Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 8, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #30,361 of 40,559
I think EE and VE should just do a collab already and blow away the competition 🤷🏻‍♂️

E32B1C07-BCD7-469F-BF2E-E47383BC1373.png

It looks like VE is sourcing the same polymer faceplates as EE with its own wrinkle in design, quite beautiful!

Jul 8, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #30,363 of 40,559
It looks like VE is sourcing the same polymer faceplates as EE with its own wrinkle in design, quite beautiful!
They are gorgeous but, it’s kinda ‘meh’ seeing other companies “source” aka rip off the faceplates that were proprietary to Empire Ears. Proprietary until another certain someone more or less gave up the chemist making these chemical reactive faceplates for others to now use.

I’ll leave it at that. EE will continue to innovate and others will continue to replicate.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #30,364 of 40,559
Just arrived….
6F956885-AEF8-4B7D-BED6-C540DB52E5CF.jpeg
9DEF62BC-B9C2-4264-86E7-EB56D0BDD73D.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #30,365 of 40,559
They are gorgeous but, it’s kinda ‘meh’ seeing other companies “source” aka rip off the faceplates that were proprietary to Empire Ears.
Oh come on please put the flames of fanboism out a bit. VE's bottom right one was revealed roughly at the same time as EE's. It can be a coincidence. Or are we gonna argue who ripped off abalone faceplates first? Damn nature giving away its tech! Or how did Oriolus outright steal the crappy way of boringly displaying custom faceplates en masse devoid of details straight from any random chifi brand offering customs?

Jul 8, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #30,366 of 40,559
Oh come on please put the flames of fanboism out a bit. VE's bottom right one was revealed roughly at the same time as EE's. It can be a coincidence. Or are we gonna argue who ripped off abalone faceplates first? Damn nature giving away its tech! Or how did Oriolus outright steal the crappy way of boringly displaying custom faceplates en masse devoid of details straight from any random chifi brand offering customs?

Not trying to be THAT guy but I got my LX CIEMs as a performance bonus for killing it at NAMM in January, 2019. We'd been toying with the Odin prototype materials for a minute by that time so I asked to be a guinea pig for a few of the materials to see if they were long-term suitable. We ultimately chose Dragonhide and Bifrost as our final production materials, but we've been playing with them and custom ordering them for a long while. We've even made a few CIEMs with it last year on a by request basis. We'd been keeping mum about it as the materials are hard to source and they weren't properly part of our production workflow.

We actually have an agreement of exclusivity with the original manufacturer of these materials and we get it made for us by the square yard when we order, but that agreement does not extend to his dealer network who are free to have whatever customers they'd like.

In as far as fanboism goes, I'm beyond grateful for the adamant fans we have and will admit that there are moments where we are given the undeserved benefit of the doubt, when we were human and fell short.

However, this is a pretty clear case of we did it first and a competitor exposed the supplier (how very noble). Turns out VE has great taste and who can blame them, they're super rad materials. Now we just adapt and innovate again. Such is the Pursuit of Extraordinary™ :ksc75smile:

I don't think my LX units look any less smexy just because someone else has that same option, yaknow? I can tell you none of us here are terribly worried about it, just fuel for the fire to go higher next time.

And to be honest, any day where we're compared favorably with VE is a pretty alright day. Their team will still be my first stop for a beer when the canjamming commences.

Attachments

• PXL_20201230_144857943.jpg
    PXL_20201230_144857943.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Jul 8, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #30,367 of 40,559
Not trying to be THAT guy but I got my LX CIEMs as a performance bonus for killing it at NAMM in January, 2019. We'd been toying with the Odin prototype materials for a minute by that time so I asked to be a guinea pig for a few of the materials to see if they were long-term suitable. We ultimately chose Dragonhide and Bifrost as our final production materials, but we've been playing with them and custom ordering them for a long while. We've even made a few CIEMs with it last year on a by request basis. We'd been keeping mum about it as the materials are hard to source and they weren't properly part of our production workflow.

We actually have an agreement of exclusivity with the original manufacturer of these materials and we get it made for us by the square yard when we order, but that agreement does not extend to his dealer network who are free to have whatever customers they'd like.

In as far as fanboism goes, I'm beyond grateful for the adamant fans we have and will admit that there are moments where we are given the undeserved benefit of the doubt, when we were human and fell short.

However, this is a pretty clear case of we did it first and a competitor exposed the supplier (how very noble). Turns out VE has great taste and who can blame them, they're super rad materials. Now we just adapt and innovate again. Such is the Pursuit of Extraordinary™ :ksc75smile:

I don't think my LX units look any less smexy just because someone else has that same option, yaknow? I can tell you none of us here are terribly worried about it, just fuel for the fire to go higher next time.

And to be honest, any day where we're compared favorably with VE is a pretty alright day. Their team will still be my first stop for a beer when the canjamming commences.

When is that continuum one available on the site ? 👀

Jul 8, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #30,369 of 40,559

Those faceplates are just insanely gorgeous… 😳😳😳

Jul 8, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #30,371 of 40,559
Thanks for settling the debate! Always cool to see you guys appear here anime style "Well actually..." while correcting glasses :o2smile: Oh and I volunteer as tribute for any super secret faceplates!

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #30,372 of 40,559

Thanks for settling the debate! Always cool to see you guys appear here anime style "Well actually..." while correcting glasses :o2smile: Oh and I volunteer as tribute for any super secret faceplates!

I must’ve missed the debate. Too busy, fanboying I suppose.

Insane how something naturally occurring (abalone) was used as an anchor of reference.. versus a man made material.. exclusively contracted by Empire Ears… years ago... but I digress. I suppose knowing things before you try to condemn others always beats the alternative. Have a great day, bud.

Jul 8, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #30,373 of 40,559
The whole discussion of who came first, the egg or the chicken.

these faceplates are great.
@JoshWatkins time to find the next big thing in faceplate. (I suggest Australian Opal. No one does it today)

Jul 8, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #30,374 of 40,559
The whole discussion of who came first, the egg or the chicken.

these faceplates are great.
@JoshWatkins time to find the next big thing in faceplate. (I suggest Australian Opal. No one does it today)
I don’t know which came first between the chicken and egg but I do know I wholeheartedly agree about opal faceplates. I’d recommend synthetic though lol… the real deal is pricey.

Jul 8, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #30,375 of 40,559
Ha ha. It’s complicated. My family likes bluegrass but I hate it. However, I tried to learn BG guitar for about 2 years so I could back up my son but never got any good (thus the name slowpickr). The talent completely skipped me. I’ve since quit playing or trying to play rather. I’ll take Pink Floyd over Ricky Skaggs any day.

We are in agreement
They are gorgeous but, it’s kinda ‘meh’ seeing other companies “source” aka rip off the faceplates that were proprietary to Empire Ears. Proprietary until another certain someone more or less gave up the chemist making these chemical reactive faceplates for others to now use.

I’ll leave it at that. EE will continue to innovate and others will continue to replicate.
Always the detective, now go and take care of that “another certain person, ” don't be too rough, wink, wink🤫

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back