Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 25, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #36,062 of 40,559
Based on what I read, it could be in contention for a 5th or 6th piece (If I make that far).

1. Slightly coloured reference - Traillii
2. Dark bassy set - XE6
3. Neutral - Bright set - [ ? ]
4. Vocal focused set [ ? ] - Something powerful like the Red Halo, Phonix that can pull me away from the Traillii specifically for asian ballads
5. Bass set #2. A mild V shape that is an in between the XE6 & Traillii for bass quantity.

espresso-classy.gif

Really cant imagine needing to go beyond that point but then again I just splurged on a cable I did not need 😂

3. VE Elysium
4. Red Halo
5. Z1R

Jul 25, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #36,063 of 40,559
Based on what I read, it could be in contention for a 5th or 6th piece (If I make that far).

2. Dark bassy set - XE6
4. Vocal focused set [ ? ] - Something powerful like the Red Halo, Phonix that can pull me away from the Traillii specifically for asian ballads
5. Bass set #2. A mild V shape that is an in between the XE6 & Traillii for bass quantity.

espresso-classy.gif

Really cant imagine needing to go beyond that point but then again I just splurged on a cable I did not need 😂
If you want a bass reference set, no one does it better than EE. LX is tried and true with surprising technicalities elsewhere.

Jul 25, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #36,064 of 40,559

2. Dark bassy set - XE6

For number 3, I’d suggest the EX1000 if you really want something neutral bright signature. But that will depend on what you consider bright. A lot of the brighter IEMs nowadays are either U, V, or W. for a U shape, I’d suggest the KSE1500/1200 if you don’t mind the energizer. V definitely the A8000 which could fit in the role of number 5 as well. And for a more W sound, I’d go for the Supermoon.

For number 4, I’ve still have yet to compare the two side by side but in my experience these two provided me with the best vocal experience in an IEM so far. Empire Ears’ own Wraith and the DUNU Luna.

Number 5, as I mentioned the A8000 could fill in this role as well but the EXT is a better fit in this section.

If you have the chance to try any of those IEMs, you should definitely give them a thorough listen.

Jul 25, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #36,065 of 40,559

2. Dark bassy set - XE6

espresso-classy.gif

asian ballads? Definitely try the Jewel, it definitely blew my asian mind esp with the music i listen to

Jul 26, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #36,067 of 40,559

2. Dark bassy set - XE6

Part of the answer to this question also surrounds budget and what you can afford to spend. Many of us (I am as guilty as all get out) started in this hobby making very modest investments but in chasing that bit of extra sonic dopamine, the price for marginal improvements increases much more quickly with each small improvement- and vendors realize we are willing to pay those extra dollars. Sooner or later you will reach the point where you have to stop eg a new Trailli is over $6000, can you go there? or is there a ceiling and what is it?- realizing that as you continue in the hobby and have new experiences you will be tempted to break through that ceiling. I say that as a U12T and Lx owner (among others I have bought in the last 12 months) and I find between the two of them audio heaven- but the itch for yet more does not go away and somehow finding that balance -seems- important. Or at least my core relationships that will be destroyed if I burn through our retirement funds buying every item my soul craves- are important. You do you- I am not preaching, just (as we do here) sharing my experience.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #36,069 of 40,559

2. Dark bassy set - XE6

espresso-classy.gif

3rd QDC Anole V14

Jul 26, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #36,070 of 40,559
Part of the answer to this question also surrounds budget and what you can afford to spend. Many of us (I am as guilty as all get out) started in this hobby making very modest investments but in chasing that bit of extra sonic dopamine, the price for marginal improvements increases much more quickly with each small improvement- and vendors realize we are willing to pay those extra dollars. Sooner or later you will reach the point where you have to stop eg a new Trailli is over $6000, can you go there? or is there a ceiling and what is it?- realizing that as you continue in the hobby and have new experiences you will be tempted to break through that ceiling. I say that as a U12T and Lx owner (among others I have bought in the last 12 months) and I find between the two of them audio heaven- but the itch for yet more does not go away and somehow finding that balance -seems- important. Or at least my core relationships that will be destroyed if I burn through our retirement funds buying every item my soul craves- are important. You do you- I am not preaching, just (as we do here) sharing my experience.
Brilliant post. A succinct snapshot of what a lot of us go through on our journey to musical perfection.

Jul 26, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #36,071 of 40,559
the key is to not listen and read up on the 'newer' stuff and just enjoy what you already have

Jul 26, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #36,072 of 40,559
I get by via canjam, spend enough money flying over to buy a new iem but I get to travel and try so many things. Usually scratches the itch and also narrows down exactly what I want, rather than spending just to try something. Or sometimes like this year, I find that there's nothing I actually want. And sometimes you get lucky and win a free pair of customs which has certainly been a blessing. Best of all though I get to see my buddies like Jack, who always keeps me on my toes for new releases. There's no escaping either way I guess.

Jul 27, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #36,073 of 40,559
IMG_0827(1).JPG

Jul 27, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #36,074 of 40,559
Jul 27, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #36,075 of 40,559
Yes, very well stated. The other piece for me is that constantly listening with a critical ear as to what can be improved upon can get in the way of musical enjoyment and thus be paradoxically self-defeating, especially when you get to the level of excellent quality gear many of us have who participate on head-fi.. I continue to quest but do try to enjoy what I have and keep the pace of new purchases reasonable, ideally to compliment / add a different flavor to my listening options. That's what led me to the EE ESR MKII even though I realize is not EE's TOTL, but it is more refence sounding than my other IEM's and wanted to experience something different / complimentary to my other gear.

I recognize that everyone chooses their own path on this journey to great music / great sound. Just my 2c.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back