English soccer superstar David Beckham in Los Angeles Galaxy!
Feb 24, 2007 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11
David Beckham will play for Los Angeles Galaxy.
His five-year contract is worth 27.5 million.
It's a fraction of his $250 million income.
He'll be MLS's highest paid player $27.5 million deal

I remember that last year (around the World Cup) Brazilian Ronaldo was offered $100 million
to play for New York Red Bulls but he turned the offer down.
blink.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 11
Wasn't this announced about a month ago?

Feb 24, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 11
It's a pity because he's still to good to be retiring or playing for Los Angeles as they call it. I think he's obviously overrated in general terms but rather underrated by coaches and serious fans. Every time I see him play against Munich, my home team, he puts on a very good performence, usually counting himsel among the top three guys of the match.

As for generating a soccer buzz in the US, which apparently the "sports masterminds" have in plan for him, it's not going to happen. Beckenbauer and Pele, much grander players, didn't bring soccer into the limelight in the US and neither will Beckham. There are so many reasons soccer will not succeed anytime soon such as the lack of commercial breaks and the little extravaganza and showmanship in the play itself. Football and Nascar for the US, soccer and Formula 1 for Europe.

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Word, old news.
redface.gif

Not really. The previous news, was just on the 250 mill he would get, for coming to L.A.

The news that people are talking about, is the price tag of his actual contract to play soccer, on the team. Which is 27.5 mill, over 5 years.

Though he is worth every single penny, 250 million included

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 11
Beckham is not overrated, he was a brilliant player but IMO his best years are behind him. Between 1997 to 2002 he was the best right sided midfield player in the world. He's not the quickest nor the most skillful but his passing and shooting from outside the box was second no none, and then there is also his freekicks too.

$250million for a 32 year old is buying his image, not his footballing skill. He's not worth that much as a footballer, but is in marketing terms.

Feb 25, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 11
Ya, as a soccer player only, his contract would be worth what the other top players are making, around 1 or 2 million a year.
Will he win you a championship in L.A? Probably not, but he will award you a few possible extra wins, if he scores at a high rate, or has a few game winners, which could in turn increase your chances to win a championship

But in marketing, think Air Jordan, and then some

Feb 25, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 11
You know the 250Mil includes the rights to the Beckham brand name as well right? I'm not sure of the exact figures, but I heard that it is a 50/50 split.

Feb 25, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 11
from what i've read, he is only being paid $400K per year by the LA Galexy, the rest of the money comes from an entertainment company in partnership with the Galexy, which gets rights to the marketing and some other stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back