Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 9, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #35,956 of 40,345
Enjoy your gear. Newer/pricier doesn't always mean better. I really like my custom Aurums even though the U12ts are in a different price range.

Jul 9, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #35,957 of 40,345
Enjoy your gear. Newer/pricier doesn't always mean better.
100% agree!
I would add: newer is sometimes technical superior, but where did the musicality go?!
(This is a general observation I made over the last few years... I am not referring to EE products)

Jul 9, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #35,958 of 40,345
I know what would excite me. An Odin mkii with bone conduction and slight tuning adjustments with slightly more bass, slightly less upper mids and improved overall treble response
That's too big of a difference to the character to call it a MKII. At that point its just the LX with a BCD, which I much rather they do than touch the Odin.
for me, the EE house sound doesn’t work - upper mids and lower treble don’t fit my preferences. Pretty much every EE IEM I’ve heard suffers from this (again, “suffers” is relative to my preferences). My hope is that they can release something with Evo bass quality and quantity, and smoother upper mids/lower treble.
The EE house sound is fairly interesting in that regard. For a US based manufacturer, it seems almost anathema for the preferences of their base market. LX and Phantom are probably what I would consider the most western sounding iems in their line up.

Jul 9, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #35,959 of 40,345
That's too big of a difference to the character to call it a MKII. At that point its just the LX with a BCD, which I much rather they do than touch the Odin.

The EE house sound is fairly interesting in that regard. For a US based manufacturer, it seems almost anathema for the preferences of their base market. LX and Phantom are probably what I would consider the most western sounding iems in their line up.
Phantom is no longer in production.

Jul 9, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #35,960 of 40,345
While I am probably some type of throw-back retro geezer, to me Hiby R8 (turbo)->Eletech Socrates-> EE Universal LX (Azla Xelastic tips) = sonic bliss. If a new Odin (or something) can top it for me it would need to be in that same direction in terms of FR and technicalities. I passed on the Evo because my ear structure makes it hard for me to achieve proper contact with the BCD driver. Another IEM with a BCD will not pull me in- but YMMV.

Jul 10, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #35,961 of 40,345
100% agree!
I would add: newer is sometimes technical superior, but where did the musicality go?!
(This is a general observation I made over the last few years... I am not referring to EE products)
I also agree with this. These prototypes were a different frontier as far as EE is concerned. God knows what was packed inside them but they were musical.

It was pretty much like a traillii with EVO bass. Interestingly enough, nothing width or depth wise was lost in the mid range despite the bass. Not to mention, all my b*tching about treble must’ve landed cause this was the best treble I’ve heard in any of their monitors… maybe in any IEM period. Hard to say without anything to A/B treble wise.

Jul 10, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #35,962 of 40,345
I also agree with this. These prototypes were a different frontier as far as EE is concerned. God knows what was packed inside them but they were musical.

It was pretty much like a traillii with EVO bass. Interestingly enough, nothing width or depth wise was lost in the mid range despite the bass. Not to mention, all my b*tching about treble must’ve landed cause this was the best treble I’ve heard in any of their monitors… maybe in any IEM period. Hard to say without anything to A/B treble wise.
CL the hype master! I just sold off all my portable stuff but if EE pulls off a bird-caliber IEM with EVO bass, I am absolutely jumping back in. Better not be blueballing us man

Jul 10, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #35,963 of 40,345
CL the hype master! I just sold off all my portable stuff but if EE pulls off a bird-caliber IEM with EVO bass, I am absolutely jumping back in. Better not be blueballing us man
Like I said it was a prototype so I have no idea about anything beyond that. If begging Jack and Dean works, you have my word. It’s the best thing EE has ever created.

Jul 11, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #35,964 of 40,345
1657544491798.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing what’s in the pipeline. As @bigbeans said, I hope it’s available as a CIEM whatever it is. :)

Jul 11, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #35,965 of 40,345

Like I said it was a prototype so I have no idea about anything beyond that. If begging Jack and Dean works, you have my word. It’s the best thing EE has ever created.

1657544491798.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing what’s in the pipeline. As @bigbeans said, I hope it’s available as a CIEM whatever it is. :)

These are the best kind of teases! If they pull this off their status with truly be *ahem* legendary!

Jul 11, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #35,966 of 40,345
I recognized the plot. Staying tuned.

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #35,968 of 40,345
Dean is just a master. I was blessed to spend a day with him years ago and was blown away by what he can create. Just pushes boundaries like few others can. Like the sound or not, but he can make great IEM’s that most appreciate. That’s rare and why they always have different signatures

Jul 12, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #35,969 of 40,345
Dean is just a master. I was blessed to spend a day with him years ago and was blown away by what he can create. Just pushes boundaries like few others can. Like the sound or not, but he can make great IEM’s that most appreciate. That’s rare and why they always have different signatures
Precisely this.

Reminds me of one of the times I spent hours there… I was thinking I need to leave I’ve probably overstayed my welcome, they have work to do. I’m walking out and Dean asks, “you want to hear Bravado MKII with bone conduction?” I laughed and asked, “why do you have that?” and he just smiled. It was then that I realized how many IEM’s he builds just for fun. He really loves his craft and puts everything he has into it.

Jul 12, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #35,970 of 40,345
Enjoy your gear. Newer/pricier doesn't always mean better. I really like my custom Aurums even though the U12ts are in a different price range.

Great words to live by here! I still go back to my Spartan IVs, which were my very first set of customs.

Precisely this.

Reminds me of one of the times I spent hours there… I was thinking I need to leave I’ve probably overstayed my welcome, they have work to do. I’m walking out and Dean asks, “you want to hear Bravado MKII with bone conduction?” I laughed and asked, “why do you have that?” and he just smiled. It was then that I realized how many IEM’s he builds just for fun. He really loves his craft and puts everything he has into it.

This makes me want to fly out to EE next time I make a purchase, and make a trip out of it for the experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back