Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 14, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #20,716 of 40,559
If you are in the market for a new tip check on the Symbio W. Amazing fit, comfort and isolation. I’m on the train and have near custom levels of isolation. Very good with the Nemeisis. I just ordered some more. Has anyone else tried these?

Feb 14, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #20,717 of 40,559
If you are in the market for a new tip check on the Symbio W. Amazing fit, comfort and isolation. I’m on the train and have near custom levels of isolation. Very good with the Nemeisis. I just ordered some more. Has anyone else tried these?

I tried them, but do not like them personally on my two universals.

Feb 14, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #20,718 of 40,559
I use the Symbio Peel. They keep the seal when laying down.

Feb 14, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #20,719 of 40,559

I've been recommending these for a long time! They are great tip, and the fact that they are wide bore adds something different too.
Having said that, I have pretty awkward ear canals, and found that after a 2-4 weeks of use, they would soften up and start to work their way out of my ears gradually, so I've been mainly using New Bee wide bore foam tips that I buy on Amazon. But I think Symbio sound better and if the fit works, they're definitely worth a try :)

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #20,720 of 40,559
Short of using duct tape and a hammer I can't keep non custom iems in my ear canal for longer than a few seconds so it's customs all the way for me.

BTW I have plussound poetic cables. (See my signature) I couldn't really tune into the nuance of them compared to the supplied Ares Ii but - hey! They are a nice blue colour!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #20,721 of 40,559
Short of using duct tape and a hammer I can't keep non custom iems in my ear canal for longer than a few seconds so it's customs all the way for me.

I'm the same way except my ear shape is tough to get good impressions taken so it's always a struggle for me. Austin at Empire has been a real MVP every step of the way in helping me get my Valks right.

Feb 14, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #20,722 of 40,559
I've been recommending these for a long time! They are great tip, and the fact that they are wide bore adds something different too.
Having said that, I have pretty awkward ear canals, and found that after a 2-4 weeks of use, they would soften up and start to work their way out of my ears gradually, so I've been mainly using New Bee wide bore foam tips that I buy on Amazon. But I think Symbio sound better and if the fit works, they're definitely worth a try :)

I generally use JVC spiral dots but they make the treble a bit harsh on the Nemesis. They are known for making stuff brighter. It’s just a bit too much. The Symbios are perfect. Loving the Nemesis with them.
I have never had luck with foam tips but I’ll check out the New Bee.

Feb 14, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #20,724 of 40,559
I'm the same way except my ear shape is tough to get good impressions taken so it's always a struggle for me. Austin at Empire has been a real MVP every step of the way in helping me get my Valks right.
Yep good impressions are the key. Struggled for a couple of years and finally changed audiologist and found one who knew what they were doing.

Feb 14, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #20,725 of 40,559
I generally use JVC spiral dots but they make the treble a bit harsh on the Nemesis. They are known for making stuff brighter. It’s just a bit too much. The Symbios are perfect. Loving the Nemesis with them.
I have never had luck with foam tips but I’ll check out the New Bee.

have you tried the spin fit cp500s? I found them to be the best with the Solaris

Feb 14, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #20,727 of 40,559
Hi there, was wondering if you have any impressions you can share yet about your Thor Silver II+ with Legend X (compared with the default Ares II ideally)?
Would be very interested to hear more :)

Hey Layman1, I haven’t received the Thor yet but I would be happy to give impressions when it arrives. I didn’t get an Ares II with the Legend X. I bought just the IEMs from a fellow headfier without a cable. I do have the PW Audio No.5 though, which I believe is supposed to be similar to the Ares II. I can give a comparison of Thor II+ vs No.5 if that would be useful.

Feb 14, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #20,728 of 40,559
have you tried the spin fit cp500s? I found them to be the best with the Solaris
I’ll check them out at CanJam. Thanks!

Feb 15, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #20,729 of 40,559
Hey Layman1, I haven’t received the Thor yet but I would be happy to give impressions when it arrives. I didn’t get an Ares II with the Legend X. I bought just the IEMs from a fellow headfier without a cable. I do have the PW Audio No.5 though, which I believe is supposed to be similar to the Ares II. I can give a comparison of Thor II+ vs No.5 if that would be useful.

Hey again, well that's no problem! Do you have any idea when it would arrive?
I was even thinking I could send you a regular Ares II cable to borrow, so that you can really hear what difference the Thor II+ is bringing to the table over the stock cable :)

Having said that, that cable, along with my Nemesis and Phantom are both on loan to another Head-Fi member, so I'll have to wait until I get them back (shouldn't be much longer I imagine).
Hence my question about when you expect to receive the Thor II+

Speaking of which, I've sent my thicker gauge Ares II+ to EA, and they are going to weld a Thor II+ cable onto it (hopefully not yours, haha) and turn it into an Eros II+ 8-wire (!)
Which also will be able to double as a leash, should I ever become the owner of a pet dragon :sweat_smile:

Feb 15, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #20,730 of 40,559
Hey again, well that's no problem! Do you have any idea when it would arrive?
I was even thinking I could send you a regular Ares II cable to borrow, so that you can really hear what difference the Thor II+ is bringing to the table over the stock cable :)

Having said that, that cable, along with my Nemesis and Phantom are both on loan to another Head-Fi member, so I'll have to wait until I get them back (shouldn't be much longer I imagine).
Hence my question about when you expect to receive the Thor II+

Speaking of which, I've sent my thicker gauge Ares II+ to EA, and they are going to weld a Thor II+ cable onto it (hopefully not yours, haha) and turn it into an Eros II+ 8-wire (!)
Which also will be able to double as a leash, should I ever become the owner of a pet dragon :sweat_smile:

I ordered the Thor II+ on the 7th Feb. Delivery should be within about 2-3 weeks. Small snag is that I made a mistake on the order and chose the 2 pin Flat connector when I should have had standard 2 pin. Now I’m trying to see if I can get this changed. This may incur more time.:disappointed_relieved:

The Eros II+ 8w sounds great. I tried out the Eros II+ and that seemed quite thick, and that was 4w. The 8w might be a beast! It would be good to have your impressions when you get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back