Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 27, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #34,156 of 40,346
Interesting analogy. I have not yet heard the Evo, but I feel like using either of these photos to portray the Bird does not do it justice. The Traillii puts me inside the music, in amongst the band so to speak, due to its large but immersive soundstage, which fits with the first photo. At the same time you still get the whole picture, which would fit with the second photo. So in my mind, it's a combination really, but no such picture exists I guess.. :) Which is what makes the Traillii unique.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I could have gone on with a longer thesis but I just wanted to highlight one of the standout difference for me. There's lot to be said about tuning of both, DAP pairing, and music preferences. @gLer and @subguy812 put it nicely :wink:

Oct 27, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #34,157 of 40,346
Yeah, I know what you mean. I could have gone on with a longer thesis but I just wanted to highlight one of the standout difference for me. There's lot to be said about tuning of both, DAP pairing, and music preferences. @gLer and @subguy812 put it nicely :wink:
Posts like yours are making me very curious... I guess I had better hear the Evo for myself ... :wink:

Oct 27, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #34,158 of 40,346
I recently read somewhere (can't recall where) an explanation of sound bone conduction for the novice. It went along the lines of why listening to your own recorded voice (which is the same as others hear you) never sounds the same as your own voice sounds to you. A significant fraction of the sound of your voice you hear is through bone conduction.

This begs the question -- if the sound of your voice you hear in your head is not accurate -- but rather 'distorted' from reality through bone conduction, why would adding bone conduction to an IEM not also distort the sound from the way you hear music naturally (through the air)?

Just a thought experiment really, but, what is the answer?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #34,159 of 40,346
I recently read somewhere (can't recall where) an explanation of sound bone conduction for the novice. It went along the lines of why listening to your own recorded voice (which is the same as others hear you) never sounds the same as your own voice sounds to you. A significant fraction of the sound of your voice you hear is through bone conduction.

This begs the question -- if the sound of your voice you hear in your head is not accurate -- but rather 'distorted' from reality through bone conduction, why would adding bone conduction to an IEM not also distort the sound from the way you hear music naturally (through the air)?

Just a thought experiment really, but, what is the answer?
The short answer, for me, is that you will hear differences (depending on how the BC driver has been implemented, which FR it affects, and how much of the BC 'sound' is tuned into the final mix of what you hear). This will vary from IEM to IEM, but in EVO's case, I'm hearing things (or rather feeling things) that I haven't with other IEMs, and quite enjoying that too. Also, some people hear more via BC than they do via air conduction (due to anatomy, physiology, hearing loss etc.) so will hear the effects of a BC driver differently to others with different hearing to their own.

...in other words there is no short answer, but maybe someone with more technical or medical knowledge than me will chime in.

Oct 27, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #34,160 of 40,346
I’ve had the EVO now since launch, though wasn’t able to listen to it much the first week because of a bad ear infection. Used the time I was out of commission to season them, and have been listening exclusively to them the past couple weeks.

Just today I’ve been going back and forth between the EVO and the trailli and the best way I can describe the difference is that the EVO sounds like you are standing right at the front at the barricade in front of the stage at a rock venue or festival with a really great PA system, whereas the trailli sounds like you are in a lightly amped jazz club or in the studio with the band in a semicircle around your table. With the EVO, beyond the increased bass emphasis, there is a bodied heft driving the sound like you get from hearing a live show. It generally sounds like you are listening through a system, but you have that feeling you get up at the front of a live concert where you really feel the sound physically. You are there, but much of what you’re hearing is coming from the house system. You can still hear lots of little details, even catching some things like they are direct out of the amps on stage vs the PA, and there’s the physicality of it has a really powerful driving quality that really makes you feel in the moment and wanting to rock out. With the EVO, you are at a show surrounded by die hard fans, and you are THERE FOR IT.

The trailli doesn’t have the physicality and heft as the EVO, but there is a clarity, texture and sharpness to the imaging that makes you feel like you are listening to everything in the room, before it hits the mixing board. The trailli has a wider stage, and while it doesn’t hit you over the head with it, there is a little more texture and detail, particularly in the mids and treble should you care to explore it. With the trailli you almost feel like you’ve snuck into the studio or you are catching a special intimate show with just you, the band, and maybe a few lucky others.

Which works better depends on both your mood and the track. They’re both fantastic, but as others have said, quite different vibes.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #34,161 of 40,346
I’ve had the EVO now since launch, though wasn’t able to listen to it much the first week because of a bad ear infection. Used the time I was out of commission to season them, and have been listening exclusively to them the past couple weeks.

