Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 19, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #36,226 of 40,559
I don’t find the Socrates particularly stiff and certainly not tangly. It’s true they are not a supple as some- Eletech is working on an 8-wire version for the Fall that may be more so, and probably will have sonic effects in the same direction, ie elevation of mids, increased soundstage width and depth- but probably in the TOTL budget range (I’m guessing $1200). Given that the Effect Audio Signature cables are none of them more than $300 and most reviewers thought they paired well with warmer IEMs (especially Cadmus and Eros S do ) I’ve pretty well decided to go that direction and not sink that much cash into an even-better Socrates.
I’ll have to look at the Effect Audio ones. Interested to hear what you think.

Aug 19, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #36,228 of 40,559
Aug 20, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #36,229 of 40,559
I don’t find the Socrates particularly stiff and certainly not tangly. It’s true they are not a supple as some- Eletech is working on an 8-wire version for the Fall that may be more so, and probably will have sonic effects in the same direction, ie elevation of mids, increased soundstage width and depth- but probably in the TOTL budget range (I’m guessing $1200). Given that the Effect Audio Signature cables are none of them more than $300 and most reviewers thought they paired well with warmer IEMs (especially Cadmus and Eros S do ) I’ve pretty well decided to go that direction and not sink that much cash into an even-better Socrates.
The new signature cables are priced incredibly well for their sound and I expected a higher price tag.

That said the P8 Socrates is a competely different animal even compared to the regular Socrates. Well worth the potential price tag.
Yea.. this proto that’s about to be announced is a significant upgrade to the LX. That’s coming from someone who puts the LX #1.

Enjoy those LX because they deserve it!
I'm ready for the second Empire iem I'll actively dislike.

Aug 20, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #36,230 of 40,559
I'm ready for the second Empire iem I'll actively dislike.
😂

Feeling déjà vu… but I’m really looking forward to the day something will actually replace the LX. :)

Aug 20, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #36,232 of 40,559
😂

Feeling déjà vu… but I’m really looking forward to the day something will actually replace the LX. :)
A proper LX sucessor needs less upper mids to capture the hearts of its domestic market.

I just don't ses a need. LX is LX. Its also the only iem where I disliked it even more after each additional try.
update Odin :frowning2: ?
What kind of heresy is that

Aug 20, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #36,234 of 40,559
Supra.jpg

Swapped cable for this old blast from the past from EE. It obviously still cannot compete with the recent models of today's EE era but...hey, I only cope with what I got for the time.

It's been over 5 years.. :smile_phones:

To those curious of what the cable is, here are the details.

Uranus series IEM-2SGPC Super Fusion cable.

SPECIFICATIONS
2 wires: 5N gold plated silver + 5N palladium plated silver + 5N silver + silver plated OCC copper (type 6 Litz).
Insulator: Soft Flex insulator.
Soldering: Audio Note 6% Silver Solder
Connector chosen: Bispa 4.4mm silver-plated SHC connector + Eidolic 2-pin connectors (this can be customized while ordering)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #36,235 of 40,559
I can see why you’d think that. I was a hard charger for Odin and EVO, because I really enjoy the EE house sound. Those releases really hit above the mark for me. This prototype was in another atmosphere, but like I said it was a prototype. Dean has a bunch that never see the light of day. This one, was by a wide margin, better than anything they have released.

If they don’t release it, I’ll beg them to sell me a one off prototype.
@CL14715
Hi,
Is the new LX upgrade the prototype you waxed lyrical about when you visited them earlier in the year?
If not, can you shed any more about that as it peaked my interest some what :L3000:

Cheers.

Aug 20, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #36,236 of 40,559
Since when I changed the stock FinalE tips with the Spinfit CP145 the EVO are growing on me in a really addictive way.
With FinalE I found the EVO to be very good for EDM, but couldn't use them with basically anything else... too much basses (and somewhat not so much textured/defined), too recessed mids, waaaaaaay too much elevated upper mids, to my taste (IMHO, YMMV, etc...) unlistenable with rock/pop/etc...
With Spinfit CP145 (and to a slightly lesser extent, with CP100) the sound sig is much more appealing to me (again: IMHO, YMMV, etc...), basses are there but never too much, more snappier and textured, mids are there, thicker and well defined, but the best change is in the upper mids, much much much more linear, never fatiguing, just still very slightly too elevated for my tastes but still very enjoyable.
With the CP145 my listening time is more and more with EVO, would say it's now my go-to daily IEM, with basically all genres (apart jazz and classical music). I was thinking of selling them, but now I decided EVO will be resident in my collection together with the MEST2. Great IEM!!

PS the strangest thing here is that I actually don't like the CP100/CP145 with any of my other IEMs for the very opposte reasons, too much basses, too recessed mids :rolling_eyes:

20220820_105939.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #36,237 of 40,559
I can see why you’d think that. I was a hard charger for Odin and EVO, because I really enjoy the EE house sound. Those releases really hit above the mark for me. This prototype was in another atmosphere, but like I said it was a prototype. Dean has a bunch that never see the light of day. This one, was by a wide margin, better than anything they have released.

If they don’t release it, I’ll beg them to sell me a one off prototype.
Can you at least describe the sound and give some brief impressions?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #36,238 of 40,559
I'm not sure on Drum & Bass Artist either but I can recommend Clozee She is incredible and it sounds amazing on the LX. Hundreds of pages back in this thread someone recommended Rufus Du Sol Live from Joshua Tree - Talk about an outstanding sounding album, all I can say is "it slaps". The video is great but the Lossless on Apple Music or probably any other streaming service sounds 100% better.

Link for for the Lazy:

Edit: I also want to recommend this performance by Warpaint. It sounds so good.

Thanks. Some good recs there.

Aug 20, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #36,239 of 40,559
Since when I changed the stock FinalE tips with the Spinfit CP145 the EVO are growing on me in a really addictive way.
With FinalE I found the EVO to be very good for EDM, but couldn't use them with basically anything else... too much basses (and somewhat not so much textured/defined), too recessed mids, waaaaaaay too much elevated upper mids, to my taste (IMHO, YMMV, etc...) unlistenable with rock/pop/etc...
With Spinfit CP145 (and to a slightly lesser extent, with CP100) the sound sig is much more appealing to me (again: IMHO, YMMV, etc...), basses are there but never too much, more snappier and textured, mids are there, thicker and well defined, but the best change is in the upper mids, much much much more linear, never fatiguing, just still very slightly too elevated for my tastes but still very enjoyable.
With the CP145 my listening time is more and more with EVO, would say it's now my go-to daily IEM, with basically all genres (apart jazz and classical music). I was thinking of selling them, but now I decided EVO will be resident in my collection together with the MEST2. Great IEM!!

PS the strangest thing here is that I actually don't like the CP100/CP145 with any of my other IEMs for the very opposte reasons, too much basses, too recessed mids :rolling_eyes:

20220820_105939.jpg
My sentiments are the same, EVO responds very well to tip and cable rolling. With the plussound copper+ it steers the EVO more toward the LX type sig and it’s very enjoyable. I rotate my tips between the regular spiral dots, spinfit W1 and Azla crystals… all offer something different

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #36,240 of 40,559
I thought the EVO was supposed to be the LX upgrade.
Yea.. this proto that’s about to be announced is a significant upgrade to the LX. That’s coming from someone who puts the LX #1.

Enjoy those LX because they deserve it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back