Entech Number Cruncher
Feb 25, 2006 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Cousin Patty

Headphoneus Supremus
What do you guys think about the Entech Number Cruncher 203.2 DAC? I would want to use it with the digital out of my Audigy 2 ZS and run from the DAC into my Corda Aria. Anybody have any experience with this DAC?

Feb 25, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
What do you guys think about the Entech Number Cruncher 203.2 DAC? I would want to use it with the digital out of my Audigy 2 ZS and run from the DAC into my Corda Aria. Anybody have any experience with this DAC?

I used to have a 205.2 that I liked...detailed & uncolored, maybe a little (and I mean very, very little) crispy in the highs compared to much more expensive stuff, but they're great considering what you can get them for used.

Got a glowing review from Brian Damkroger at Stereophile back in the day, unfortunately that review isn't available online. Great review here, however, by famed mastering engineer Bob Katz.

You don't like the DAC that's built in to the Aria?

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 17
I dont use the DAC thats built into the Aria because it makes the music much too quiet IMO. Even with all the volume settings at max on my soundcard and in Foobar, I cannot reach a desirable volume level. I dont think I'm doing anything wrong...am I?

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 17
I own the Entech unit and have been using it for over six months now. It is a great little unit for the price I paid. I have not done any direct comparisons with other DAC units, but I prefer it over my modded 0404. I have tried it out of an Audigy 2 as well, and you just have to make sure that you have Foobar resample.

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 17
Could you explain a little more about having Foobar resample? What settings to use, why is this necessary etc?

Feb 25, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Could you explain a little more about having Foobar resample? What settings to use, why is this necessary etc?

The audigy resamples everything internally to 48khz. It does a pretty horrible jobe of it too. If you use a high quality resampling plugin (such as the ones included with Foobar) to resample to 48khz then the audigy wont need too. This improves the sound quality a bit.

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 17
So, could I start using Foobar's resampler right now and see an improvement? Or would it not matter before I have a DAC?

Feb 25, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

So, could I start using Foobar's resampler right now and see an improvement? Or would it not matter before I have a DAC?

Yes. It will make an improvement whether you are using the digital or analog outputs of the card.

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 17
What's the difference between the PPHS resampler and the SSRC?

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

What's the difference between the PPHS resampler and the SSRC?

From what I understand the PPHS is less resource consuming and the SSRC is the best quality.

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 17
Well, two things to consider about the Entechs -- (A) They're made by Monster Cable, I think (sort of another Bose), and (B) They use Sigma-Delta (1-bit) DACs, which to my ears tend to sound nice but not very realistic, and are not as "audiophile approved" as other DAC types. Neither of these things may mean very much to someone, just thought I'd air 'em out.

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #13 of 17
Well I'd like to have something 'audiophile approved'. That is why I'm here afterall. What are some DACs that are 'audiophile approved', but at the same time around the same price range as the Entech?

Feb 26, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Well, two things to consider about the Entechs -- (A) They're made by Monster Cable, I think (sort of another Bose), and (B) They use Sigma-Delta (1-bit) DACs, which to my ears tend to sound nice but not very realistic, and are not as "audiophile approved" as other DAC types. Neither of these things may mean very much to someone, just thought I'd air 'em out.

Uhh.. the Benchmark DAC-1 uses a Sigma-Delta DAC and I'm pretty sure it's "audiophile approved".
confused.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #15 of 17
This is the bad/good thing about forums, there are about just as many differing opinons as there are people on the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back