Just today I’ve been going back and forth between the EVO and the trailli and the best way I can describe the difference is that the EVO sounds like you are standing right at the front at the barricade in front of the stage at a rock venue or festival with a really great PA system, whereas the trailli sounds like you are in a lightly amped jazz club or in the studio with the band in a semicircle around your table. With the EVO, beyond the increased bass emphasis, there is a bodied heft driving the sound like you get from hearing a live show. It generally sounds like you are listening through a system, but you have that feeling you get up at the front of a live concert where you really feel the sound physically. You are there, but much of what you’re hearing is coming from the house system. You can still hear lots of little details, even catching some things like they are direct out of the amps on stage vs the PA, and there’s the physicality of it has a really powerful driving quality that really makes you feel in the moment and wanting to rock out. With the EVO, you are at a show surrounded by die hard fans, and you are THERE FOR IT.

The trailli doesn’t have the physicality and heft as the EVO, but there is a clarity, texture and sharpness to the imaging that makes you feel like you are listening to everything in the room, before it hits the mixing board. The trailli has a wider stage, and while it doesn’t hit you over the head with it, there is a little more texture and detail, particularly in the mids and treble should you care to explore it. With the trailli you almost feel like you’ve snuck into the studio or you are catching a special intimate show with just you, the band, and maybe a few lucky others.

Which works better depends on both your mood and the track. They’re both fantastic, but as others have said, quite different vibes.
That is one excellent description - you're probably not even aware how close you've come to describing the EXACT design goals of EVO. :sunglasses: Does anyone with a VE EXT care to chime in how that compares/fits in with the description above, relative to EVO specifically?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #34,162 of 40,346

I get such a kick out of feeling the thumping vibrations of EVO when I put my hand on the IEM whilst listening to it. Granted, I may be listening at a volume that would cause some to highlight concern for my eardrum safety, which I am mindful of, no worries. With EVO, it brings me back to my attendance at Metallica concerts. Pure listening joy 👩‍🎤

Oct 28, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #34,163 of 40,346

Just today I’ve been going back and forth between the EVO and the trailli and the best way I can describe the difference is that the EVO sounds like you are standing right at the front at the barricade in front of the stage at a rock venue or festival with a really great PA system, whereas the trailli sounds l ike you are in a lightly amped jazz club or in the studio with the band in a semicircle around your table. With the EVO, beyond the increased bass emphasis, there is a bodied heft driving the sound like you get from hearing a live show. It generally sounds like you are listening through a system, but you have that feeling you get up at the front of a live concert where you really feel the sound physically. You are there, but much of what you’re hearing is coming from the house system. You can still hear lots of little details, even catching some things like they are direct out of the amps on stage vs the PA, and there’s the physicality of it has a really powerful driving quality that really makes you feel in the moment and wanting to rock out. With the EVO, you are at a show surrounded by die hard fans, and you are THERE FOR IT.

Nice description, thanks. I should have an Evo next week. Looking forward to it! :sunglasses:

Oct 28, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #34,164 of 40,346
That is one excellent description - you're probably not even aware how close you've come to describing the EXCAT design goals of EVO. :sunglasses: Does anyone with a VE EXT care to chime in how that compares/fits in with the description above, relative to EVO specifically?

I will I get home, I've been in the hospital since Tuesday with severe bradycardia and other conduction abnormalities. UK installed a Defibrillator/Pacemaker yesterday evening, and so far, so good. Hopefully, I'll go home later today. I m hoping the Merlin home monitoring device they send with it won't increase EMI, or it will have to go🤣.

A short answer, from notoriously bad audio memory is that while both the EXT and EVO offer extraordinary deep bass, they do so quite differently, with the latter offering industry best “attack, assertive, aggressiveness,” the EXT is a smooth operator, refined, elegant pure mods, the best EST highs I’ve heard (I have not heard the Tralli). If I could only have two IEMs, my Bombers, LX, Baldr, V8 and Elysium would be hitting the classifieds. Theses two take everything these others excel in, and combine that magic into two IEMs.

Caveats, memory, strong pain meds, and of course the no-sleep hospital setting.

Oct 28, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #34,165 of 40,346
IMG_20211027_182658.jpg

Legend X customs and Evo standing side by side with each other. You can definitely see the evolution in the bass. The Evo now has more initial slam to the bass just like the Odin then follows up with Legend X’s sub bass rumble but in a slightly toned down version. Though the Evo is still largely bass boosted, it is more controlled than ever.

In direct comparison, the vocals of the Evo are more like the Odin and not like the Legend X. Evo also has more treble energy compared to Lx.
But I can still safely say it is an upgrade from the Legend X, at least in terms of technically the Evo is more superior.

Just in case you have missed my more in depth impression of the Evo, link is below.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/emp...merly-earwerkz.786335/page-2271#post-16623285

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #34,170 of 40,346
Very shameless plug for an excellent IEM that needs a new home. I just dropped my LXSE IEMs to $1525.

But if someone on this thread wants them for $1475 just send me a PM and we will work it out. I am in a selling mood this week.

IMG_8789.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back