emu0404 opamp change: which?
Apr 1, 2006 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
i have an lt1364 and an ad8066

what would y'all suggest i use to change the opamp in the emu?

i don't dare to solder one, de-solder, and try the other, and i dont desire to deal with a browndog + dip8 socket type of thing, so i just want to choose one and stick with it. i'll also do the removing output caps and bridging output buffers. won't bother with replacing caps at the moment.

i've modded 0404's before, so i know what it's about, lifting traces
eek.gif
etc. question: would the "solder blob" trick be an effective way to remove the current opamp and opamp-buffers?? i haven't done that before, but standard "braid-ing" to soak up solder is a little nerve wracking.

both these opamps i imagine would work well. both have been used with the emu to good results. so it's a bit of a pickle which to use, but a nice one
smily_headphones1.gif

i believe i used 8620 in my previous 0404 and it was nice. indeed, modding emu's is absolutely brilliant. this card is really to tide me over till i can snag a zhaolu2, and then i can do some nice AB testing

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
My favorites are the LT1364 and AD8066, with the former being a bit more "fun" sounding and the latter a little more neutral and analytical, with a bit wider soundstage. I prefer the former for metal/trace (85% of my listening) and the latter for classical/soundtracks (15%).

from the man himself. guess i can't ask for more than that.

here's probably the best question: which will have less dc offset? since i'm removing output buffers and what not this is always an issue. i'm thinking 8066 might have less? i'm certainly leaning that way as i respect ID's thoughts and i'm a classical guy

Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
I played around a little with the LT1364 in E-MUs and other devices. I found the chip has more DC offset than desirable. I can't remember the specifics right now. I would be cautious using this opamp without caps after it.

and another.....ok seems like 8066 is looking good. thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back