Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 4, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #22,801 of 40,526
Am I alone in saying that when I insert my legend x very slowly as to avoid the pops, I enjoy the sound much more when compared to inserting quickly?

Regardless of fast or slow insertion, I always enjoy it... Wait, are we still talking about driver flex or something else? :D

And on a more serious note, every review is just another reference data point, nothing is set in stone. And I honestly can't wait to hear more impressions and comparisons from people who will get a chance to hear Odin soon, to see how they align or differ from what I'm hearing with my review sample.

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #22,803 of 40,526
Keen eye! The Hero and MKII units have a customized version of the Ares II cable. The termination and wire is the same as Ares II whereas the y-split and 2-pin barrel is shared with the Maestro. We've stressed very heavily to Effect that the old barrel designs weren't cutting it for touring use and they suggested this design as it's overmolded and should be able to endure the rigors of pro use.

As for the subtle manipulation, while I can't speak on behalf of other manufacturers I can confidently say it's not true in our case. Our cost of the cable is accounted into the MSRP, not the MSRP of the cable itself. We'd love to throw in a basic cable if we didn't believe it didn't make a difference but we believe it does and we love working with like-minded bespoke manufacturers that are as passionate about their craft as much as we are. We often only have one chance to impress you, the auditioners, and we definitely want to give you all the best we possibly can.

While I know cables are a controversial subject on here there are elements of the FR that are enhanced enough for us to find a reason to include it. We wanted to give the best possible package out of the box we could. Anything outside of that is purely preference to the enhancements (aesthetically or sonically) you desire. I think once Odin and Hero are out in the wild many find what brilliant synergy these IEMs have with their included cables.

I think @twister6 and @WayneWoondirts can vouch for this as well :)

I loved your products, LX in particular. When I saw the announcement on Odin, I could say that I’m way more than excited to put them on. I need that refined bass! However when I saw that pwa cable, it turned me down to seriously reconsider.
I totally what you have expressed in the previous messages, all I can hope for is the maybe a change in the upcoming custom version, if there’s going to be one any time soon.
Empire Ears, a proud American TOTL earphone manufacturer, I was wondering maybe working with an American cable manufacturer such as Cardas, would do the trick at a fraction of the cost while retaining the highest sound quality that your company is aiming for? After all the 1960 2w is nothing more than a Cardas clear light cable with Mundorf solder on it, or was it a mixture of Mundorf with some mysterious “snake oil” on it that cost $1300? I don’t know.
All I know is that your product and your product alone is amazing! I believe people willing to pay for your product at premium price, we are buying a product with innovative design and great sound to enjoy from Empire Ears. IMHO, I believe most of us are either happy with the usual, “normal” stock cables, or plenty of exotic cables in our arsenals to choose from.

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #22,804 of 40,526
I loved your products, LX in particular. When I saw the announcement on Odin, I could say that I’m way more than excited to put them on. I need that refined bass! However when I saw that pwa cable, it turned me down to seriously reconsider.
I totally what you have expressed in the previous messages, all I can hope for is the maybe a change in the upcoming custom version, if there’s going to be one any time soon.
Empire Ears, a proud American TOTL earphone manufacturer, I was wondering maybe working with an American cable manufacturer such as Cardas, would do the trick at a fraction of the cost while retaining the highest sound quality that your company is aiming for? After all the 1960 2w is nothing more than a Cardas clear light cable with Mundorf solder on it, or was it a mixture of Mundorf with some mysterious “snake oil” on it that cost $1300? I don’t know.
All I know is that your product and your product alone is amazing! I believe people willing to pay for your product at premium price, we are buying a product with innovative design and great sound to enjoy from Empire Ears. IMHO, I believe most of us are either happy with the usual, “normal” stock cables, or plenty of exotic cables in our arsenals to choose from.
Uh, you do realize EA, which previously had supplied EE's iems with cables, is not a US company either?

And this is a politics-free zone. We argue over sound and music files and whether cables sound different. Not politics. Otherwise it would all go to hell.

That said, I have a PWAudio cable and it is great. Peter is a class act. I have an Eletech cable and Eric is a class act (as he was at EA).

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #22,805 of 40,526
I disagree. At these price levels, manufacturers should provide the premier cable. My thoughts are this, I doubt Empire would reduce the price by 1200.00. More then likely, it would be roughly the same price with a garbage stock cable.

PW and Effect Audio cables are great, but I do agree they are wildly over priced.

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #22,806 of 40,526
I disagree. At these price levels, manufacturers should provide the premier cable. My thoughts are this, I doubt Empire would reduce the price by 1200.00. More then likely, it would be roughly the same price with a garbage stock cable.

