entering the audiophile world..
Jan 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

milesjohnson

New Head-Fier
Hello guys so I'm sure you have all heard this story before over and over again but I need some help 
smily_headphones1.gif

Soooo I've always wanted a nice pair of headphones but never did to much research on the background. Well the other day I was looking around at the store and of course, picked out the Beats Studios, most peoples first choice who dont know much about headphones. Now they were a christmas gift so I am not really to worried about the overpriciness of them....

but i was wondering if there might be a better choice for the price. Now as a nonaudiophile the Beats sound pretty good to me, super comfortable, and they look nice (all it takes to really please a non audiophile). But then again i can kind of hear the "muddyness" others were talking about on the forum & THIS is what created my journey to look for a nice pair of headphones.

So I may be returning my beats but what would you guys recommend that would make me very satisfied but for around the same price or less? 

Thankyou guys so much

, Future audiophile

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 17
What sort of music do you listen to? Do the headphones need to be portable? Do you like lots of bass like the beats? Do you want the headphones to look stylish? etc

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #3 of 17
mostly rap/hiphop/some alternative. i also enjoy other genres with generally heavy bass. for me they sound pretty good with the type of genre i listen to but i was wondering how they would compare to a headphone like Audio Technica M50 maybe? as far as the genres i listen to (rap/hip hop mostly) also how do the solo hds compare to the studios

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 17
The beats don't sound TERRIBLE but you're paying for marketing. The M50s are half the price of the studios and sound much better. M50s will have less bass than the beats they don't produce that overwhelming bass you get from the beats that bleeds throughout the mids. The m50s will have more detail and clarity.

Also do you need the noise cancelling on the studios?

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 17
Not sure, I don't live in the US. Can you purchase them from amazon and if you don't like them send them back?

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
The beats don't sound TERRIBLE but you're paying for marketing. The M50s are half the price of the studios and sound much better. M50s will have less bass than the beats they don't produce that overwhelming bass you get from the beats that bleeds throughout the mids. The m50s will have more detail and clarity.

Also do you need the noise cancelling on the studios?

noise cancelling isnt needed but is preferred. would i have to order the m50s online? what stores could i check. 

also what might be some other options considering my music style that might be available maybe in stores to compare? I am looking for over the ear headphones

just called up best buy and they said their online only and i wouldnt really want to buy them before i tried them

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #10 of 17
the M50 would be much clearer overall. but doesn't have as much bass as the studios (which is a good thing to most except some bassheads)

also the idea of trying from amazon seems like a good idea.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
might just stick with my studios :/

Well you did say "Beats sound pretty good to me, super comfortable, and they look nice", that's the most important thing, what they sound like to you. The only thing is though value for money, they are so overpriced, you can get superior sounding headphones for half the price. With regards to other suggestions, hopefully somebody else can chime in. I've not tried that many headphones but I've tried the M50s and Studios and for me the M50s are the clear winner.

With whatever you decide, good luck :)

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
also where could i compare the two? Would a best buy or any other store have the Audio Technica M50? I only see them online

Best Buy doesn't have the Audio Technica M50, but they will have plenty of excellent headphones in the same price range.

The M50 are really overrated, if you bought Beats, I'm expecting you want some headphones with style, build quality and a well-known name that sound good. Best Buy has a wide variety of headphones you can listen to nowadays, but it really depends on your store. New and remodeled stores have a headphone section with plenty of places to audition and if you have a Magnolia they also have a section in there.

Some good headphones BBY carries...
If you're going to go cheap, they sell the Sennheiser HD280Pro. However, these are not good for rap and hip-hop. Very neutral sound.
People on here will tell you Monster is crap...maybe for HDMI, but Monster is not terrible. The Monster Inspiration with passive noise cancellation are quite good.
A little bit lesser, the Sol Republic Ultra Tracks are great headphones with a fantastic response curve, once again, I post graphs to back this up. These are a good combination of cheap and style.
If you have a Magnolia BBY, they will have the Bowers and Wilkins P5. There are multiple rave reviews on here, one from Jude.
Lastly, if you have a Magnolia BBY, they will also have the AKG K550. Probably the best of the bunch, but they're big. You can read rave reviews EVERYWHERE for these headphones. Look good & sound even better. Not very portable, though, IMO. Check them out and see.

Any of these will be great. The M50 are not for you, based off your preference. BBY has a no hassle 30 day return policy, as well. They will price match Amazon. Why buy from Amazon, then? Haha.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #13 of 17
about monster, the monster diesel vektr is actually not that bad from what i tried at the shop if you like bass heavy stuff

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
about monster, the monster diesel vektr is actually not that bad from what i tried at the shop if you like bass heavy stuff

Those are really good too. Monster has stepped up their game with headphones, even the DNA are not half terrible. I just can't get past the design of the Vektr, good lord.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Those are really good too. Monster has stepped up their game with headphones, even the DNA are not half terrible. I just can't get past the design of the Vektr, good lord.

like rounded earpads (of course earpads have to be rounded) against a super angular earcup and headband design? i understand what you mean
biggrin.gif

(diamond tears look really odd to me too
blink.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back