Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 27, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #18,736 of 40,539
Tried it at Canjam, it's insanely detailed. I tried the Phantom, Valkyrie, Legend X, Noble Khan, 64 U12 and U18 and along with my own Solaris I'd have to say it's the most detailed listen I've had

The Legend X is a more fun listen though, think I'll look to get that later if I ever replace my current :p

Could you give some impressions of the legend x vs the Solaris?

Jul 27, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #18,737 of 40,539
If I hadn't known the Valkyrie was new I would have thought it's been out for a while, very similar to the Legend X's sound signature with a nice bass but otherwise a bit narrower and a little less detailed mids/highs. It sits quite comfortably below for someone who wants the Legend X at a lower price point

Sadly I never tried the Trio and Fourte! In my research I had managed to completely overlook them, massively regretting it given I tried a lot of hybrid designs today
How is the bass is Valk relative to the LX? Personally I never got past the the double IXs to really focus on the mids and highs, so is it really a noticeable difference to the LX? And relative to Valk's bass, did they feel lacking at all?

Jul 27, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #18,738 of 40,539
How did you find valkyrie vs phantom and Lx?
Gave my thoughts on the Valkyrie vs Legend X, but one additional comment would be that I found the highs on the Legend X slightly more forward than the Valkyrie

Whilst the Legend X and Valkyrie are very much a V-shaped signature with fun, the Phantom is more neutral and referencing sounding. It has a larger soundstage, more precise mids and highs with slightly subdued bass as you'd expect from the BA design. You get more detail in the mids and highs with the Phantom over the Valkyie, with a slightly tighter but much less punchy and fun bass.

If I'm talking about the Phantom then I have to mention that the Wraith takes all the detail you get in the Phantom and dials it up to 11, I could almost feel/visualise every note and the instrument separation was astounding. The subdued bass means that it's much more enjoyable using it whilst listening to something that doesn't need a lot of bass such as orchestral, pop or jazz

Could you give some impressions of the legend x vs the Solaris?
I've owned my Solaris since it came out in December last year so I've listened to it for a long time now. It has a massive soundstage, I previously owned the Andromeda which I thought was big but the Solaris took that and made it even larger. The sound is much more neutral and sounds very natural, and with the hybrid design the bass is pronounced enough to get your foot tapping

With the Legend X the bass is much meatier and punchier, the V signature is more apparent on the Legend X whilst the Solaris has a much slighter curve which means it is significantly more fun listen. I couldn't help smiling when listening to rock and hearing the bass & dums kick in. The soundstage is slightly smaller than the Solaris but still large enough to feel immersed in the music. I did find that the mids and highs were comparable between the two in terms of forwardness and accuracy, perhaps even better accuracy given there's a drop in mid-high frequency on the Solaris which is sometimes quite apparent but didn't pick up on any Empire Ear IEMs. The Solaris still trumps in terms of natural sound, but that was the case with all the IEMs I demo-ed (including the Wraith)

How is the bass is Valk relative to the LX? Personally I never got past the the double IXs to really focus on the mids and highs, so is it really a noticeable difference to the LX? And relative to Valk's bass, did they feel lacking at all?
I found the bass between the two extremely comparable actually, to the point that I didn't realise they were constructed differently which means I didn't feel the Legend X's bass was lacking at all. If anything the bass was probably slightly louder on the Legend X, but it may have been actually boomier instead? I would have to perform a much closer A/B testing to better tell their difference

I'm still pretty new to the whole technical side of IEMs/headphones hence as you can tell my opinion is relatively loose :flushed: absolute great fun demoing at the Empire Ears booth though

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #18,739 of 40,539
Gave my thoughts on the Valkyrie vs Legend X, but one additional comment would be that I found the highs on the Legend X slightly more forward than the Valkyrie

Whilst the Legend X and Valkyrie are very much a V-shaped signature with fun, the Phantom is more neutral and referencing sounding. It has a larger soundstage, more precise mids and highs with slightly subdued bass as you'd expect from the BA design. You get more detail in the mids and highs with the Phantom over the Valkyie, with a slightly tighter but much less punchy and fun bass.

If I'm talking about the Phantom then I have to mention that the Wraith takes all the detail you get in the Phantom and dials it up to 11, I could almost feel/visualise every note and the instrument separation was astounding. The subdued bass means that it's much more enjoyable using it whilst listening to something that doesn't need a lot of bass such as orchestral, pop or jazz

I've owned my Solaris since it came out in December last year so I've listened to it for a long time now. It has a massive soundstage, I previously owned the Andromeda which I thought was big but the Solaris took that and made it even larger. The sound is much more neutral and sounds very natural, and with the hybrid design the bass is pronounced enough to get your foot tapping

