Emu 0404 Usb
Dec 19, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 19

Vandal

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Posts
717
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for a nice DAC to drive my DT770 250 ohm headphones. Do you feel that the EMU 0404 USB will suffice?


Its the amp that'll be responsible for driving them not the DAC. You'll need an amp - for something cheap look for the LD series. As a DAC the 0404 is good, cause I am using the same card on an AT A900.

As you get more discerning however you'll want to switchover to a proper DAC and just use your soundcards digital out
 
Dec 19, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 19

kamal007

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 8, 2007
Posts
2,138
Likes
15
the emu 0404usb is a nice dac/amp. I really like them compared to the $1200 apogee minidac but that just the dac part. The headamp on the emu isnt the best but you could always hook up an external amp later on to it
 
Dec 19, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 19

jilgiljongiljing

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Posts
3,094
Likes
24
Quote:

the emu 0404usb is a nice dac/amp. I really like them compared to the $1200 apogee minidac but that just the dac part. The headamp on the emu isnt the best but you could always hook up an external amp later on to it


x2
 
Dec 19, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 19

subfocus

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 16, 2007
Posts
445
Likes
10
I'd recommend first trying out the inbuilt headphone amp on the USB0404 with the DT770 's and see how you find it. Its certainly no slouch (I used it for a few months to drive both HD650 + DT990)....
 
Dec 20, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 19

subfocus

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 16, 2007
Posts
445
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the amp on the 0404 USB doesn't have much power


Not enough power for some people...but for other users of the inbuilt headamp on the EMU , its proved to be more than adequate for their listening needs (see various examples of this within the 0404 USB threads ) . Thats why I'd suggest there is absolutely no harm at all in the OP trying it out first with the DT770 ....before making a decision on whether they think its worth spending extra money on a seperate amp.
 
Dec 20, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 19

FreeBlues

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Posts
293
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the emu 0404usb is a nice dac/amp. I really like them compared to the $1200 apogee minidac but that just the dac part. The headamp on the emu isnt the best but you could always hook up an external amp later on to it


Just to make sure I understand, you are saying the dac part of the emu is about as good as the dac part of the apogee? That sounds like a pretty good deal!
 
Dec 20, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #10 of 19

vulc4n

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Posts
886
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the amp on the 0404 USB doesn't have much power


I think saying it doesn't have much power might be a bit extreme. It might have less power than some amps, but those go to what I would consider rediculous levels.
 
Dec 20, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #11 of 19

vulc4n

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Posts
886
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for a nice DAC to drive my DT770 250 ohm headphones. Do you feel that the EMU 0404 USB will suffice?


I'm interested in the answer to the same question. Looks like someone else [ph0rk] has done this already and had success though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's headphone amp is reportedly quite decent for its package price, and sounds a-ok to my ears driving dt-770's


http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/e-...ml#post3404970
 
Dec 20, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 19

d-cee

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 14, 2006
Posts
2,753
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by subfocus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not enough power for some people...but for other users of the inbuilt headamp on the EMU , its proved to be more than adequate for their listening needs (see various examples of this within the 0404 USB threads ) . Thats why I'd suggest there is absolutely no harm at all in the OP trying it out first with the DT770 ....before making a decision on whether they think its worth spending extra money on a seperate amp.


Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think saying it doesn't have much power might be a bit extreme. It might have less power than some amps, but those go to what I would consider rediculous levels.


to be sure. i mean if it's going to be used as a DAC then why not use the headphone out too right?

I don't know how sensitive the DT770/250 is, but it just gets listenable levels with the K701 on max, same with DT880/250.
 
Dec 20, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #13 of 19

kamal007

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 8, 2007
Posts
2,138
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to make sure I understand, you are saying the dac part of the emu is about as good as the dac part of the apogee? That sounds like a pretty good deal!


yup..but the headphone amp part in the apogee is better. but you could do better with emu 0404 usb + external amp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top