Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 27, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #36,076 of 40,345
Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #36,077 of 40,345
Part of the answer to this question also surrounds budget and what you can afford to spend. Many of us (I am as guilty as all get out) started in this hobby making very modest investments but in chasing that bit of extra sonic dopamine, the price for marginal improvements increases much more quickly with each small improvement- and vendors realize we are willing to pay those extra dollars. Sooner or later you will reach the point where you have to stop eg a new Trailli is over $6000, can you go there? or is there a ceiling and what is it?- realizing that as you continue in the hobby and have new experiences you will be tempted to break through that ceiling. I say that as a U12T and Lx owner (among others I have bought in the last 12 months) and I find between the two of them audio heaven- but the itch for yet more does not go away and somehow finding that balance -seems- important. Or at least my core relationships that will be destroyed if I burn through our retirement funds buying every item my soul craves- are important. You do you- I am not preaching, just (as we do here) sharing my experience.
I agree with you on all of those points 👍 . I don't plan on buying anything I don't actively use. The 6 categories is just hyperbole. I am stretching my imagination if I were to buy the LX. When I entered this hobby, I have spent a considerable amount of time figuring out my needs are and where the "end" is. I get 2-3 hours of IEM use per day. I am happy with 2, 3 is my maximum (this year). The idea is to treat myself to summit fi IEMs as they come. For me, buying something I am moderately happy with would be a waste of money because I would sell it and take a loss. I would rather wait and commit to something I have absolutely no regrets with. I posted this in the watercooler. This is a breakdown of where my utilization is:

Screenshot_20220726-223320_Gallery.jpg

Right now: the Oriolus Traillii (that I bought used) & XE6 (that I received a modest discount for reviewing) cover everything that I listen to. The third is a bonus.

As a millenial (32), there is no urgency to get everything now. I'd rather invest the rest in a cashflow positive RE, bonds (short term), DCA into index funds (long term). When I am close to retirement, my nestegg is healthy, parents and childrens are taken care of then I'll go further.

IEMs have advanced significantly recently (i.e. if you look at top lists from even 2015 how many make the list now?) In 40 years, who knows where the bar is for individual driver parts.

Jul 27, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #36,078 of 40,345
Based on what I read, it could be in contention for a 5th or 6th piece (If I make that far).

1. Slightly coloured reference - Traillii
2. Dark bassy set - XE6
3. Neutral - Bright set - [ ? ]
4. Vocal focused set [ ? ] - Something powerful like the Red Halo, Phonix that can pull me away from the Traillii specifically for asian ballads
5. Bass set #2. A mild V shape that is an in between the XE6 & Traillii for bass quantity.

espresso-classy.gif

Really cant imagine needing to go beyond that point but then again I just splurged on a cable I did not need 😂
For #5 I also really think you should try EXT. There’s something that’s instantly fun and engaging about this IEM but it does more relaxed listening really well at the same time.

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #36,079 of 40,345
I agree with you on all of those points 👍 . I don't plan on buying anything I don't actively use. The 6 categories is just hyperbole. I am stretching my imagination if I were to buy the LX. When I entered this hobby, I have spent a considerable amount of time figuring out my needs are and where the "end" is. I get 2-3 hours of IEM use per day. I am happy with 2, 3 is my maximum (this year). The idea is to treat myself to summit fi IEMs as they come. For me, buying something I am moderately happy with would be a waste of money because I would sell it and take a loss. I would rather wait and commit to something I have absolutely no regrets with. I posted this in the watercooler. This is a breakdown of where my utilization is:

Right now: the Oriolus Traillii (that I bought used) & XE6 (that I received a modest discount for reviewing) cover everything that I listen to. The third is a bonus.

As a millenial (32), there is no urgency to get everything now. I'd rather invest the rest in a cashflow positive RE, bonds (short term), DCA into index funds (long term). When I am close to retirement, my nestegg is healthy, parents and childrens are taken care of then I'll go further.

IEMs have advanced significantly recently (i.e. if you look at top lists from even 2015 how many make the list now?) In 40 years, who knows where the bar is for individual driver parts.
Thanks - and to all who commented. It’s interchanges like this that makes the Forum feel like a group of mates having a beer and sharing the love for the hobby and how it and all of life fits together. Never been to. CanJam - maybe NYC later this year…let’s have that beer…maybe we can get Jack to come along.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #36,080 of 40,345
Thanks - and to all who commented. It’s interchanges like this that makes the Forum feel like a group of mates having a beer and sharing the love for the hobby and how it and all of life fits together. Never been to. CanJam - maybe NYC later this year…let’s have that beer…maybe we can get Jack to come along.
Interacted with Jack briefly at CanJam Chicago, instantly likable guy!

