Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 24, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #14,986 of 40,540
*brief interruption* (sorry guys, but i just wanted to say)

you audiophiles are sometimes the only people i can relate to in this world.

i’m having an especially bad day in which i just feel so alone (even tho i have a beautiful gf and lots of friends) i just want to take a moment and say that i’m grateful to each and everyone of you.

and moreso i appreciate all of y’alls passion and appreciation for more, for better.

just like japanese swords i believe our iems/headphones have lively personalities and are an extension of ourselves.

Have a great day y’all, and Never Settle for less

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #14,987 of 40,540
I haven't heard the Hermes VI (although I was always very interested in them), but used the Ares II 8-wire a lot with my Phantom, which you can read about in more detail in my review that @kubig123 kindly linked to. I also discuss the pairing in my review of the Phantom (link)

The Ares II 8-wire, in my opinion, scales incredibly well and makes the Phantom sound "grand". I listen to a lot of classical symphonies and the way the Phantom present those with the 8-wire is wonderful, you get a real sense of the venue. The 8-wire adds tons of air and increases the stage, yet maintains coherency. Although I tend to lean more towards the 4-wire for intimate jazz such as Caro Emerald, with the 8-wire is still sounds amazing and vocals can be eerily realistic.
This is the reason why I bought a custom Phantom + Ares II 8-wire @ CanJam London , both at a very nice discount .
For the first time listening to this album :

Beethoven's fifth.jpg

with the Phantom / Ares II 8-wire combo sounded like I was at the concert !

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #14,988 of 40,540

i’m having an especially bad day in which i just feel so alone (even tho i have a beautiful gf and lots of friends) i just want to take a moment and say that i’m grateful to each and everyone of you.

and moreso i appreciate all of y’alls passion and appreciation for more, for better.

just like japanese swords i believe our iems/headphones have lively personalities and are an extension of ourselves.

Well, I think many folk on here feel a bond as kindred spirits. Hope your day improves and you feel better by the end of it. :smile_phones:

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #14,989 of 40,540

Head-fi has a great community and is a bit like AA (Audiophiles Anonymous), except we all collectively said "Bugger this for a lark!" and gave into the addiction big time. :D
This is the reason why I bought a custom Phantom + Ares II 8-wire @ CanJam London , both at a very nice discount .
For the first time listening to this album :

with the Phantom / Ares II 8-wire combo sounded like I was at the concert !
Oh yeah, I love listening to Beethoven's 5th with this pairing. It sounds grand and the woodwinds come through gorgeously well. Great to hear you liked it as well, even well enough to buy them.

Shame I had to miss Canjam again this year. Would have loved to try out the other EE IEMs and various EA cables with my Phantom.

Jul 24, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #14,990 of 40,540
Head-fi has a great community and is a bit like AA (Audiophiles Anonymous), except we all collectively said "Bugger this for a lark!" and gave into the addiction big time. :D

Oh yeah, I love listening to Beethoven's 5th with this pairing. It sounds grand and the woodwinds come through gorgeously well. Great to hear you liked it as well, even well enough to buy them.

Shame I had to miss Canjam again this year. Would have loved to try out the other EE IEMs and various EA cables with my Phantom.

Actually as frustrating as it is, one of the few things I'm (sometimes) grateful for is the fact that I have difficulty with normal iems. This means there's not a lot of point me trying some of the more expensive ones as there is little point as there is a good chance it won't fit! It's one way to beat the curiosity anyway! I give in to temptation every now and then just to see if anythings changed, but most of the time it hasn't :frowning2: :)

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #14,991 of 40,540
does anyone know the actual price to make a pair of empire ears phantom legend x or zeus?

like how much money does it cost for 1... hm curious as to the profit margins i’m sure they are enormous

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #14,992 of 40,540
does anyone know the actual price to make a pair of empire ears phantom legend x or zeus?

like how much money does it cost for 1... hm curious as to the profit margins i’m sure they are enormous

Its quiet different than we might think. I think the R&D also time taken to tweak and configure are all factores.

Jul 24, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #14,995 of 40,540
LoL make a wish fast. Mr golden Ears :)

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #14,997 of 40,540
I haven't heard the Hermes VI (although I was always very interested in them), but used the Ares II 8-wire a lot with my Phantom, which you can read about in more detail in my review that @kubig123 kindly linked to. I also discuss the pairing in my review of the Phantom (link)

The Ares II 8-wire, in my opinion, scales incredibly well and makes the Phantom sound "grand". I listen to a lot of classical symphonies and the way the Phantom present those with the 8-wire is wonderful, you get a real sense of the venue. The 8-wire adds tons of air and increases the stage, yet maintains coherency. Although I tend to lean more towards the 4-wire for intimate jazz such as Caro Emerald, with the 8-wire is still sounds amazing and vocals can be eerily realistic.

Have you tried the leonidas with the phantoms? Wondering what you're thinking of both pairings. I have the lionheart and leonidas but the lionheart is pretty much stuck to my zeus XR

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #14,998 of 40,540
What dac amp combo would you guys recommend for phantom. Portable please. I like warm musical thick sound. Or a dap is better like fiio x7mk2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back