Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 20, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #26,056 of 40,559
How about a cheaper Custom LX-like IEM?
Something in the $995 price range?

Only on headfi could $900 be considered "cheap" :)*

*Yes I know compared to LX, Odin, Valkrie and the rest but still.

I did write cheaper - I agree that (at least for me) $900 is not "cheap". But compared to LX's $2000+ price tag, $900 is cheaper :wink:

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #26,058 of 40,559
HOW ABOUT THEM ODIN BLACK FRIDAY DEALS OVER AT BLOOMAUDIO!?!
For someone who was willing to pay $1350 - getting $135 off is nice.
For someone on the fence - that is not enough to push off the fence IMHO.

Just sayin' cause you asked! :wink:

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #26,061 of 40,559
Agree to disagree. I say that EE even offering a discount on their latest flagship is generous.
Yeah I definitely didn’t expect that. Somewhere in this thread is me saying it won’t happen lol-nice surprise.

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #26,062 of 40,559
@Jack Vang and/or @JoshWatkins remind us please when you expect the MKII’s to be available here in the U.S.?
I see them available at ECT and Zeppelin already...getting antsy!

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #26,063 of 40,559
64 Audio isn’t even including the Nio as part of their BF promo.
Yeah, annoys me that they never include the "lesser" models in the sales they do. Might be the "gateway" iem that get people hooked on the brand. Not everyone has a few thousand dollars/pounds/euros to spend on the latest and greatest. Hopefully rumours of a more consumer orientated brand are true.

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #26,064 of 40,559
Yeah, annoys me that they never include the "lesser" models in the sales they do. Might be the "gateway" iem that get people hooked on the brand. Not everyone has a few thousand dollars/pounds/euros to spend on the latest and greatest. Hopefully rumours of a more consumer orientated brand are true.

I got 15% off my Valkyrie. Maybe a Covid special, something like that.

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #26,066 of 40,559
Question: is the Hero similar to the Odin in terms of overall tone/timbre?

I have no way to demo and would like to get a sense of what the Odin might sound like overall before spending that much, and there's also a good chance I'd be satisfied with the Hero enough to save the extra 2k. (I do enjoy my Solaris 2020 for instance, though I'm looking for a different overall presentation).

This would be my first EE IEM. Thanks!

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #26,067 of 40,559
Hey, everyone. After some terribly unfortunate delays, my First Look at the Odin is finally live on TheHeadphoneList.com! Hopefully, it'll add at least a bit more insight to the plethora already shared on this very thread, along with a few more faceplate pics to add to the pile too. :D As always, I hope y'all enjoy, and the full review will come hopefully sooner than later. Cheers. :)

A First Look: Empire Ears Odin

AFL-Odin-1 (S).jpg

P.S. I don't go in-depth on the Odin's much-discussed upper-midrange peak in the teaser, as it's something I'd like to delve further into on the full review. But, over the course of writing it, I have discovered that insertion depth affects how it sits in the mix quite a lot; more than most. As someone who typically sits universals a tad further out to tone down the upper-mids, I was surprised to find doing so on the Odin had the opposite effect. Inserting it deeper actually helped fill out the bottom and bring the high-mids better in-line. It also made the slight treble colouration I discussed a few weeks ago even less noticeable, which was great to hear. As always, with universals, it's important to mess around with tips and depths; if anything, just to know what the in-ear you have is capable of. But, with the Odin, especially, I feel it can help alleviate what some may call its "quirks" and make it a bit more palatable to those who'd previously dismissed it. Obviously, though, if it doesn't, to each their own, but there's no harm in trying. :)

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #26,068 of 40,559
Hey, everyone. After some terribly unfortunate delays, my First Look at the Odin is finally live on TheHeadphoneList.com! Hopefully, it'll add at least a bit more insight to the plethora already shared on this very thread, along with a few more faceplate pics to add to the pile too. :D As always, I hope y'all enjoy, and the full review will come hopefully sooner than later. Cheers. :)

P.S. I don't go in-depth on the Odin's much-discussed upper-midrange peak in the teaser, as it's something I'd like to delve further into on the full review. But, over the course of writing it, I have discovered that insertion depth affects how it sits in the mix quite a lot; more than most. As someone who typically sits universals a tad further out to tone down the upper-mids, I was surprised to find doing so on the Odin had the opposite effect. Inserting it deeper actually helped fill out the bottom and bring the high-mids better in-line. It also made the slight treble colouration I discussed a few weeks ago even less noticeable, which was great to hear. As always, with universals, it's important to mess around with tips and depths; if anything, just to know what the in-ear you have is capable of. But, with the Odin, especially, I feel it can help alleviate what some may call its "quirks" and make it a bit more palatable to those who'd previously dismissed it. Obviously, though, if it doesn't, to each their own, but there's no harm in trying. :)

So which tips do you think best alleviate that upper-midrange peak? Also, compared to Elysium, which one do you think is more prone to sibilance?

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #26,069 of 40,559
So which tips do you think best alleviate that upper-midrange peak? Also, compared to Elysium, which one do you think is more prone to sibilance?

I’m personally using JVC Spiral Dots (the ++ version) right now. Its wide bore opens up the bass and helps it balance against the upper registers. Whereas, with the Final tips, I felt the upper-mids and treble almost had a bigger note size relative to the lows. AZLA’s Sedna tips are a great alternative, but I prefer wearing the JVCs, because I find the Sedna’s material a tad abrasive at times; not the best for deep inserts.

Between the Odin and ELYSIUM, I’d actually say they’re equally prone to sibilance, which is to say they both aren’t (almost) at all. Because the relationship between the ELYSIUM’s mids and treble is different than the Odin’s, it’ll have an overall crisper, edgier transient at all times. But, in terms of how easy they are to trigger, it’s more-or-less the same. Besides, even when they do peak, it’ll manifest itself as no more than a bit of sizzle. It doesn’t ever get to that clipping-like sound, because they have fairly equal presences at 6kHz.

Nov 22, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #26,070 of 40,559

Ok, I'm sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back