the for sale forum too, as you can find many a bargain.

NOTE: I have heard none of the IEM's talked about above, and am basing what I've said on what I've seen from reviews and on Head-fi.

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #11 of 15
I just scored the Future Sonics M5 for $160 shipped from Road Dog On Line via Ebay. As stated somewhere on this site, you "make an offer" and they will respond with a counteroffer. I tried $120, and got it for $149. I could have got it for $142 earlier if I had accepter the first counteroffer. I do not know if they ship overseas. I had to call Road Dog to straighten out some billing with Paypal and I talked to a real person. Friendly even!

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 15
Choosing between se530 and triple.fi should be easy.

se530 emphasis on mid to low region which meant bass are better quality and probably go lower.

triple.fi emphasis on mid to high region which meant treble are better defined.

um2 is another bass can i owned before. many say its sound signature similar to se530. This might be a good starting point for your highend iem since the comfort, durability and sound quality are very good. But the bass quality/quantity of UM2 might spoiled u if decide to upgrade later
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quality/quantity of UM2 might spoiled u if decide to upgrade later
smily_headphones1.gif

By this, do you mean that the bass of the UM2 is so good that everything else will sound disapointing?

Nov 14, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #14 of 15
Hi Guys,

I want to say thank you for every suggestion you've made....i finally got me a new pair of IEMs.

i'm now proud owner of the new Sennheiser IE8
smily_headphones1.gif
They were stock at my local "computer dealer" and changed holder for terrific 186€ ... couldn't resist at this price.

First Impression: worth every cent
wink.gif
hard to give you more detailed info cause this level of SQ is new to me and they are just WOW in every therm i could think of. (finally got the wow effect i was missing with the cx95). Desperate to hear them in a calm environment, cause my office is pretty noisy with all those players doing big business
wink.gif

Just one short question to the "burn in" process (know it's been said 1000times but "burn in" is a ugly therm for your search engine)

i've downloaded a pinknoise wave file yesterday and a silence file....each 1min....my thoughts were, to make a playlist with 10min pinknoise 1min silence and play this over and over again for a maximum of..let's say 10hours....then some hours rest....then again.....for about 150hours....

is this the right course? any other suggestions?

thank you!

cheers
neopac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back