PW and Effect Audio cables are great, but I do agree they are wildly over priced.
Not just cables that are over priced, everything in this hobby is over priced, it just that we willing to pay for it

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #22,807 of 40,526
If Empire Ears paid $1300 for the cable and put that in the price of Odin, Odin would be only $2100 of that price. Legend X, which is below it is $2300 and probably $2100 without cable. I am sure EE got a better price for the cables, because Odin definitely costs more to build than Legend X.

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #22,808 of 40,526
Uh, you do realize EA, which previously had supplied EE's iems with cables, is not a US company either?

And this is a politics-free zone. We argue over sound and music files and whether cables sound different. Not politics. Otherwise it would all go to hell.

That said, I have a PWAudio cable and it is great. Peter is a class act. I have an Eletech cable and Eric is a class act (as he was at EA).

In which part did I express any sort of political views? I merely expressed my opinion on the inclusion of an overly priced cables which originated from a company called Cardas, situated in America. Considering transportation cost, import cost as well as the “premium” cost of the cable, it is only wise to consider a cost-efficient alternative, versus branded boutique cables that is renowned for based on marketing hype phenomenon.
Btw the ea cable came with other we models is an entry model, with good enough quality, does what it’s intended to, and do not have a price label of a kidney. That again, is in my own opinion, and has nothing to do with politics at all. So you can stop taking the moral high ground and throw dirt on others!
Peace out

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #22,809 of 40,526

Audio jewelry for us crazy audiophiles!

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #22,810 of 40,526
If Empire Ears paid $1300 for the cable and put that in the price of Odin, Odin would be only $2100 of that price. Legend X, which is below it is $2300 and probably $2100 without cable. I am sure EE got a better price for the cables, because Odin definitely costs more to build than Legend X.
I would be surprised if they pay much more than 100$ per cable 😅

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #22,811 of 40,526
I have a question, for those that are buying one of the 200 Founders’ Edition, how is EE going to handle the serial number distribution?

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #22,812 of 40,526
The only reason cardas clear or clear light cables are so expensive is because cardas sells a minimum of 1000m of wire.

For a 1.25m cable you need around 5m of wire (as it’s not an actual 2 wire but instead each insulation encapsulates 2 wires) so PW will use up the first roll on the founder’s edition alone

EE are getting the 1960s at a fraction of the fraction of the cost which is why the Odin will cost practically the same no matter what cable you attach to it, but they’re nice enough to go through the hassle of providing you with a TOTL wire instead of having spend a grand after already buying what is a very expensive IEM

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #22,813 of 40,526
The only reason cardas clear or clear light cables are so expensive is because cardas sells a minimum of 1000m of wire.

For a 1.25m cable you need around 5m of wire (as it’s not an actual 2 wire but instead each insulation encapsulates 2 wires) so PW will use up the first roll on the founder’s edition alone

EE are getting the 1960s at a fraction of the fraction of the cost which is why the Odin will cost practically the same no matter what cable you attach to it, but they’re nice enough to go through the hassle of providing you with a TOTL wire instead of having spend a grand after already buying what is a very expensive IEM

That is somewhat true and I agree to that. Probably a good idea to sell off the cable and get a pair of Hero with a little extra.

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #22,814 of 40,526

We've contacted just about every popular boutique American cable manufacturer and it boiled down to 2 things:

1. They couldn't produce at the volume we were seeking. You have to be mindful that a lot of these operations run on a very small scale. We've also worked with 2 US cable manufacturers in the past and it was a nightmare with extensive lead times.

2. Cost. Their pricing is often structured for direct to consumer sales which means that the manufacturers don't get a great cut leading us to pay nearly the same prices you do.

Should the opportunity arise where we could work with another US manufacturer i'd love to but it's a battle between performance, cost and manufacturing.

I would be surprised if they pay much more than 100$ per cable 😅

Definitely much more than $100. As mentioned in an earlier post we factor in the price of our cable cost to the MSRP not the MSRP of the cable.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #22,815 of 40,526
That is somewhat true and I agree to that. Probably a good idea to sell off the cable and get a pair of Hero with a little extra.
I’m currently more interested in their Mk2 release. The Hero was described as a mini Odin so owning both might end up being an overkill

as to Odin and the whole stock cable discussion, I’ll definitely be spending a while in the intended configuration before trying out some other stuff on it. As @Jack Vang showed us yesterday they spent an insane amount of cash and time experimenting with different cables and that should be honored

Users who are viewing this thread

Back