End-game Dac hunting 4-5k
May 4, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #46 of 132
well this sounds like an interesting program. the dealer sends you 3 dacs of your choosing and you get to compare them. The catch is you have to buy the dac off them. Well that just sounds too good to be true!!

May 5, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #47 of 132
lol. No, you get one loaner at a time. To be honest, for most dealers $4-5k is probably the lower middle lines they carry, so they should be fine loaning you one provided you are a customer (buy something first, establish a relationship). For $10k+ equipment they typically want to bring it to your house and they will stay there while you test - probably not feasible now days.

May 5, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #48 of 132
Well thanks, I'll bring that up with the dealer that I'm buying my dac off of. Mind you, it might be awhile before I can get mine. Much like @koven has discovered. My dealer has no Rockna Wavelight dacs in stock either, and is currently sitting at 9 Wavelights back ordered.

May 5, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #49 of 132
Well thanks, I'll bring that up with the dealer that I'm buying my dac off of. Mind you, it might be awhile before I can get mine. Much like @koven has discovered. My dealer has no Rockna Wavelight dacs in stock either, and is currently sitting at 9 Wavelights back ordered.

Yep I ordered the Wavelight last week, my ETA for US delivery is 3-4 weeks.

May 5, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #52 of 132
I was playing in this same price range. Just got a new Lampizator Amber 3 with their newly revised standard USB module and it has easily exceeded my expectations after having tried a number of dacs. I was toying with the idea of a Holo May but the qualities of the Amber 3 are what I like - a huge, layered, spacious, clear soundstage with palpable yet smooth dynamics. It's a keeper. Bonus points for fast and silent switches between PCM and DSD512 native, and the ability to always upgrade to newer Lampi revisions/models. (you can order whatever inputs you want, SE/Balanced, and Volume control)

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #53 of 132
So I'm stupid to buy a Nicolae Jitariu dac?? That's like saying it's stupid to buy a dac from one of the top 5 dac designer in the world. It makes zero cents.
You obviously like vintage TOTL. Let's indulge you and look at the evolution of electronics in general. Take for example when Plasma tv's came out in 1997 it was the TOTL at the time, and a 42“ was $15,000!!! NOW plasma tv's are discontinued. Today you can get a 55' OLED for just $1200 that blow the doors off of that Plasma. Are you operating with an TOTL computer or TOTL cellphone from 8 years ago? Today, even a mid level phone or comp will easily surpass those TOTL's in every way. So I really fail to see your point.
I would guess the lack of response is because the guy you quoted thinks your argument is pretty thin and a lost cause to continue. But I will try...

This is not like comparing a cellphone or computer. This is like comparing a sports car. And as you may know, it is often advised to look for a TOTL sports car from 10-20 years ago vs. buying new, as the heart of the car (handling, driving experience, engine, response, experience) are all relatively competitive with current cars, for a fraction of the price. And a steal vs. new sports car prices.

Up above, another poster asked what you're looking for in the DAC; PCM, DSD, Redbook, networked, USB, SPDIF, etc., etc.

That is what 15 years of technological development is buying you.

But if, let's say, you're only demanding Redbook resolution music files over Tidal via SPDIf out or via a DDC like the Singxer, then the "new car amenities" are just eating your budget while offering no real benefits vs. the 10-20 year old uber-DAC.

But if you're looking for style, bells and whistles, warranty, and being able to post online and find compatriots, then maybe a newer DAC is for you.

I personally wouldn't buy a +10 year old DAC. I understand and agree that TOTL, $20-40k DACs are, really likely better than anything else down the cost bracket for years to come, BUT, I've been charmed by DSD512 in my T+A DAC 8 DSD and it was fun setting up my system to enable that, to where I'm not really demanding much more in source performance now and I'm getting my senses back and focusing on the speakers, headphones, and preamp that ties all the enablement and joy together.

So, I'd go for a used Denafrips Terminator, upscale to DSD 512, and then channel all my cash into high-end headphones and speakers.

/Edit: I would also consider the Wavelight and Hydra Vox set. I don't care to name drop about the designer, but I've owned and listened to other Audiobyte and Rockna equipment and really liked them, and they also have the DSD512 to charm me with~

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #54 of 132
Pretty sure you can find a used Rockna Wavedream single-ended if patient enough. A used Aqua La Scala MK2 Optologic should also be considered, and I saw it showed up more frequently on the internet than Rockna. These two are all in your range. I own a lower-tier Aqua La Voce S3, but already a huge improvement from my Hugo2.

May 25, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #56 of 132
I would guess the lack of response is because the guy you quoted thinks your argument is pretty thin and a lost cause to continue. But I will try...

This is not like comparing a cellphone or computer. This is like comparing a sports car. And as you may know, it is often advised to look for a TOTL sports car from 10-20 years ago vs. buying new, as the heart of the car (handling, driving experience, engine, response, experience) are all relatively competitive with current cars, for a fraction of the price. And a steal vs. new sports car prices.

Up above, another poster asked what you're looking for in the DAC; PCM, DSD, Redbook, networked, USB, SPDIF, etc., etc.

That is what 15 years of technological development is buying you.

But if, let's say, you're only demanding Redbook resolution music files over Tidal via SPDIf out or via a DDC like the Singxer, then the "new car amenities" are just eating your budget while offering no real benefits vs. the 10-20 year old uber-DAC.

But if you're looking for style, bells and whistles, warranty, and being able to post online and find compatriots, then maybe a newer DAC is for you.

I personally wouldn't buy a +10 year old DAC. I understand and agree that TOTL, $20-40k DACs are, really likely better than anything else down the cost bracket for years to come, BUT, I've been charmed by DSD512 in my T+A DAC 8 DSD and it was fun setting up my system to enable that, to where I'm not really demanding much more in source performance now and I'm getting my senses back and focusing on the speakers, headphones, and preamp that ties all the enablement and joy together.

So, I'd go for a used Denafrips Terminator, upscale to DSD 512, and then channel all my cash into high-end headphones and speakers.

/Edit: I would also consider the Wavelight and Hydra Vox set. I don't care to name drop about the designer, but I've owned and listened to other Audiobyte and Rockna equipment and really liked them, and they also have the DSD512 to charm me with~
Im not sure what point you are trying to make. I'm saying my dac of choice is the Rockna wavelight dac. Your own edit claims it to be a dac you'd consider and that Rockna makes good products which is why I chose Rockna over an 8 year old dac.
Thanks for the Rockna vote

May 25, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #57 of 132
Pretty sure you can find a used Rockna Wavedream single-ended if patient enough. A used Aqua La Scala MK2 Optologic should also be considered, and I saw it showed up more frequently on the internet than Rockna

Have you heard the Wavelight head to head against the wavedream. I personally haven't although a few people I know have. Their impressions are it hits way above its price point. I can't agree or disagree with their opinions since I haven't heard it. I just know I want to find out with my system in an audition if their claims are true.

Jun 11, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #60 of 132
Hey magicman,
I purchased an Amber 3 about 2 weeks ago and love it for my TOTL for my range as you have clearly stated.
If you have any specific questions regarding my observations, feel free to DM me. I'd be happy to help you with your decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back