Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 29, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #21,751 of 40,559
I have posted here many times requesting that everyone needs to post source, cable, iem or headphones, types of music and files or streaming when asking questions or making statements. Signature is a great place to AT LEAST put in source, cable and phones. Otherwise, someone says such and such sounds tinny and when you drill down they are listening to streaming on an iPhone or some such.

agreed, listening level too is huge for me

mood affect sound too (happy, distraught, or salty)

Jun 30, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #21,753 of 40,559
Yeh i have few mornings where my LX bass actually sounded balanced lol. But only until i put them back on later in a day :dt880smile:
In brain equaliser seems to be actively adjusted all day. Depending on weather, rest level, mood etc.

Jun 30, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #21,754 of 40,559
People think that if they pay over 3 k they will get a top tier iem. That might be the case some time but not all the time. The 3.5k Wraith basically gets outperformed by 1k iems.
Personally im not going past 2k, thats my hard limit I wouldnt be able to justify going past the 3k range and I think people that pay that much is ruining the game for all of us.

Jun 30, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #21,755 of 40,559
People think that if they pay over 3 k they will get a top tier iem. That might be the case some time but not all the time. The 3.5k Wraith basically gets outperformed by 1k iems.
Personally im not going past 2k, thats my hard limit I wouldnt be able to justify going past the 3k range and I think people that pay that much is ruining the game for all of us.
That is just the case for all price brackets. Not just suddenly for 3k vs 2k.
Another thing to consider is. Certain 1k iem can be crapped over by my $150 as far aa i am concerend. But for you that same 1k iem might be better than the 3k one you dont like.
Preferences, preferences

Just curious. How many 3k+ iems did you try to come to that conclusion?

Jun 30, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #21,756 of 40,559

$2k is my limit too. My Tia Trio and Legend X were bought during a sale for less than $2k. My A12t was also bought during a sale. The others were also bought during sales, but they are less than $2 normally.

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #21,757 of 40,559
"Outperformed " is subjective. It means nothing other than the sound signature, to you, with your preconceptions and likings and equipment, pleases you or it doesn't.

With anything, to a degree you get what you pay for. If you don't want to pay for a TOTL IEM, don't. No one is forcing you to. No one even cares if you do. I didn't buy a Wraith because I love my Zeus and I read the reviews about its sound sig. I did buy a Phantom and couldn't get myself to like it and sold it. Tried an LX and didn't like it. Doesn't mean my Zeus "outperforms" them, it just means they weren't to my liking. Others here swear by them. My Zeus pleases me more than my $1K UERM, but that is a matter of sound signature/tuning.

But outperformed? Wraith to a $1k? We could talk about specs but it really comes down to synergy and preferences. And I too am curious about what you have actually heard and what you have read about.

Jun 30, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #21,758 of 40,559
"Outperformed " is subjective. It means nothing other than the sound signature, to you, with your preconceptions and likings and equipment, pleases you or it doesn't.

With anything, to a degree you get what you pay for. If you don't want to pay for a TOTL IEM, don't. No one is forcing you to. No one even cares if you do. I didn't buy a Wraith because I love my Zeus and I read the reviews about its sound sig. I did buy a Phantom and couldn't get myself to like it and sold it. Tried an LX and didn't like it. Doesn't mean my Zeus "outperforms" them, it just means they weren't to my liking. Others here swear by them. My Zeus pleases me more than my $1K UERM, but that is a matter of sound signature/tuning.

But outperformed? Wraith to a $1k? We could talk about specs but it really comes down to synergy and preferences. And I too am curious about what you have actually heard and what you have read about.

We all want the $1K thing to outclass the $3K thing. But we also want pet miniature giraffes and gold toilets, but it's just not in the cards man.....

Jun 30, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #21,759 of 40,559
Five or six years ago, $1k WAS the TOTL. Then came the Layla and oh the complaining. Then the march to $2k and then $2.5k and now to >$3k. R&D costs money, new tech costs money, multi-drivers cost money, and here we are.

Of course, most of us have flat screen TV's now and I can recall when they cost $3-4k and most of us couldn't afford them. Then the prices came down and now you can get one for under five hundred bucks. Same with 4K TVs. DVD players came down from the stratosphere to next to nothing, although now they cost again because everyone is going to streaming (my wife's DVD in the garage died and I couldn't find a cheap one anywhere that was halfway decent).

And of course the fact that I can't afford a Ferrari doesn't mean I can't get a good car. Just because some rich guy can afford one doesn't ruin the game of cars for me. I just can't get the very best. But I CAN get the best portable audio, because the differential between really good and best isn't that much, where the differential between a Ferrari and my Acura is exponentially larger. Damn that rich guy!

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #21,760 of 40,559
Ad goes live tomorrow but the coupons are up and running! Shoot me a PM, email or text if you guys have any questions :)

104942245_2631874383731044_1722064905907190732_n.jpg

Jun 30, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #21,762 of 40,559
Thought about Valkyrie, but not sure with Nio, but I am good with what I have now.

Jun 30, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #21,763 of 40,559
When i saw Jack posting "ad goes live tomorrow..." I dashed down quickly to see if hes finally revealing something haha.
haha me too!!
@Jack Vang please stop making us wait for the Odin :)

Jun 30, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #21,764 of 40,559
Some days things sound great and then the next day they just sound good. :)
No truer words have been spoken. Some days nothing sounds good, strange but true.

Jun 30, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #21,765 of 40,559
Here we go. Jack is a master at getting everyone all excited and he's done it again. Rush to your computers, get out your credit cards, Buy! Buy! Buy!

Well done, Jack. :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back