Jul 27, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #36,082 of 40,345
Part of the answer to this question also surrounds budget and what you can afford to spend. Many of us (I am as guilty as all get out) started in this hobby making very modest investments but in chasing that bit of extra sonic dopamine, the price for marginal improvements increases much more quickly with each small improvement- and vendors realize we are willing to pay those extra dollars. Sooner or later you will reach the point where you have to stop eg a new Trailli is over $6000, can you go there? or is there a ceiling and what is it?- realizing that as you continue in the hobby and have new experiences you will be tempted to break through that ceiling. I say that as a U12T and Lx owner (among others I have bought in the last 12 months) and I find between the two of them audio heaven- but the itch for yet more does not go away and somehow finding that balance -seems- important. Or at least my core relationships that will be destroyed if I burn through our retirement funds buying every item my soul craves- are important. You do you- I am not preaching, just (as we do here) sharing my experience.
I would add that the IEM arena, to me, seems to push you to spend more constantly. In 2-channel you can get a great system that will still be equally as great in 10 years. I feel the same about HP’s, though slightly less confident. For IEM’s, no way. I feel that in 10 years our current IEMs will be no match for the latest and greatest at that time. IEMs are just not as mature a technology yet. Some discipline in spending becomes even more important.

Jul 27, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #36,084 of 40,345
Hello All, what SpinFits do you use on your Empire Ears?
The stock silicone ones are in fact CP145s (per EE themselves via a PM) though I bought replacement ones of the same size and the stock ones fit better. In the end I settled on Azla Xelastics, but admit they’re not for everyone.

Jul 27, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #36,085 of 40,345
The stock silicone ones are in fact CP145s (per EE themselves via a PM) though I bought replacement ones of the same size and the stock ones fit better. In the end I settled on Azla Xelastics, but admit they’re not for everyone.
I am using CP100 and like them very much.

Jul 27, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #36,086 of 40,345
For #5 I also really think you should try EXT. There’s something that’s instantly fun and engaging about this IEM but it does more relaxed listening really well at the same time.
Tried EXT with the tour that Rockwell75 set up. I got about 5 hours of listening so take what I say with a grain of salt. It competes with other S tier IEMs but I found it redundant after A/B testing it with the Traillii.

Thinking of hitting up Socal Canjam. Cracking open a beer & geeking out audio about like a good time.

I would add that the IEM arena, to me, seems to push you to spend more constantly. In 2-channel you can get a great system that will still be equally as great in 10 years. I feel the same about HP’s, though slightly less confident. For IEM’s, no way. I feel that in 10 years our current IEMs will be no match for the latest and greatest at that time. IEMs are just not as mature a technology yet. Some discipline in spending becomes even more important.
2 Channel (& a theatre system) in my forever home is my end game. Curious to see how good IEMs & portable DAPs get in the next decade.

Jul 27, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #36,087 of 40,345
Tried EXT with the tour that Rockwell75 set up. I got about 5 hours of listening so take what I say with a grain of salt. It competes with other S tier IEMs but I found it redundant after A/B testing it with the Traillii.

Whoa. Really? EXT and Traillii are very different in driver configuration and tuning.

Jul 27, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #36,089 of 40,345
After *5* hours of testing: I preferred how the Traillii shell fit my ears, how much cleaner it played back vocal ballad music. As an EXT owner YMMV.

No doubt. Fit is different. Maybe I misread your post. Do you think that Traillii and EXT sound the same? If you do, it might be worth taking another listen. Now, if the fit doesn't work for you then that's a bad idea.

Jul 27, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #36,090 of 40,345
No doubt. Fit is different. Maybe I misread your post. Do you think that Traillii and EXT sound the same? If you do, it might be worth taking another listen. Now, if the fit doesn't work for you then that's a bad idea.
One of the painful fits unfortunately like the Z1R. Maybe I'll give it another go at a Canjam to have a more credible opinion.

If I recall, it had good extention in the bass. Higher bass quantity (V shape) than the Traillii (W shape) with less aggression than the XE6. The similarity that I heard was that both the T & EXT are going for a musical presentation and I have that covered with the T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back