With the Legend X the bass is much meatier and punchier, the V signature is more apparent on the Legend X whilst the Solaris has a much slighter curve which means it is significantly more fun listen. I couldn't help smiling when listening to rock and hearing the bass & dums kick in. The soundstage is slightly smaller than the Solaris but still large enough to feel immersed in the music. I did find that the mids and highs were comparable between the two in terms of forwardness and accuracy, perhaps even better accuracy given there's a drop in mid-high frequency on the Solaris which is sometimes quite apparent but didn't pick up on any Empire Ear IEMs. The Solaris still trumps in terms of natural sound, but that was the case with all the IEMs I demo-ed (including the Wraith)

I found the bass between the two extremely comparable actually, to the point that I didn't realise they were constructed differently which means I didn't feel the Legend X's bass was lacking at all. If anything the bass was probably slightly louder on the Legend X, but it may have been actually boomier instead? I would have to perform a much closer A/B testing to better tell their difference

I'm still pretty new to the whole technical side of IEMs/headphones hence as you can tell my opinion is relatively loose :flushed: absolute great fun demoing at the Empire Ears booth though
Excellent, boomy was definitely what I found about the LX. Its Valk timmmmmmme hi hoooooooo

Jul 27, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #18,740 of 40,539
If I hadn't known the Valkyrie was new I would have thought it's been out for a while, very similar to the Legend X's sound signature with a nice bass but otherwise a bit narrower and a little less detailed mids/highs. It sits quite comfortably below for someone who wants the Legend X at a lower price point

Sadly I never tried the Trio and Fourte! In my research I had managed to completely overlook them, massively regretting it given I tried a lot of hybrid designs today

Thanks for sharing. How about the Wraith vs U18T?

Jul 27, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #18,741 of 40,539
Finally got a chance to play with my Legend X, which is my first custom. The fit seems good. Isolation is not as good as I thought, but with music playing as a moderately low level, I can not hear the TV or anything else. It is how I remembered the universal sounded when I tested it on loan.

Jul 28, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #18,743 of 40,539
Ohh man thats a nice little review thanks a lot.
You are scaring me reading that you mention wraight to be a super phantom on huge boost with all its capabilities of showing the details and with wraight even more. Uh oh maybe I need a wraight instead of valkyrie?

After all i didnt like the x line cause it was not as accurate and reference as the ep serie?
Same time the ep is reference but with width and thick warmy sound.
I really love that in my phantoms.
Was missing the DD like bass bounce and low sub rumble (
If I am lucky I might hear wraight and valk and see what it for real )

If I like the wraith more its gona be very expensive again lol sight hmm hmm

I'm still pretty new to the whole technical side of IEMs/headphones hence as you can tell my opinion is relatively loose :flushed: absolute great fun demoing at the Empire Ears booth though[/QUOTE

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #18,745 of 40,539
damn , Wraith seems like the Master Jedi in the EE lineup , if it's like a Zeus XR on steroids

thanx for the great impressions/comparisons @Fatsosixsixsix

Jul 28, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #18,746 of 40,539
Don’t see much here about Moon Audio Silver Dragon cables. I bought one for my LX mainly for the ergonomics (like the way it hangs around ears and is a bit longer). I was pleasantly surprised by the sound. Seems to have left the bass alone but opened up the mids and treble. Is that because they are silver and the supplied cable is copper? Any opinions on Moon Audio cables?

Jul 28, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #18,747 of 40,539
Thanks for sharing. How about the Wraith vs U18T?
I tested them quite far apart so it's difficult to compare, but even compared to the U12 I found the U18 wasn't a massive step up in detail, and you could hear that it was tuned differently as the bass was noticeably more subdued than the U12. I'm afraid I can't give much detail, but the U18 didn't really match up to the Wraith in my opinion and performs much closer to the Phantom's level

Imo the X line isn't less accurate, it just has enough going on that you have to focus a little more to get the full picture. But it's worth it for how Sick as Hell they sound, for me :)
That may be true, I would love to spend a full day with the EE IEMs to get some full comparisons :p

Jul 28, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #18,748 of 40,539
I tested them quite far apart so it's difficult to compare, but even compared to the U12 I found the U18 wasn't a massive step up in detail, and you could hear that it was tuned differently as the bass was noticeably more subdued than the U12. I'm afraid I can't give much detail, but the U18 didn't really match up to the Wraith in my opinion and performs much closer to the Phantom's level

That may be true, I would love to spend a full day with the EE IEMs to get some full comparisons :p

That is exciting to hear, thanks again for sharing your impressions. I can't wait to listen to the Wraith myself...something tells me that is only a month or so away :smirk:.

Jul 28, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #18,749 of 40,539
20190728_175648_cleaned.jpg

Here's the Wraith marketing spiel if anyone cares :p if there's one for the Valkyrie I didn't pick it up though

Jul 28, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #18,750 of 40,539
Still sitting here waiting here hoping for an announcement that Phantom X will be released as a non limited. Anyyyyy time now Empire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back