Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 31, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #24,586 of 40,559
get back on odin/hero impressions , guys :xf_cool:
graph (6).png

You mean like so?

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #24,587 of 40,559
Here is something about the Odin... the guy who designed it said it needed to be broken in a bit to sound its best. Everyone can go into debate about it but I’ll trust the creator who possesses more direct knowledge about in ear devices than anyone here currently.
My last comment on this, I promise. My point is not whether or not it should be done, but that either way it should have been done at the factory. That was my takeaway from @reeltime's earlier comment that I agreed with and expanded on. That is all. Moving on...

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #24,588 of 40,559
Why not someone do this,
1. out of the box, select the tracks to listen and record clear notes on the sound aspect. Give it 30 mins.
2. let the iem be played continuously for 50 hours or 100 hours.
3. pick them up and listen again on same tracks. record notes.
4. repeat 1 to 3, a few rounds.

(endure the urge to listening at stage 2)

compare notes across each milestone. See if there are changes in impression, if yes, burn in exist. if not, burn in doesn't exist.

This way, brain burn in, getting used to sound, etc etc are taken out of the equation.

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #24,589 of 40,559
You mean like so?

here is my thing with graphs - and why i find them a waste of time

say someone comes to you and tells you i have this woman who has 92-60-88 figure

can you tell from that if she is hot or not ? nope, you need to see her and (even better) spend some time with her

so when i said impressions , i mean , putting them in your ears and describing what you hear

cheers

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #24,590 of 40,559
I'm interested in burn-in only insofar as the brightness of the Odin settles. But adding the tube pre to the chain has addressed the brightness issue, to my ears, so I've more or less moved past this concern.

I can say from my experience so far-- the SP1000 direct into the Odin and the SP1000 through a Chord Hugo 2 produces an overly bright experience that is fatiguing and fairly unpleasant over time. There is too much detail-- sort of like when you go onto the floor of Best Buy and look at their best TV-- it has the sharpness and contrast turned up all the way to create an image that really pops and grabs your attention-- but you wouldn't think of running it with these settings in your living room-- it's too much of everything all at once.

Changing the source to my computer through a Hugo TT and using the McIntosh C2600 with a tube pre stage for amplification removed the brightness and smoothed out the treble to a beautifully detailed sound without the excess treble that left my ears ringing. YMMV.

Many headphones are source dependent, and some pairings bring out good and bad (sometimes both at once!).

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #24,591 of 40,559

say someone comes to you and tells you i have this woman who has 92-60-88 figure

can you tell from that if she is hot or not ? nope, you need to see her and (even better) spend some time with her

so when i said impressions , i mean , putting them in your ears and describing what you hear

cheers

Best analogy. Nice.

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #24,592 of 40,559

cheers

Those measurements must definitely be centimeters. :open_mouth:

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #24,593 of 40,559
I’ve not been listening to my Odin much since it is going through the final 100 hour leg of burn-in, and the only thing I’m hoping for is the middle range upward tilt to settle, the brightness in this area on some recordings is borderline too much.

In my experience, burn-in is not a linear process but an ebb and flow culminating in a final settling of the sound. Fingers crossed. 🤞

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #24,594 of 40,559
My last comment on this, I promise. My point is not whether or not it should be done, but that either way it should have been done at the factory. That was my takeaway from @reeltime's earlier comment that I agreed with and expanded on. That is all. Moving on...
I wasn’t commenting on your point. That’s why I didn’t quote any of your posts. I was saying regardless of what any self proclaimed expert thinks, I’ll take the word from the man himself.

Regarding a pre burn in process, I’d rather not pay extra for a manufacturer to do that. It may sound like a simple concept but I’d assume there are logistical nightmares no one would think of.

Aug 31, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #24,596 of 40,559
graph (6).png
You mean like so?
I don't recall who it was, but whoever said that crin was full of crap when he said that the Hero was aggressive and treble-forward: lol

cheers
Presuming that we ignore the casual old-guy sexism of this comment: this is—again—missing the point. You can't (generally) determine whether something is good or bad just from measurements, but you can use these measurements to make comparisons between things, and to say that something may or may not be right for you. of course, it's better to try things yourself, but not everybody has the ability to buy thousands of dollars (individually) of cables, daps, and IEMs, and not everybody can take off of work and go to big conventions where they can demo everything in person. in lieu of that—particularly if you actually understand how to read them—graphs can be an extremely useful way of narrowing down choices to thinks you don't like, would definitely like, and could possibly like.

To (sigh) extend your crude metaphor: imagine that you absolutely love larger hips; you just can't do without them. If someone says, "do you think you would be physically attracted to someone with a 70cm hip measurement?", you could have a pretty good answer ready for them.

there's far too much conflation of "i don't understand graphs" and "i don't understand what people who read graphs are talking about" with "graphs are a waste of time and don't tell you anything." it's genuinely very grating.

Aug 31, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #24,598 of 40,559
That graph of the Hero, although not telling all, doesn't appear aggressive to me. As a matter of fact, I listen to them quite often and don't have any issues. I'm beginning to wonder how loud people are listening to IEM's.
graph.png

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #24,599 of 40,559
Wow so much discussions on burn in and FR.. in my humble opinion we all hear things differently and our Milage varies. The thing is, regardless of which side of the fence we are on, I dun think anyone needs to force their opinions on other parties and I’ll dare say there are no golden rules, and standards that can be applied here to gauge what is right of wrong All things are relative at best. We give our honest impressions and opinions the way we hear it and the audience will just have to make their own judgement. I’m sure not everyone will love the Odin or Hero and you will know those who dun if u see it popping up in the For Sale section. For me I’m really enjoying my top 3 now, Odin, Elysium and 18S. Can’t say I need anything more at this point of time. And I found out yesterday that the DX220 with Amp1 mk2 is great for both Odin and Elysium with their stick cables!

Aug 31, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #24,600 of 40,559
Wow so much discussions on burn in and FR.. in my humble opinion we all hear things differently and our Milage varies. The thing is, regardless of which side of the fence we are on, I dun think anyone needs to force their opinions on other parties and I’ll dare say there are no golden rules, and standards that can be applied here to gauge what is right of wrong All things are relative at best. We give our honest impressions and opinions the way we hear it and the audience will just have to make their own judgement. I’m sure not everyone will love the Odin or Hero and you will know those who dun if u see it popping up in the For Sale section. For me I’m really enjoying my top 3 now, Odin, Elysium and 18S. Can’t say I need anything more at this point of time. And I found out yesterday that the DX220 with Amp1 mk2 is great for both Odin and Elysium with their stick cables!
Yea, I'd say between those 3 you should be more than set!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back