Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 4, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #22,831 of 40,538
Guys this is not how this business works.

Most of the price of cables is the conductor, plugs, design, shop and the service. Especially if cables are made only by hand, then the service makes most of the price - like 70-90%.

Then if you want to have distribution in this business, you have to go from 30 to 50% off for the distributor and individual dealers. Otherwise it will be not profitable for them to open shop and hire people.

In the US these guys also have a profit federal and state taxes somewhere around 30% if I’m not mistaken. In Europe these taxes vary by the country but for example in Poland we have from 9 to 19% income tax in a company and 23% VAT which may total up to around 34% of the MSRP.

Once you understand that your device or cable is not made up only of the material cost, but there is also hiring people involved, opening the building, designing the product (maybe even for several years before the first sale), and other costs involved, then you understand that only from 5 to 25% of your product price can be made of the material cost.

If not then the company will probably go bankrupt or will never scale to be bigger than a one man operation.
These days you have to be a manufacturer to have a basic understanding of costs...

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #22,832 of 40,538
can we pls keep the thread on topic about EE iems and the beastly reveal yesterday? the other topics are important, but it would be cool if we could leave them to the experts :wink:

yesterday’s reveal was awesome, legimitatrly super interested in Hero impressions, especially at their price point, if it ends up being better than IER Z1R or something then we got smthing srsly special

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #22,833 of 40,538
can we pls keep the thread on topic about EE iems and the beastly reveal yesterday? the other topics are important, but it would be cool if we could leave them to the experts :wink:

yesterday’s reveal was awesome, legimitatrly super interested in Hero impressions, especially at their price point, if it ends up being better than IER Z1R or something then we got smthing srsly special
This thread is all about EE, the mk2 are also EE, why can't we talk about it, everyone here are experts except you :smiling_imp:

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #22,834 of 40,538
Looks like we have reached new heights with the latest technology in the IEMs those days.
Is it possible that most advanced IEMs sound the same or better as the TOTL headphones?
Impressive, isn't it? Who would have thought back in the days of Westone UM2 , we will see this huge leap.

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #22,835 of 40,538
To me headphones, if done correctly have large advantages of scale that I’ve never heard in an IEM. It’s one of those things where the sound waves are able to breath a bit. IEMs have their own advantages. I personally am learning to enjoy both, but I’m still a 2 channel guy.

I’m impressed by what Dean is putting out. If you ever get to sit with him and listen, you realize he’s on a different level than most IRT voicing these things. Just amazing Stuff

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #22,838 of 40,538
Many might remember the movie honey I shrunk the kids back in the 90's within few years we will have the technology to shrink down headphones tech and put it in iem

That's the thing, though; the tech inside IEMs have always been shrunken-down headphone components. It truly is the size that makes the difference... that and the fact that IEMs are stuffed in our ears, rather than placed around them, but that's also because of the size allowing them to do so.

Aug 4, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #22,840 of 40,538
What I
That's the thing, though; the tech inside IEMs have always been shrunken-down headphone components. It truly is the size that makes the difference... that and the fact that IEMs are stuffed in our ears, rather than placed around them, but that's also because of the size allowing them to do so.
What I mean is the actual headphones components, ba and dd drivers is just a replica

Aug 4, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #22,844 of 40,538
Any idea when they will announce those? Got a small window to get some impressions done and thinking Bravado depending on the price...

Jack said a separate announcement in the fall, but probably is a month or so.

Aug 4, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #22,845 of 40,538
Valkyrie, EVR, ESR, Bravado... might be missing one
For what it's worth, these are the only four I've seen ECT post about, so I would guess this is the complete list (unless @Jack Vang has another "Hero" up his sleeve)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back