End game DAC
Oct 14, 2018 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Darksoul

100+ Head-Fier
After much perusing I've settled on an AMP that will be the last one I use; for a long while at least. The Violectric V200 it should arrive in a week. Currently I'm using the A30/D30 Topping combo to power my DT-1990 and other headphones, I'm quite happy with the D30, but let's say if I want a significant upgrade, what should I aim for?

My first thought was the V800; the matching pair of the V200, but out of a whim I want to keep DSD support, so that rules out the V800. I'm not sold on the Chord Hugo either, I find its price outrageous for what it offers and on a less objective note, I really hate the way it looks...moving on. I've also considered stuff like the Aune X1S and maybe the the D30 bigger brother, the Topping D50.

When I picked the V200 I was looking for power, however, when looking for my end game DAC I'm really lost at what I'm supposed to look for. I know I want to keep DSD support (I don't even have that many DSD files) but aside from that I really don't know what's to gain with more expensive DACs.

The reason I'm looking to "upgrade" is consistency: 600 USD HP + 600+ USD AMP + 100 USD DAC? for reasons beyond me, I want to keep everything on the same price bracket. Like having a thousand dollar suit worn with a pair of 50 dollar shoes; price does not equate quality, but for the sake of this conversation, let's say it does apply to shoes and hopefully DACs as well.

One thing I really want from the DAC is detail retrieval and a flat, uncolored signature; I'm leaving the "coloring" to the V200 alleged dark signature. And that's pretty much it. I'm open to suggestions, budget is 600 dollars.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 3
Topping D50 would suit you. It's the best measuring DAC for its price range so you can be assured that it won't mess with the coloration you want from the V200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back