Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 8, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #35,641 of 40,485
Just for fairnesses sake, I did try a Phantom when it came out, but sold it within a month or so - and learned my lesson.
Zeus is like a still, clear pool. Cool clarity and transparency like none other.

May 8, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #35,642 of 40,485
A few weeks back I realized I had several new IEMs that had been acquired anywhere from 1 month to 6 months ago which each had maybe 5 hours of total time on them. That's when I decided it's time to take a step back. I had lost sight of the reason I came into this hobby, to enjoy the music. I never wanted to become a collector and that's exactly what I had become.
Recently after acquiring the Lx (great open box deal from Andrew at Musicteck) at first I thought I’d found my ‘end game’ but longed to see it deliver faster, more textured bass and more extended, detailed treble. I started down the cable route but then realized -“if there is something about the LX that is not doing it for me buying a ‘bright cable’ probably isn’t going to correct that”. In tbe end I used the funds I would have spent on a high end cable and bought a U12T (also via a great deal). The two nicely complement each other, but I do feel now that I should stop. I have spent a lot in the last year.

For sure I could have invested the money I’ve spent on Audio more profitably and probably more wisely, but here’s the thing- I’ve come out of the the pandemic a bit traumatized (I’m a physician) and this hobby really pulled me back into much better place mentally and emotionally . I have a saying “only beauty helps”. I find so much enjoyment in all aspects of the hobby— the gear reviews, the interactions on the Forum. I am thankful for what each of you brings. For the most part I have found everyone here open and generous. And I have enjoyed music more than ever in my life - experiencing many different genres and artists I never knew before.

Is it possible to step back from chasing the ‘perfect sound via the perfect gear’ and just enjoy the music with what I have already? Does it have to turn into a true addiction that bankrupts me and ruins the rest of my life? I want to think not. Ask me how I’m doing with that in 6 months…

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #35,643 of 40,485
All this talk about zeus makes me want to buy another one (sold my pair a while back). Been on the hunt for something that could match its clarity and overall resolution but this time in custom form :frowning2:

May 9, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #35,644 of 40,485
I bought my 1960 as the pandemic took hold, as I was walking daily in the a.m. darkness before starting my Distance Learning classrooms (can't do that now that we are back to teaching in person). I just wanted a slight change of sound sig. Sort of my gift to myself. The SP2000T I bought a few months ago was just a nice way to keep the best of my SP1K (albeit slightly warmer) and get the Hybrid tube thing. Great choice, the Zeus now has many many sound sigs without ever losing what makes it special.

I agree with jlemaster, above. This hobby brings joy, especially in the darkness of the past few years. The trick is to keep it under control. I had my SP1K for about 4 years (still going strong, I have it hooked to an amp for stereo playback through my old KEF's) and I think my Zeus is about to hit 5 years. And I have a Massdrop Zeus as a backup. I listen to my music and I smile. It makes me happy.

My wife and kids and grandkids make me happy and make me smile. My students make me happy and make me smile as well. But the music is just for me.

Speaking of which, I just bought a Sony Bravia XR A80CJ 4K OLED (Costco version) along with a new Sony receiver and a 4K BD player (and add-on Sony Atmos speakers) for my home and THEY are making me smile. Insane video and audio quality. I love the home theater experience (replaced a Panasonic Elite, a Samsung LCD and an Oppo 203 that started acting up) and my wife loves watching nature shows on the OLED. My 18-year-old enjoys watching whatever the hell he watches on his iPhone 13, of course. :)

May 9, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #35,645 of 40,485
Zeus is like a still, clear pool. Cool clarity and transparency like none other.

you should try Hidition NT6 , i paid just 700 euros back in 2016 and still listen to them more than any other ciem i have owned (and i also own Zeus XR)

insane bang for buck and i feel like it is even more clear/transparent than Zeus XR (imho)

May 9, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #35,646 of 40,485
Hi,
Quick question for you all. I have just picked up a second-hand pair of Evo launch edition and everything looks and sounds great. BUT I keep reading about a problem with the original Genesis cable, nothing specific just the odd rumbling about a quality issue??
Also in the for sale forum an Evo with "The newer PW Audio Genesis cable" Anything I need to look out for?
Thank you :beerchug:

May 9, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #35,647 of 40,485
Hi,
Quick question for you all. I have just picked up a second-hand pair of Evo launch edition and everything looks and sounds great. BUT I keep reading about a problem with the original Genesis cable, nothing specific just the odd rumbling about a quality issue??
Also in the for sale forum an Evo with "The newer PW Audio Genesis cable" Anything I need to look out for?
Have you received yours yet? Or did you just purchase a set and are awaiting them?

