enhancing the HD600...
Jan 6, 2006 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Dexon

100+ Head-Fier
curent sys: Sony XA-20 ES, HD600

What should i upgrade first in order to improve resolution and details? Tube amp like EARMAX pro, Musical Fidelity X-can V3, MEIXING (MING-DA) - MC66-AE?
Or to change the source first to something like Sony X-3000, Musical Fidelity X-ray, Rega Planet...............

Jan 6, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 15
Are you completely unhappy with the HD600? or do you just want to fine tune its fundamental signature?

Garrett

Jan 6, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 15
It's really hard to just recommend a source and amp at the drop of a hat. Tell us what you don't like about the HD600's. Like Garrett said, what improvements would you like to see?

Jan 6, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 15
I want to fine tune its fundamental signature but i'm really confused. HD600's are excellent, esspecialy in terms of resolution and natural
balance and timbre, so i'm aware that source could be much better to exploit thier full potential. Hooked directly into Sony it doesn't seem
they lack control or whatever, although, all that talk about dedicated amps makes me wonder should i get one for myself. If i change the CDP
first, choice will be limited to models with headphone output (Sony X3000, Marantzs...) as i dont like results from output of my integrated amp.
It's not as direct and transparent when signal goes through. I dont have budget to buy both at once so i'm need your expertise to tell me what
would make more dramtic improvments, dedicated amp (preferably tube) or new CDP. I must notice that in my country sound enthusiast are wery rare
and thre's no local distributors of mentioned equipment. Whaterver i choose to buy it will be without a prior listening as i must order electronics
from abroad.

P.S. In my CD player: Brahms, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, Faure, Prokofiev, Andreas Vollenweider

Jan 6, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 15
I think your next step should be a good amp, the HD600 are in desperate need of one to shine. As the HD600 are already quite smooth and laid back, I don't think that a tube amp would be the first choice for them -> they can use a little solid-state snap.

The HD600 aren't too hard to drive, so you have a lot of options for the amp. How much do you want to spend?

A good entry level amp would be the Headsafe Go-Vibe which can be had for 80$. But the price range for headphone-amps doesn't really have an upper border
tongue.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 15
I can tell you (and probably most 'round here will agree
evil_smiley.gif
) that the best thing to do is to add an dedicated headphone amp to the chain.

Amp may/will give you an improvement in control, clarity, sounstage and detail over the headphone out of an CDP.

As for the recommendation, you'll have to ask somebody with a pair of HD600
biggrin.gif

The best thing to do is to search the "Amplification" forum, or if you're lazy
very_evil_smiley.gif
, start a tread there about an amp for the HD600.

If you are into DIY you can build a Cmoy (very easy to build) tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/ to test the benefits of an amp in the signal path.

EDIT: Ikon beat me... I type very slow
biggrin.gif

Cheers...

P.S. Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet!

Jan 6, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 15
I'd say you should look at an amp first. Perhaps a Corda Aria (Meier Audio), or Lehmann Audio's Black Cube Linear.

Jan 7, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 15
Well, there's no doubt, i should purchase an amp. Should i really avoid tube models? I rarely listen percussion music and to me my setup is already fast enough. Isn't it tube amp more obvious choice for classical music fan?
Who made that damned amps like Slam ppx3 and Opera Consonance Cyber 20? I can't google out nothing about them. All that chinese frightening me. Are those amps really worht that endeavour while having X-can v3 and Earmax on this world?

Jan 7, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #10 of 15
I am so happy with my HD600 out of EarMax Pro. Even using the stock tuby tubes, it is great. If you have some extra money, don't hesitate, upgrade the tubes to all three telefunken's. For me, It's worth the money.

singlepower makes great amp as well. do a quick search here, they are outstanding for sennheiser cans.

Jan 7, 2006 at 10:06 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu
I am so happy with my HD600 out of EarMax Pro. Even using the stock tuby tubes, it is great. If you have some extra money, don't hesitate, upgrade the tubes to all three telefunken's. For me, It's worth the money.

singlepower makes great amp as well. do a quick search here, they are outstanding for sennheiser cans.

Dear Edison,

How about 600+EarMax Pro combo??? Sounds great!!!

No chance listen them in my place.

Thanks!!!

Jan 7, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexon
Well, there's no doubt, i should purchase an amp. Should i really avoid tube models?

That's up to you, but I'd simply trust solid state stuff more (when well done). Tubes of the same type are not all created equal, they wear out, and not infrequently they're merely used to add euphonic coloration. That being said, the PPX3 SLAM as a tube amp seems to be very "fast" by any measure, and the Black Cube Linear as solid state gear is supposed to be very "analog" sounding. You can build great amps both ways.

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #13 of 15
I'm using the HD 600 with a Rega Ear and this actually made quite a big difference. Before that I plugged them directly into a Technics SL-PS770D.
Oh well, I upgraded my source too since then. I also have a Sony now, namely a CDP-X559ES.
Now my system is sounding very very nice but I also think that you should get yourself a good amp and things will look way better
600smile.gif
At least this was my experience and I used them for about one year unamped...

Jan 7, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #14 of 15
I have long had a pair of HD600's. I drive them with a Headroom Little amp. To get adequate volume I have to turn the amp volume setting up to about 80% of its maximum (even the ER-4S's seem to require a lot less "oomph." I guess this is because of the 300 ohms impedance. For classical and acoustical music, I love the 600's. For rock and electronic music, however, it really lacks punch, and sometimes the overall quality seems excessively "airy." I have wondered if with a stronger amp this would change? Or is that just the nature of the 600's? Or is it me?
eek.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #15 of 15
Tube amps are said to have bad synergy with the HD 600, because they make it even warmer and woolier.

The Headroom Micro with Desktop Module gets great reviews with the the HD 600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back