Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 6, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #22,936 of 40,541
may Be HK is small city but big sales qty?
Odin is on stock tmr, i think its the first stock in the world.
This city is crazy on portable gears.
That's so unfair, I'd kill to be able to get an Odin tomorrow :D

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #22,937 of 40,541
Wyville, on a post many pages back I was mentioning reviewers I enjoy reading...I forgot to put your name in there. Sorry, but I love to read your stuff too. A lot if you were to put a gun to my head (please don't).

As for the faceplate situation, I think EE has done as good or better as anyone in getting cool and unique plates. They invest heavily in special printers and everything else to give us what we want. They don't do a major uncharge either (of course it's passed along as cost of the business). They have some unique in the industry processes.

In the past, I believe Noble used a material (man made marble type or something like that) that they cut the shells out of. Again, very cool stuff.

I don't see the Hero (non SE version) and the Noble being that much alike. JMHO (I own both Noble and EE

Aug 6, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #22,938 of 40,541
Wyville, on a post many pages back I was mentioning reviewers I enjoy reading...I forgot to put your name in there. Sorry, but I love to read your stuff too. A lot if you were to put a gun to my head (please don't).

As for the faceplate situation, I think EE has done as good or better as anyone in getting cool and unique plates. They invest heavily in special printers and everything else to give us what we want. They don't do a major uncharge either (of course it's passed along as cost of the business). They have some unique in the industry processes.

In the past, I believe Noble used a material (man made marble type or something like that) that they cut the shells out of. Again, very cool stuff.

I don't see the Hero (non SE version) and the Noble being that much alike. JMHO (I own both Noble and EE
Hey Pete, great to see you around my friend! Hope you are doing well. ...and thanks for the compliment!

Aug 6, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #22,940 of 40,541
How come HK always gets the SE version while the rest of the world is stuck with OG? :smile:

High population density in a relatively small area where a lot of the terrain is quite mountainous. In addtion is the premium at which personal space costs.

The average joe is not gonna be rocking a 2ch setup in HK. Plus there's also the factor of not having much choice in what to get as a result of such small living space and being able to spend on luxuries we might find odd generally.

Also for some odd reason they really like SG cable makers and US oems.

asian tends to buy aggressively and like to chase new items
Yup, it's jewellery for your ears. Waiting for shells made of jade and garunteed good Feng Shui.

may Be HK is small city but big sales qty?
Odin is on stock tmr, i think its the first stock in the world.
This city is crazy on portable gears.
HK is a paradise for Portafi. My last visit to the Wanchai Computer Centre (about 2 years ago) was like cables paradise for me. Suprised how it went from mostly computer stuff to headphones compared to previous visits.

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #22,941 of 40,541
HK is a paradise for Portafi. My last visit to the Wanchai Computer Centre
Absolutely insane for audio gear, that place. And loads of shops in Mong Kok too. Loved it

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #22,943 of 40,541
can someone share in what way Odin is special?

or rather is there any particular characteristic which stands out enough to make it special/flagship status
My suggestion would be to review the launch video w/Jude (search for it - it's probably on the head-fi home page, to be honest), and read the couple of reviews that have been published (headfonia and twister6). you could also go to EE's website and read the description of what makes it new/different than prior flagships (LX and Wraith).
Probably easier than having someone summarize.

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #22,945 of 40,541
My suggestion would be to review the launch video w/Jude (search for it - it's probably on the head-fi home page, to be honest), and read the couple of reviews that have been published (headfonia and twister6). you could also go to EE's website and read the description of what makes it new/different than prior flagships (LX and Wraith).
Probably easier than having someone summarize.

actually, i asked to see who would concur that it had a unique characteristic

unfortunately there are quite several who do concur; much in contrast to many including EE dealer(s) who don't deny the absence of a defining trait

hope to have my faith restored next year

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #22,946 of 40,541
actually, i asked to see who would concur that it had a unique characteristic

unfortunately there are quite several who do concur; much in contrast to many including EE dealer(s) who don't deny the absence of a defining trait

hope to have my faith restored next year
I see.
My take from what I've read is that the uniqueness comes in the sum of the parts - i.e., the blending together of the three different driver types + the crossover, etc., result in a sound signature that is uniquely balanced and fine-tuned. i.e., the bass doesn't stand out like it does with the LX, but it's more how everything works together to provide a "flagship-worthy" characteristic. for example, @twister6 described it has having the best characteristics of the LX, the Zeus, and the Wraith (as I'm sure you saw).
So, perhaps it is by design that it doesn't have a single unique characteristic....just my two cents based on what I've read.

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #22,947 of 40,541
Sorry but I don't understand what you mean by "unique characteristics." It's a TOTL iem with a specific sound signature, and like any other TOTL iem it will either make you happy or it won't. There are two reviews and a video speaking about it. It you mean what ONE thing is special, that's not what is happening here. It is balanced.

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #22,948 of 40,541
To add to what @gnahra said, I think the absolute best IEMs don’t have a defining characteristic

The A18S has spectacular treble, but they also have really good mids, lows, amazing detail, great separation, a massive stage etc etc

The Thummim has one of the largest stages I’ve heard, but they also have some of the best mids and treble I’ve experienced

The Erl has some of the best separation I’ve heard, but they also excel at just about anything you can think of

Sometimes the absence of a defining characteristic is what makes for an amazing TOTL IEM, while the one price range I really associate with defining characteristics is the sub-1000, where most IEMs tend to be really good at one thing and terrible at everything else

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #22,949 of 40,541
I see.
My take from what I've read is that the uniqueness comes in the sum of the parts - i.e., the blending together of the three different driver types + the crossover, etc., result in a sound signature that is uniquely balanced and fine-tuned. i.e., the bass doesn't stand out like it does with the LX, but it's more how everything works together to provide a "flagship-worthy" characteristic. for example, @twister6 described it has having the best characteristics of the LX, the Zeus, and the Wraith (as I'm sure you saw).
So, perhaps it is by design that it doesn't have a single unique characteristic....just my two cents based on what I've read.

yes, in my view that is a good description!

had mixed feelings and rather was left confused after demoting the entire line up

in a way this would appear to be intended as a jack of all trades master of all, but is it then a master of all or a highly skilled jack of all trades?

compared to traditional flagships where one particular trait stands out more so than the rest; so much so that it is recognised for being so adept in said capability

nevertheless, Odin is a no brain recc for those who want an easy listen without having to fuss over the hassle of pairings and synergy!

Aug 6, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #22,950 of 40,541
To add to what @gnahra said, I think the absolute best IEMs don’t have a defining characteristic

The A18S has spectacular treble, but they also have really good mids, lows, amazing detail, great separation, a massive stage etc etc

The Thummim has one of the largest stages I’ve heard, but they also have some of the best mids and treble I’ve experienced

The Erl has some of the best separation I’ve heard, but they also excel at just about anything you can think of

Sometimes the absence of a defining characteristic is what makes for an amazing TOTL IEM, while the one price range I really associate with defining characteristics is the sub-1000, where most IEMs tend to be really good at one thing and terrible at everything else

Just to double check, in other words what you mean is that Odin’s “specialty” here is its ability to be good at all aspects?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back