Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 30, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #16,622 of 40,526
So I found the Ares ii 8 wire and the phantom too warm , especially with my wm1z . I’m thinking of getting Thor ii as it’s a silver cable with a smooth tone . Will this bring some brightness to the phantom?.

Oct 30, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #16,623 of 40,526
So I found the Ares ii 8 wire and the phantom too warm , especially with my wm1z . I’m thinking of getting Thor ii as it’s a silver cable with a smooth tone . Will this bring some brightness to the phantom?.

I have had the luck to try the Phantom on the 1Z with the 8 wire Thor II and it's to me an even better match than Horus 8 wire no less... the Thor II 8w is indeed an atypic silver cable... it bring a lot of air, additional transparency and clarity and the most incredible bonus is more treble sparkle along with treble smoothness. It brings the Phantom treble to another level, really. And it does bring a tad more control to the bass as well... You don't loose anything but you gain a lot IMHO. I wonder what is the gap between 8 and 4 wire, the 8 wire also brings additional depth and the soundstage is more holographic than Ares II 4w (as it should)

Oct 30, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #16,624 of 40,526
I have had the luck to try the Phantom on the 1Z with the 8 wire Thor II and it's to me an even better match than Horus 8 wire no less... the Thor II 8w is indeed an atypic silver cable... it bring a lot of air, additional transparency and clarity and the most incredible bonus is more treble sparkle along with treble smoothness. It brings the Phantom treble to another level, really. And it does bring a tad more control to the bass as well... You don't loose anything but you gain a lot IMHO. I wonder what is the gap between 8 and 4 wire, the 8 wire also brings additional depth and the soundstage is more holographic than Ares II 4w (as it should)
Yeah , i've heard really good stuff about the 8 wire, problem is , its over my budget at the moment, and i have no idea what the differences are between the 4 and 8 wire .

Oct 30, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #16,625 of 40,526
Yeah , i've heard really good stuff about the 8 wire, problem is , its over my budget at the moment, and i have no idea what the differences are between the 4 and 8 wire .
You not the only on that cant tell the difference btw the 2, there only about 1% of the people on headfi can, and most of them are reviewers

Oct 30, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #16,628 of 40,526
Yes, it does. I'm using that combo right now, and it does raise the treble and upper mids a touch. More to my liking, but still maintaining the more lush sound of the phantom. Tried the Eros II 8, but still personally preferred the Thor.

Oct 30, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #16,630 of 40,526
You not the only on that cant tell the difference btw the 2, there only about 1% of the people on headfi can, and most of them are reviewers
Ooh, I'm not so sure about that. Then again, I'm easily persuaded.:ksc75smile:

Attachments

• What James Franco.gif
    What James Franco.gif
    5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #16,631 of 40,526
Oct 30, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #16,635 of 40,526
I see. did you at anytime own the 4 wire ?.i'm mainly looking at the 4 wire as the 8 wire is out of my budget, and as you said not ideal for active use.
Never owned the 4 wire. My stand on cables is, as others have said, that they are kind of the last upgrade to make to your system. The laws of diminishing returns apply the most to cables, IMO, when it comes to cost.

Also, I think I saw a 4 wire Thor in the classifieds very recently.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back