Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 29, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #35,356 of 40,559
very different signature from their likings, waaaaay too much basses and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay not enough treble/air.
every ranking - even Crin's or BGGV's - is a personal ranking and depends on personal taste.
I like EVO very much, but I'm conscious of their limits, they're not an universal IEM (and I don't think have been tuned to be like that) and they have a very strong personality that can be loved or hated.
I totally get it that the Evo has a special tuning and is not to everybody's taste. It is meant that way with its bassy signature. However, it is a complete mystery to me why the Odin is not on top of reviewers' perfect tonality list. It's S to me (although I can easily live with that S- position).

Mar 29, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #35,357 of 40,559
I totally get it that the Evo has a special tuning and is not to everybody's taste. It is meant that way with its bassy signature. However, it is a complete mystery to me why the Odin is not on top of reviewers' perfect tonality list. It's S to me (although I can easily live with that S- position).
I vaguely remember that Hawaii boy complaining the treble is fatiguing for long listening

Mar 30, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #35,361 of 40,559
Just wondering why EVO and Odin ranks not very high on either BGGV or Crincle's list?
Tonality can be very subjective however technicality should be less subjective.

Technicality covers quite many aspects: detail retrieval, imaging, soundstage, timbre etc.

Crin technicality rank is a single score that combines all of them.
Unfortunately we do not know how he scores each of them.

For this reason I prefer @Precogvision ranking.

Imo, Odin technicality (S-) easily beats u12t (S) and vx (S+).

Mar 30, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #35,362 of 40,559
How do the MK II Hero and the Valkyrie compare?
Which MKII? I don’t think the Hero has a MKII yet but the Valky does.

I’ve compared the Hero and Valky OG before and I still think when it comes to a fun V-shape sound, I still much prefer the Valky. The Hero impressed me but I just much preferred the more energetic treble of the OG Valky.

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #35,363 of 40,559

It's also on Resolve's top must listen to list! I think it's also a case of it being hard to get for an extended period of time to do a proper review unless you're someone like the aforementioned, or it comes to you on a tour.

Which MKII? I don’t think the Hero has a MKII yet but the Valky does.

I’ve compared the Hero and Valky OG before and I still think when it comes to a fun V-shape sound, I still much prefer the Valky. The Hero impressed me but I just much preferred the more energetic treble of the OG Valky.

Funny, I'm the opposite. I thought the treble on the Hero was fatiguing but I absolutely love both the Vakly and Valky II. What I think of as far as representation for proper basshead IEM goes in their pricerange!

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #35,364 of 40,559
The Valk MKII has wonderful bass. It is very dynamic. It is a V shape but one of the few V shape I think is done incredibly well.

Mar 31, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #35,365 of 40,559
Has anyone used a desktop headphone amp for their EE's?

I was wondering if it is safe to use my headphone amp to hear out of curiosity how my Evo will sound. It is 4 or 5W into 50 ohms. I would of course use the lowest gain settings and leave the volume at zero and gradually bring up the level to the volume I want.

I was just curious if it is too much for the IEM.

Mar 31, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #35,366 of 40,559

I was wondering if it is safe to use my headphone amp to hear out of curiosity how my Evo will sound. It is 4 or 5W into 50 ohms. I would of course use the lowest gain settings and leave the volume at zero and gradually bring up the level to the volume I want.

I use the IFI micro iDSD Signature for the EE LX (with a similarly low impedance to the Evo) and it’s fine. That amp has setting for high sensitivity IEMs, and in fact the audio chain is powered by the internal battery so output voltage can be scaled back safely.

Having said that I also stream Roon to the iDSD via USB from a Sonore MicroRendu. The iDSD requires a female USB-A connection but a USB cable comes with it has that connection. The advantage to Roon is that I can use the PEQ in Roon’s DSP to fine tune the FR ie for most songs I subtract a 3DB bass shelf which helps balance the FR signature a bit. Mostly, however, I just let the LX do its thing with respect to bass. If you ADD a bass shelf, Roon’s DSP has a ‘headroom’ adjustment if you increase more than 3DB (the default). This can be important to do to avoid clipping.

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #35,367 of 40,559

I use a Flux Labs FA-10 (16W @ 32Ohms) with the EE Legend EVO sometimes. The important thing is to have a low output impedance on your amp (in this amp's case it's 0.15Ohm) and the SNR ratio to avoid any hiss. Your approach is the right way to do it, so give it a go and see how it works with your amp.

Btw, if you experience any hiss you could always use the IEMatch dongle to make it go away.

Mar 31, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #35,369 of 40,559
I use a Flux Labs FA-10 (16W @ 32Ohms) with the EE Legend EVO sometimes. The important thing is to have a low output impedance on your amp (in this amp's case it's 0.15Ohm) and the SNR ratio to avoid any hiss. Your approach is the right way to do it, so give it a go and see how it works with your amp.

Btw, if you experience any hiss you could always use the IEMatch dongle to make it go away.
I noticed that you have FA-10, did you notice any difference between feeds from SMSL SU-9 vs Shiit Modi3. I am itching for an upgrade of my Modi3, just not sure whether it makes noticeable difference or not.

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #35,370 of 40,559

My Legend X works very well with my RME ADI-2 DAC FS which has an IEM specific output. Tried with a Topping A90 for the brief time I had it and it wasn’t usable. Too much power even in the lowest gain where I would end up in the channel inbalance range. As others mentionned, output impedance matters and it is still dangerous both for your hearing and the IEM to use powerful headphone amps unless it really has a dedicated IEM out.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back