Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 5, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #27,257 of 40,529
'Currently editing photos for the ODIN review coming this Sunday. I won't reveal too much, but I have a feeling the film photography geeks on the thread are gonna be really happy with these. :wink:

ILP_3010-Edit-Edit.jpg
Dang Daniel, that's an amazing shot! Really great job on capturing the colours like that. Looks stunning! Very much looking forward to seeing the rest. :grin:

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #27,258 of 40,529
Can I ask you why do you sell these ?

Using funds to get other gear and want Odin to go to someone who may not be able to afford retail, or wait 8-12 weeks for a pair.

Mar 5, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #27,259 of 40,529
'Currently editing photos for the ODIN review coming this Sunday. I won't reveal too much, but I have a feeling the film photography geeks on the thread are gonna be really happy with these. :wink:

ILP_3010-Edit-Edit.jpg
The countdown begins. I' m here for the pictures first and impressions second

Mar 5, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #27,260 of 40,529

ILP_3010-Edit-Edit.jpg
Sheesh, really looks like the colorful, cosmic bifrost in the Thor movies. Beautiful! And trippy!

Mar 5, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #27,261 of 40,529
Same lol

I don’t have a macro lens so Daniel has them covered for me 😂

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #27,262 of 40,529
Dang Daniel, that's an amazing shot! Really great job on capturing the colours like that. Looks stunning! Very much looking forward to seeing the rest. :grin:
Sheesh, really looks like the colorful, cosmic bifrost in the Thor movies. Beautiful! And trippy!
Thanks so much, dudes! This (and a couple others from the set) is a really unorthodox shot for me, because the faceplates are almost facing away from the light. Normally, you'd just get a dark, dull faceplate when that happens. But, these Bifrost plates really are something else. It's been fun exploring all the different ways you can shoot them. At the same time, I've been able to get away with certain angles that typically wouldn't be available to me. So, that's a nice plus too. :D

^ Also the order of difficulty in crafting my reviews. :p

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #27,263 of 40,529
^ Also the order of difficulty in crafting my reviews. :p
I’m the opposite 😂

Taking photos is pretty much second nature to me now, while writing is still something I need to improve on.

Btw, what lights do you use for your shots?

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #27,264 of 40,529
I’m the opposite 😂

Taking photos is pretty much second nature to me now, while writing is still something I need to improve on.

Btw, what lights do you use for your shots?
It's a Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite in a simple light box. Sometimes I use the diffuser attachment on it, but it depends on the subject. I do need to get a bigger light box one of these days, though. Photographing packaging would be way easier. :D

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #27,265 of 40,529
It's a Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite in a simple light box. Sometimes I use the diffuser attachment on it, but it depends on the subject. I do need to get a bigger light box one of these days, though. Photographing packaging would be way easier. :D
Nice! Having a big light source is always good just harder to control light bleeds. Gotta get some grids for that 😆

Lighting is so much fun tho

Since you’re shooting with speedlights.
Just sharing a trick, especially if you’re using a tripod. Just to make the logo pop, grab either a toothpick or something similar (just so you have something to hold on to lol) and take some aluminum foil about the size of the logo and use that as a reflector. Play around with the placement to get the right pop. That’s what usually do to get some pop out of the EE logo on my shots.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #27,266 of 40,529
Nice! Having a big light source is always good just harder to control light bleeds. Gotta get some grids for that 😆

Just sharing a trick, especially if you’re using a tripod. Just to make the logo pop, grab either a toothpick or something similar (just so you have something to hold on to lol) and take some aluminum foil about the size of the logo and use that as a reflector. Play around with the placement to get the right pop. That’s what usually do to get some pop out of the EE logo on my shots.
Thanks! I'll give that a go some time. :)

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #27,267 of 40,529

That’s a really cool tip! One of these days I will add speedlights to my lengthy photography wish list. :sweat_smile:

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #27,268 of 40,529
That’s a really cool tip! One of these days I will add speedlights to my lengthy photography wish list. :sweat_smile:
Can’t wait to see what you come up with buddy!

And you can use the tip with any lighting. It’s just that it usually works better with controlled and direct lighting.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #27,269 of 40,529
You pay VAT at 20% on the price of the goods plus cost of shipping and any insurance. There is also a small handling fee from the courier for moving the goods through customs. From what I’ve seen from HMRC duties and tariffs codes info there doesn’t seem to be duty costs on small personal audio equipment and I haven’t noticed duty on any invoices I’ve received.

I wasn’t aware that I could get EE goods in the UK. In the past, with trying to get other gear I wanted, my searches led me to either US or Singapore sellers. As people on here were very happy with Musicteck I decided to give them a try and I was very happy with the whole process. Andrew at Musicteck was extremely helpful with all of my queries and made the purchase process stress free. Like most consumers, when you have a positive experience with a seller it reinforces your trust and confidence in buying from them.

Anyway, back to EE and I’m currently saving for a flagship IEM. At the moment that is looking like the Odin.
Hifonix certainly sell EE and that is where I bought my Odins from. I think Audio Sanctuary do as well.

Mar 5, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #27,270 of 40,529
Finally finished my last touch in LX + R8 chain.. Finally found use for Azla eartips light.

The duo was a killer from the start technically but i had issues with tonal synergy. As subbass from R8 and LX is seriously skull crushing, even if i am a basshead i dont like my upper mids recessed too much and thats what i had back then. Too much equing introduced unwanted artifacts all sorts of nasties so i had to rely on tips.

I have most of main brands of tips including few types of azlas. But they never were my favourites. Just solid average joes with nothing special to offer and nothing to complain about.

Anyways, i started tip rolling going through my ussual go to ones and they usually either push bass forward too much or kill it with loosing seal. Or just exaggerate treble. Whichever way leaveing mids slightly behind.

So i figured i will give azlas a go. And damn what a revelation. What i get now is - instead of over powering bass that kills mids and only allows?trebe to shine. It has almost the same massive Rumble but instead lets mids are always sitting on top with great synergy and coherency. Reminded me yet again the power of tips.
Theyre like tyres for sorts cars.

Funny enough i found azlas one of less comfortable usually. But after reducing size from M to MS they are amazing. And i do wear them 5-8h a day 3-5 days a week.

I what azla have done well compared to other tips is they kept the tube long on normal version. This pushes ear away from Cannons-X giving poor mids a chance to survive. I have tried azla light shorts and they sounded too bassy aswell. As well. As other shallow fit tips like spirals, whirlwinds, Spirals++
Obviously the narrow bore tips were out of question as they concentrated that bass further and killed other frequencies behind.

Anyways, i think i can sell of my dx300 easily and enjoy music in a grand presentation until i get another new toy fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back