Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 3, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #22,667 of 40,559
How much passive noise isolation does one lose with the vent holes required with the W9+ drivers?

Aug 3, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #22,668 of 40,559
Nobody would do that because they get the cable at a fraction of the cost. If they sell it to you without one that would end up being like a 10% discount. You might as well sell the cable on HF, I bought a few Plato’s off thummim purchasers who weren’t interested in the cable
Of course not, but a man can dream no?

Not really keen on this path of "We used an aftermarket cable that retails for $xxxx" as a selling point of kilobucks.

I complain about the stock spcs like no tomorrow, but those premium cables being used ends up feeling like a big part of the price tag (even though it doesn't).

Comes across as some subtle manipulation and really speaking to the pricing issues in both iems and the cable market. I'd rather have a decent entry level cable over a stock spc at a slightly lower price, cables I have plenty at way below the inflated prices.

The cables on the MKII and Hero look suspiciously like the Vogue Maestro, and that would be satisfactory for me. But this is purely my subjective take.

Aug 3, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #22,669 of 40,559

Not really keen on this path of "We used an aftermarket cable that retails for $xxxx" as a selling point of kilobucks.

I complain about the stock spcs like no tomorrow, but those premium cables being used ends up feeling like a big part of the price tag (even though it doesn't).

Comes across as some subtle manipulation and really speaking to the pricing issues in both iems and the cable market. I'd rather have a decent entry level cable over a stock spc at a slightly lower price, cables I have plenty at way below the inflated prices.

The cables on the MKII and Hero look suspiciously like the Vogue Maestro, and that would be satisfactory for me. But this is purely my subjective take.
I see your point, but I think consumers end up getting a good deal when cables like the 1960s are stock. While it is indeed an excuse, they’d probably release that IEM at the exact same price point regardless of what cable it comes with. Just look at 64’s stock cables while being in the exact same price range

Aug 3, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #22,670 of 40,559
It is indeed unfortunate but last year less than 5% of our IEMs were ordered with 4.4. Stocking these boutique cables require a significant investment upfront with a long lead time so maybe if there's enough demand we will look into it.
That's pretty low, and I was one of those that ordered a Valk in 4.4 too.

Makes sense from a business perspective. Its easier to make small form factor adapters from 2.5 as well. If only it wasn't so prone to breakage because of its design.

Aug 3, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #22,671 of 40,559
Bingo. We really wanted to showcase even more extension, depth and overall resolution in the bass department and I believe we achieved this with the W9+. Jude noted that Odin had "bass extension for daysssss" :smile:

It is indeed unfortunate but last year less than 5% of our IEMs were ordered with 4.4. Stocking these boutique cables require a significant investment upfront with a long lead time so maybe if there's enough demand we will look into it.
@Jack Vang congrats on the launch
Would you mind expanding just a bit more on the bass (quality and quantity) of the LX vs the Odin?
@twister6 any chance your review of the Odin will include an LX comparison?

Thanks much

Aug 3, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #22,672 of 40,559
I see your point, but I think consumers end up getting a good deal when cables like the 1960s are stock. While it is indeed an excuse, they’d probably release that IEM at the exact same price point regardless of what cable it comes with. Just look at 64’s stock cables while being in the exact same price range
You're right, regardless of what the cable is, the cost is negligible what to the consumer's pays. Consumer feels like they're getting a deal, the manufacturer gets the price bracket they're aiming for.

People generally don't think too much into the area of "is this really worth the price tag" the way I do. I'm mostly in a good place with ToTLs, and its just getting the chance to try stuff than to acquire in that range.

If the Hero and MKIIs didn't exist, I might actually be miffed. But like 64 trickling down TIA and LID, EE is doing that with the W9+ and Estats and in the range that I'm looking at now too (IE something say for yardwork or going out for a hike rather than bringing out my u12t all the time). So I'm happy with this release overall. I've waxed about my love for the Olympus line, the MKIIs might just sell me into the EP and X series!

Aug 3, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #22,674 of 40,559
You're right, regardless of what the cable is, the cost is negligible what to the consumer's pays. Consumer feels like they're getting a deal, the manufacturer gets the price bracket they're aiming for.

People generally don't think too much into the area of "is this really worth the price tag" the way I do. I'm mostly in a good place with ToTLs, and its just getting the chance to try stuff than to acquire in that range.

If the Hero and MKIIs didn't exist, I might actually be miffed. But like 64 trickling down TIA and LID, EE is doing that with the W9+ and Estats and in the range that I'm looking at now too (IE something say for yardwork or going out for a hike rather than bringing out my u12t all the time). So I'm happy with this release overall. I've waxed about my love for the Olympus line, the MKIIs might just sell me into the EP and X series!
Have there been any details released about the MKIIs? Obviously have seen a bunch of posts here about MKII variants, but I haven't seen anything official yet - have I missed it?

Aug 3, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #22,675 of 40,559
Have there been any details released about the MKIIs? Obviously have seen a bunch of posts here about MKII variants, but I haven't seen anything official yet - have I missed it?
Don't think Jack has said anything yet. The only concrete details is the one that @royalsuen posted. I didn't see driver counts for the Bravado and Valkyrie. Only EVR and ESR.

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #22,676 of 40,559
Bingo. We really wanted to showcase even more extension, depth and overall resolution in the bass department and I believe we achieved this with the W9+. Jude noted that Odin had "bass extension for daysssss" :smile:

So the other 95% bought 2.5mm? That would be interesting. But also I would venture to say that middle to end of last year and this year has shown a great increase of DAPs and other gear turning to 4.4mm so maybe those percentages will change.

What about the adapters then, what adapters for 4.4mm will be available for purchase and at what pricing? Is there any info on that yet Jack?

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #22,677 of 40,559
Users: 115, Guests: 71

this thread is ON FIRE

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #22,678 of 40,559
So the other 95% bought 2.5mm? That would be interesting. But also I would venture to say that middle to end of last year and this year has shown a great increase of DAPs and other gear turning to 4.4mm so maybe those percentages will change.

What about the adapters then, what adapters for 4.4mm will be available for purchase and at what pricing? Is there any info on that yet Jack?
Well... there's also 3.5mm...

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #22,680 of 40,559

Keen eye! The Hero and MKII units have a customized version of the Ares II cable. The termination and wire is the same as Ares II whereas the y-split and 2-pin barrel is shared with the Maestro. We've stressed very heavily to Effect that the old barrel designs weren't cutting it for touring use and they suggested this design as it's overmolded and should be able to endure the rigors of pro use.

As for the subtle manipulation, while I can't speak on behalf of other manufacturers I can confidently say it's not true in our case. Our cost of the cable is accounted into the MSRP, not the MSRP of the cable itself. We'd love to throw in a basic cable if we didn't believe it didn't make a difference but we believe it does and we love working with like-minded bespoke manufacturers that are as passionate about their craft as much as we are. We often only have one chance to impress you, the auditioners, and we definitely want to give you all the best we possibly can.

While I know cables are a controversial subject on here there are elements of the FR that are enhanced enough for us to find a reason to include it. We wanted to give the best possible package out of the box we could. Anything outside of that is purely preference to the enhancements (aesthetically or sonically) you desire. I think once Odin and Hero are out in the wild many find what brilliant synergy these IEMs have with their included cables.

I think @twister6 and @WayneWoondirts can vouch for this as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back