Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 14, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #26,641 of 40,541
You can definitely experiment with EQ.
My biggest issue with EQ is that, without actually measuring the results of your adjustments, you’ll never know if you’re actually ”fixing” what you wanted to adjust or you might just make it worse lol
That's why I don't EQ. I always mess it up. :wink:

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #26,643 of 40,541
That's why I don't EQ. I always mess it up. :wink:

Same with me lol

I mean, the company worked soooo hard with the tuning.
So who am I to change it? Lol
There are sooooo many flavours nowadays that can satisfy pretty much anyone.

But I also believe in EQ when there is an almost perfect IEM for them but it might be a little too ”peaky” in an area and that’s where a measured EQ would definitely help.

That’s also why I’m still lusting over a JustEar IEM due to the fact that I can work with their Sound Engineers to precisely tune the IEM to my exact preferences. It’s very expensive, but it’s the most “Personal” thing ever.

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #26,644 of 40,541
Thanks for that. The reason for the question was graphs like the one below from Crin. I'm struggling to correlate what people are hearing from what the graphs are showing me.

graph (60)~2.png
With graphs, you really need to take the graph as a whole and not just the bass part.

Due to the warmth of the mid-bass to the low-mids, and the “brighter” upper treble. That affects the overall presentation of the bass and will make it more in-line with the rest of the FR. While the Odin has a “deeper” slope towards the lower mids, a more elevated upper mids, and a more “neutral” treble. That isolates the sub-bass of the Odin and gives a noticeable harder kick in the sub region.

I agree completely with @riverground here. It's really important to look at the whole picture when comparing measurements, because things can shift depending on which frequency range you personally use to determine your loudness level. For example, if the midrange is where you tend to "level" your IEM's listening volume, then the Noir will perceivably have a lot more bass when the two are volume-matched. Whereas, if you determine your listening volume via the treble, they'll have relatively similar lows, which is what @riverground is referring to in a sense.

Thanks @CrocodileDundee and @riverground that's what I figured as well. It's all about tonal balance across the FR. I wonder if that trick works with EQ - so instead of pushing the bass, you'd lower the treble to open up the bass, relatively speaking?

No matter how long you're in the hobby, there's always new stuff to learn.

I'd definitely suggest just bumping up the lows if you want more low-end. Usually, you'll notice a lack of lows when the kick drum or bass line isn't coming out as far forward as the lead, midrange instrument. If you're lowering the treble, all you'll do is make everything less articulate, but still have the midrange sit further forward than the kick and bass. The only exception to this rule is if you have a strongly v-shaped IEM. In that case, shelving the highs a tad would be the thing to do.

You can definitely experiment with EQ.
My biggest issue with EQ is that, without actually measuring the results of your adjustments, you’ll never know if you’re actually ”fixing” what you wanted to adjust or you might just make it worse lol

This is me mixing and mastering... and also on fire. :D

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #26,645 of 40,541
Just to add on to the graph comparisons conversation, where the IEMs are matched also makes a big difference. The rule of thumb is to use 1kHz; however, this doesn’t necessarily translate accurately on a case-by-case basis. It’s more of a “go with your gut” thing.

In the case of Crin’s graphing tool, I believe they’re matched by equal loudness, but that’s where what everyone else has been saying about taking into account the overall tonal balance comes into play too. Anyways, graphs are great, and I check them to make sure I’m not crazy, but they definitely have their limitations especially when you’re trying to draw comparisons!

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #26,646 of 40,541
Thanks for that. The reason for the question was graphs like the one below from Crin. I'm struggling to correlate what people are hearing from what the graphs are showing me.

graph (60)~2.png
Even when EQ'd to heck with the subbass, the noir just couldn't match the deepness in the Odin. Sure it'll be louder but the Odin has a more satisfying thump. This could also be due to fit as the Odin with XS spinfits seem to give me the most isolation and enjoyment, while I mainly used Spiral Dots on the Noir (super deep vs super shallow i guess).

Of course that is my experience (sorry i know you didn't want an answer like that) but I can't seem to remember the noir having an Odin-like bass like that. Maybe its an effect pre-20Hz that's not shown? The noir seems to dip while the Odin plateaus. of course that's just a guess going beyond human hearing. Wish I could be of more help :)

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #26,647 of 40,541
Even when EQ'd to heck with the subbass, the noir just couldn't match the deepness in the Odin. Sure it'll be louder but the Odin has a more satisfying thump. This could also be due to fit as the Odin with XS spinfits seem to give me the most isolation and enjoyment, while I mainly used Spiral Dots on the Noir (super deep vs super shallow i guess).

Of course that is my experience (sorry i know you didn't want an answer like that) but I can't seem to remember the noir having an Odin-like bass like that. Maybe its an effect pre-20Hz that's not shown? The noir seems to dip while the Odin plateaus. of course that's just a guess going beyond human hearing. Wish I could be of more help :)
You've been a great help, thank you. From my various chats here and offline it seems the OG Fourte is actually tuned closer in terms of bass presentation to Odin than Noir, with the OG focused more on sub bass and Noir on mid bass. That could well be another factor. The Odin also has the benefit of twin subwoofers, which more than likely comes into play as well.

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #26,648 of 40,541
what cable do you use with Phantom? i don't have the stock Ares II that comes with them so i use Triton 12 OCC and they are so blissful i can listen to them for hours

I am using the stock Ares cable.

Jan 15, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #26,649 of 40,541
Huge shoutout and thanks to @JoshWatkins for seeing my post and sending out a cleaning tool that was missing from my Hero. Great stuff EE!!

Jan 18, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #26,655 of 40,541
It's a thing now - ARE YOU HAPPY YET!?!?
download.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back