Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 17, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #36,018 of 40,528
Per my definition of reference, something loses that descriptor when its flavor or color is detectable across multiple tracks. The ideal reference IEM should be colorless, and that means very few - if any - traits should carry over from one track to the next. The example I often use is low-end between an EDM and a jazz mix. The former usually has a lot more low-end than the latter, and a reference IEM should reflect that. So, if you play tracks from those genres back-to-back on, say, IEM A, and you get similar amounts of lows, then IEM A clearly isn't reference. The same goes for imaging, dynamics, etc.

A great example from EE's very own stable would be the ODIN. I said on my review that it would reflect when tracks were compressed. They'd sound small, dull and like a scrunched-up ball in the middle of the stage, while more dynamic tracks sounded more open and expansive. That made its dynamics reference-class to me. However, it's also widely-established to have an upper-mid elevation. Some like it, others don't, but the coloration is present either way. So, I can't call the ODIN a fully-reference IEM. I think the answer to your question lies in whether or not the LX's thunderous bass adheres to the changes inherently present between mixes of different kinds. Can it discern when the track isn't as bass-heavy? Is it a trait that follows it from song to song? Etc.

I think it's also important to remember that everyone has their own personal reference as well; a vague idea of where something is considered well-balanced, despite what the track test I mentioned above might say. When I'm mixing personally, I prefer a bit more bass, because the fatigue I'll inevitably experience after hours of working tends to tilt my ears a bit brighter. So, I need that oomph to even it out, which makes my reference a bit warmer than others, perhaps. But, again, that's independent of the objective scale of reference-ness, which I've outlined above.
This is dead on for my ears. They are fun. When I go from a small AK dap to my Brinkmann Nyquist DAC\amp is when I hear it really scale and max out. That’s a 20k DAC and no fair, but I do listen this way when I need to keep the house quiet. It’s a killer for the price. Close enough to neutral for me, but fun as everything is boosted a bit. Much easier to enjoy when playing at lower volume level too. Jmho

Jul 17, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #36,019 of 40,528
This is dead on for my ears. They are fun. When I go from a small AK dap to my Brinkmann Nyquist DAC\amp is when I hear it really scale and max out. That’s a 20k DAC and no fair, but I do listen this way when I need to keep the house quiet. It’s a killer for the price. Close enough to neutral for me, but fun as everything is boosted a bit. Much easier to enjoy when playing at lower volume level too. Jmho
That was one of the things really great about Odin, low level listening with little to no fidelity loss.

Jul 17, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #36,020 of 40,528
ESR MKII is good for vocal but not enough bassy for rock.
I hear that, but listen to a lot of classical, some acoustic jazz and female vocals and am enjoying the set quite a lot. Tried SpinFit CP100's last night and these tips provide best synergy yet with ESR MKII.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #36,021 of 40,528
anyone with jewel and odin? Wondering if anyone thinks they are more complimentary or more of a upgrade/sidegrade

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #36,022 of 40,528
anyone with jewel and odin? Wondering if anyone thinks they are more complimentary or more of a upgrade/sidegrade
Short version -- Jewel for vocals and Odin for everything else. I don't think they're complimentary or upgrade/sidegrade. It's more about taste and the music you listen to.

I was using the Odin to compare the (soon to be launched, hope I can say it here) Eletech Ode to Laura (O2L) with the Orpheus, both top-rated cables that IMO match well with the Odin. The Orpheus is more resolving, and as always, imposes its signature onto everything it's plugged into (good or bad thing, you decide); the O2L is much cleaner, more balanced and I must say, one of most ergonomically pleasant cable I've experienced at this range. What I meant is, at this SQ level, the cables are usually heavier, heftier, more wieldy to handle, or else, the lightweighted-ness and pliancy, I wouldn't expect such good SQ. Though it is a little bright on the Odin, I am going to cut it some slack as the demo was literally brand new, no burn in whatsoever, so I expect even better performance from it. And if the resolution gets bumped up, I'd say it is a real winner at its price point!

Been a while since I have really listened to the Odin, but for the comparative listening over the weekend, I must say that I have forgotten how nice the Odin sounds. With so many newer, hotter IEMS going the rounds of raves, it's still one of the top in my books for most any music you care to play on any source any time any day anywhere.

Jul 18, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #36,023 of 40,528
Hi there, I hope you all had a nice weekend. I enjoyed mine rediscovering the Legend Evo and just when going to bed, I noticed a crack in the right to and bottom of the shell where the WeaponX is located. Nooooo!!!

Could this crack expand over time? Worried now.

IMG_7870.jpg

Jul 18, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #36,024 of 40,528
Hi there, I hope you all had a nice weekend. I enjoyed mine rediscovering the Legend Evo and just when going to bed, I noticed a crack in the right to and bottom of the shell where the WeaponX is located. Nooooo!!!

IMG_7870.jpg
You'd better get it repaired

Jul 18, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #36,025 of 40,528

IMG_7870.jpg
Message Jack. He’s the only one that can diagnose and resolve this.

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #36,027 of 40,528
Short version -- Jewel for vocals and Odin for everything else. I don't think they're complimentary or upgrade/sidegrade. It's more about taste and the music you listen to.

I was using the Odin to compare the (soon to be launched, hope I can say it here) Eletech Ode to Laura (O2L) with the Orpheus, both top-rated cables that IMO match well with the Odin. The Orpheus is more resolving, and as always, imposes its signature onto everything it's plugged into (good or bad thing, you decide); the O2L is much cleaner, more balanced and I must say, one of most ergonomically pleasant cable I've experienced at this range. What I meant is, at this SQ level, the cables are usually heavier, heftier, more wieldy to handle, or else, the lightweighted-ness and pliancy, I wouldn't expect such good SQ. Though it is a little bright on the Odin, I am going to cut it some slack as the demo was literally brand new, no burn in whatsoever, so I expect even better performance from it. And if the resolution gets bumped up, I'd say it is a real winner at its price point!

Been a while since I have really listened to the Odin, but for the comparative listening over the weekend, I must say that I have forgotten how nice the Odin sounds. With so many newer, hotter IEMS going the rounds of raves, it's still one of the top in my books for most any music you care to play on any source any time any day anywhere.
Could you compare the Odin to the subtonic storm?

Quite curious to hear the comparison :)

Jul 18, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #36,028 of 40,528
IMG_20220718_154957.jpg

The Effect Audio Ares S pairs really well with every Empire Hybird IEMs ranging from Legend X, Evo to Odin. This Ares S is really a significant step and challenge for the throne of the Apex of Coper cables at such a low cost. Those who got Hybrid Weapon X drivers, you must try the Ares S.

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #36,029 of 40,528
Sent the Odin's back because of a broken shell...realized how much I missed them..and begged Jack to do a reshell for me into custom form.

Oops.

Jul 19, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #36,030 of 40,528
And begged Jack to do a reshell for me into custom form.

Oops.

You have to show us your design or I will call my uncle that works at EE and your dream will be forfeit :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back