Enclousure Tools and Methods
Nov 15, 2002 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

scottder

Headphoneus Supremus
A couple of questions from a noob on enlosures:

1) What tools do you all use for working enclouse (for example working on the enclosures that tangent recommend for the Cmoy)? I own a dremel tool as well as some standard drills.

2) Wha methods do you use for say attaching the external switches/pots and LEDs to such an enclosure?

3) Has anyone used a Serpac H-65-9V enclousre for a CMoy amp built on either the Hansen boards or 276-0150 proto board?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Nov 15, 2002 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

1) What tools do you all use for working enclouse (for example working on the enclosures that tangent recommend for the Cmoy)? I own a dremel tool as well as some standard drills.

That's about it, save for some flat and rounded files, an Xacto knife, and an Xacto saw. Quote:

2) Wha methods do you use for say attaching the external switches/pots and LEDs to such an enclosure?

Switches and pots I just use the mounting hardware that comes with them. For the LEDs I use LED holders that you can purchase almost anywhere. Quote:

3) Has anyone used a Serpac H-65-9V enclousre for a CMoy amp built on either the Hansen boards or 276-0150 proto board?

The Hansen board fits perfectly in the Serpac case.

Nov 15, 2002 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 14
JMT,

Thanks for the quick reply!

One more quick question, does the hansen "mount' in the enclosure or does ot just kind of lie inside loose?

Thanks again,

Scott

Nov 15, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 14
Just sits in there. There are cutouts in the board to work around the mounting holes. Once you have it all wired to the battery leads and the panel components, it is very secure.

Nov 15, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 14
Great, thanks again for your help.

Nov 15, 2002 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 14
scotter:

You my want to experiment with using some BlueTak or double foam tape to mount the Hansen board. I heard it may dampen board resonaces.

If you buy that, I have beach front property in Nevada...kidding!:d

Nov 15, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 14
Anyone happen to have a parts list for the Hansen board?

Nov 15, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 14
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Send me an e-mail, I'll respond and attach the spreadsheet.

Nov 16, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
A couple of questions from a noob on enlosures:

Thanks in advance,
Scott

1) The dremel is great if you've many attachments. All you need is a power drill to handle larger holes (10mm and above).
A handsaw can come in handy when cutting wood or thick metals. It's harder to control a dremel for such stuff and it usually takes forever to cut thick metals.

2) Use the washers and nuts provided with the switches and pots. Use grommets or LED holders to hold LED's.

3) No experience.

Nov 16, 2002 at 3:06 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks all for your help, well time to send that check off for some Hansen boards (think I will try and get together the parts for at least 2 headphone amps). BTW, JMT, why are you phasing out the Hansen boards?

Scott

Nov 18, 2002 at 3:39 PM Post #11 of 14
CEI has a minimum order for the boards. The demand for them has dropped off significantly (understandably) and I don't want to be stuck with 400+ boards. I have a small supply that I am keeping for my own use as there are still requests for CHA 47s and an occasional request for a Cmoy w/ Meier Crossfeed.

Nov 18, 2002 at 3:43 PM Post #12 of 14
I sent out a check today for 3 of the Hansens. Think you can part with them?

Nov 20, 2002 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

I used my knife to forcefully cut a hole into the casing for my first amp. I'm a poor college student and can't afford the luxury of a dremel

Damn dangerous young man !

You keep that up and your new handle might become "three fingers G (the MD part,well...you can figure that one out) '
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back