enjoying my new Apogee Duet, question about headphones and cables
Oct 24, 2008 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

otprof

100+ Head-Fier
Yesterday I picked up an Apogee Duet to use with my Macbook Pro, and it is totally sweet. I believe it compares favorably with my former HR Micro Stack, and sounds a lot better than the iPod/Go-Vibe combo through Ety ER-4Ss.

I have two uses for the Duet other than listening. I am going to use it to play music from my computer for my weekly radio show on campus (http://wpls.furman.edu), and I want to create nice sounding podcasts and recordings for my classes. [OT: Anyone want to recommend a good desktop podcasting mic?]

What open phones would be good for listening to music and editing my recordings? I have the K81DJ's coming to use in the studio, but I would like some open cans with good Duet synergy.

I have owned most Grados between the SR-60 and the RS-2 as well as the AKG K701, though I don't have anything reference-quality right now. I listen mostly to rock and indie, with some roots and bluegrass thrown in for good measure. No real budget constraints right now, but don't go crazy, as they say.
L3000.gif

Edit to add one technical question. I will be using an RCA input for the radio station mixer board, so what is the best way to connect the Duet to that? Will one of the Duet's 1/4" line-outs give a stereo signal, or do I need to connect each 1/4" output to an RCA input (red and white)? Or should I use a 1/4" stereo-to-RCA cable from the headphone jack of the Duet?

Capisci?

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 4

GMF2010

500+ Head-Fier
To assist with your desktop mic question, I just bought an Audio Technica AT2020 USB Cardioid Condenser Mic which I have had nothing but positive results with so far. Depending on the area from which you will be broadcasting, you may want to buy a shock mount and/or a pop filter for it, especially if you have anything on your desk that vibrates and is in close vicinity to the mic (laptop, external HD, etc.).

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 4

Jaska

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by otprof /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone want to recommend a good desktop podcasting mic?

I just use my FireWire iSight as a mic for podcasting, and I'm quite happy with it. Surely you can do better than this, though, by plugging something into your Duet.

Quote:

What open phones would be good for listening to music and editing my recordings? I have the K81DJ's coming to use in the studio, but I would like some open cans with good Duet synergy.

I would give a strong recommendation for the HD580. From the Duet's headphone amp, that's the best sound I've gotten so far after using plenty of different headphones with it.

Oct 25, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 4

otprof

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks for the tips, guys. On the cable question, I did some Googling around, and it seems that I need to run two 1/4 mono phone plugs into the board's RCA inputs (L and R). Just for the record.

Switching between the Ety ER4s and the K81DJ is rather shocking to the system, but in a very pleasurable way.

Users who are viewing this thread