May 9, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #35,649 of 40,485
Hi, I have them now. Everything looks and sounds ok. Just wondering what the cable issue was
Thanks.

The cable "issue", was Empire Ears squeezing out the last 1% of the EVO. They didn't receive a cable matching the quality that the demo cables exhibited. This changed the intended sound signature a small amount so being obsessed with perfection, they delayed the launch to ensure the intended performance was delivered to the consumer. It was not really an issue, just a hiccup.

May 9, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #35,650 of 40,485
Hi,
My suggestion - ping Empire Ears and give them the SN of your Evo. I would imagine they can tell you which batch of cable you received, and I'm sure if you wanted the 2nd batch, they would work with you to figure something out.

May 9, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #35,651 of 40,485
The cable "issue", was Empire Ears squeezing out the last 1% of the EVO. They didn't receive a cable matching the quality that the demo cables exhibited. This changed the intended sound signature a small amount so being obsessed with perfection, they delayed the launch to ensure the intended performance was delivered to the consumer. It was not really an issue, just a hiccup.
Hi,
Thanks for taking time to explain that. Thought it was not much of an issue as there was not much chat about it in reviews / forum posts. Just had seen a couple of reference to it.
Cheers 🍻

May 9, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #35,652 of 40,485
Hi,
Thanks for taking time to explain that. Thought it was not much of an issue as there was not much chat about it in reviews / forum posts. Just had seen a couple of reference to it.
Cheers 🍻
Honestly, it seems pretty on par for a stock cable (assuming I got one of the good ones), but my EVO REALLY benefitted from a cable upgrade. One thing I concluded almost immediately when beginning to cable roll. I wouldn’t say it was up to the standard that Odin’s Stormbreaker set.

May 10, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #35,653 of 40,485
Hi,
Cheers 🍻

I had a chance to go back and listen to the demo. The bad sound comes from the demo cable for sure.
There is no problem with the body.
But that doesn't mean other store demos have quality issue.
Overall, I think the genesis cable is just okay.:relaxed:

May 10, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #35,654 of 40,485
I just bought an Empire Odin from a friend in mint condition.

So, I joined the club :)

I am a little bit confused regarding the cable and maybe an Odin owner can help me.

The package shows a 2,5mm balanced cable (see picture).

However, he bought an "high-end-cable" directly when he ordered the Odin from the headphone online shop.
Brand: Effect Audio
3,5mm - therefore unbalanced
See pictures.

As far as i understand, a balanced cable has more power and provides the better sound experience. Every cable I have for my other IEMs or headphones are either 2,5mm or 4,4mm balanced.

So I asked the online shop if I can switch the cable. He offered me the "ALO Audio Reference 8 In-Ear Cable - 2,5mm balanced / 2-pin"

Questions:
- How would you rank the Effect Audio cable I have?
- How much does this particular cable cost? I couldn't find the exact same cable online.
- What is your opinion about the Reference 8 cable?
- Does it worth a 1:1 exchange or should I sell my Effect Audio cable separately and buy another 2,5mm or 4,4mm balanced cable?
- Whoch 2,5mm / 4,4mm cable would you recommend for the Odin?

May 10, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #35,655 of 40,485
I just bought an Empire Odin from a friend in mint condition.

So, I joined the club :)

I am a little bit confused regarding the cable and maybe an Odin owner can help me.

The package shows a 2,5mm balanced cable (see picture).

However, he bought an "high-end-cable" directly when he ordered the Odin from the headphone online shop.
Brand: Effect Audio
3,5mm - therefore unbalanced
See pictures.

As far as i understand, a balanced cable has more power and provides the better sound experience. Every cable I have for my other IEMs or headphones are either 2,5mm or 4,4mm balanced.

So I asked the online shop if I can switch the cable. He offered me the "ALO Audio Reference 8 In-Ear Cable - 2,5mm balanced / 2-pin"

Questions:
- How would you rank the Effect Audio cable I have?
- How much does this particular cable cost? I couldn't find the exact same cable online.
- What is your opinion about the Reference 8 cable?
- Does it worth a 1:1 exchange or should I sell my Effect Audio cable separately and buy another 2,5mm or 4,4mm balanced cable?
- Whoch 2,5mm / 4,4mm cable would you recommend for the Odin?

That is not the standard cable. Unless you got a real good deal you might want to get the cable from them that came with Odin. The cable you pictured is a basic cable…. Not high end.

See link…

https://empireears.com/products/stormbreaker

The stormbreaker comes standard with Odin.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back