Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 21, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #23,986 of 40,559
@Andrew DiMarcangelo is 110% impossible to replicate.. we must protect him at all costs.

Enjoy those Hero’s as I imagine you’ll be thoroughly surprised by the enjoyment they provide.
Thanks!
I'll post some more thorough impressions once I've had the chance to listen to them...but right out of the box, I'm impressed with their balance - bass doesn't seem to hit as deeply or viscerally as either the Nio (w/m20) or Solaris 2020, but there's zero bleed into the mids (which I get with the Neo), and the treble is bright, very well articulated, clear, and crisp. Stage is very wide and enveloping.
I'll sell my Nio's (I was leaning that way anyway), and prob keep my Solaris 2020's as a "balanced hybrid" alternative.

edit:
1) pretty amazing for $1349!
2) since I tend to prefer bassier/warmer tonalities, this will be a perfect match to the LX SE. the bass on the Hero is very present - not overwhelming at all, and very well controlled (not sure if burn-in will change this)

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #23,987 of 40,559
How many FE versions are now going to be made? Although I fully understand the overwhelming response, my blind purchase was somewhat predicated on only 200 Odin versions being made.
While I don’t think the founders edition really offer anything substantial... the fact more are being sent out totally ruins the whole point of it being 1 of 200 to begin with.

hey guys , you can always cancel (or sell) your special edition then , if this takes away the ' i feel special' vibe :)

there is always a way :xf_cool:

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #23,988 of 40,559
hey guys , you can always cancel (or sell) your special edition then , if this takes away the ' i feel special' vibe :)

It’s not about feeling special, it’s about the language used by EE in their announcement of the Odin justifying a full retail purchase. It doesn’t feel good, in my view.

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #23,989 of 40,559
@Andrew DiMarcangelo is 110% impossible to replicate.. we must protect him at all costs.

Enjoy those Hero’s as I imagine you’ll be thoroughly surprised by the enjoyment they provide.

lol good grief, you guys. You’re too kind. Been a real treat getting to know both of you!

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Aug 21, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #23,990 of 40,559

I think you’re missing the point. 1 of 200 means 1 of 200, not 300, not 400. If vision Ears did this with their limited edition erlkonig I’d feel the same way.

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #23,991 of 40,559
How many FE versions are now going to be made? Although I fully understand the overwhelming response, my blind purchase was somewhat predicated on only 200 Odin versions being made.
While I don’t think the founders edition really offer anything substantial... the fact more are being sent out totally ruins the whole point of it being 1 of 200 to begin with.

I totally understand where you're coming from. And honestly, I would have killed this strategy out of the gate if there were anything of real substance attached to the FE's other than our good feelings. However, we will not be adding so many as to cheapen anyone's experience, we think.

I hope it eases your concern to know that the units over the initial allotments will be demarked as such - 204/200 or 207/200. And while I feel your frustrations of blind buying in the hopes of snagging one of the initial 200-but-now-not-200, I feel more for the guys who also bought blind in anticipating of a FE unit, but 30 mins too late. We weren't prepared for this kind of reception, and that is all on us, but all we can do is try to move forward in the way that we think is fairest.

Dean’s signature on the shells is probably the most noteworthy addition to the limited serial number count. Also, what happens if the further release of FE versions spurs on even more sales? More FE’s being made? I’m not sure I’m happy about this ...

No sir, the FE's are officially done as of orders received by 8/20.

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #23,992 of 40,559
I think you’re missing the point. 1 of 200 means 1 of 200, not 300, not 400. If vision Ears did this with their limited edition erlkonig I’d feel the same way.

Campfire also did this with their Solaris SE... that is a little bit of a different situation however as the SE’s tuning and components are supposed to be different to the regular version. This left a salty taste in my mouth, what EE has done however doesn’t bother me too much as it’s pretty much a regular unit with a signature on.

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #23,993 of 40,559
It’s not about feeling special, it’s about the language used by EE in their announcement of the Odin justifying a full retail purchase. It doesn’t feel good, in my view.

oh i am getting your points fine , it's all about me me me

well tough luck gents , looks like EE prefers more people being happy than a few elitist ones

but like i said before, there is always a way - just cancel and let the rest of the people who get it feel happy

enjoy your day , gents

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #23,994 of 40,559
Lol. I see your point. But I do not think they will ever have any special value anyway. The value is to you as the early adopter. From that perspective it is nice that Empire is doing it.

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #23,995 of 40,559
I hope it eases your concern to know that the units over the initial allotments will be demarked as such - 204/200 or 207/200.
I think this is a great approach.
Ultimately, I'm psyched for EE and their dealer partners that demand exceeded initial supply to warrant this "over allotment"; I think the numbering scheme @JoshWatkins and team landed on is a nice compromise

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #23,996 of 40,559

well tough luck gents , looks like EE prefers more people being happy than a few elitist ones

but like i said before, there is always a way - just cancel and let the rest of the people who get it feel happy

enjoy your day , gents

Mighty presumptive of you.

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #23,997 of 40,559

enjoy your day , gents

What an absolutely stupid remark.

“Few elitist” lol.. they sold 200 $3400 IEMs.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #23,999 of 40,559
Like I said, it’s not THAT big of a deal. It’s more the principle. 1 of 200 means just that.. nothing else.

As a means to market a new model, it comes across as duplicitous. That’s not how I do business. I can always wait for the supply to catch up and buy a regular Odin during the holiday specials, or even a barely used version in the classifieds as I’m sure will happen.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #24,000 of 40,559
I see this as an effort to incorporate all the early adopters who may initially have had trouble funding these or whatever the case may be. As an early adopter who drove 1300 miles, I don’t feel it’s dismissive but we’re all different. Hopefully no one freaked out and cancelled orders.

It could be worse.. you could be eagerly awaiting your “special edition” only to find its abalone or special faceplate is laminated fragments unlike advertised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back