Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 19, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #12,901 of 40,345
is it true? am looking to reshell back to universals, have asked before EE but they dont do it, thats what was communicated to me that time.

That's interesting, they used to offer it. Maybe the timed reshell policy only applies to custom-to-custom reshells.

Apr 19, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #12,902 of 40,345
Anyone with Kaiser encore care to do a small comparison with both Phantom and Legend X.

Kind of miss my JH16s also, wondering if the Legend X is close to replicating the bass on the JH16s

Apr 19, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #12,903 of 40,345
Anyone with Kaiser encore care to do a small comparison with both Phantom and Legend X.

Kind of miss my JH16s also, wondering if the Legend X is close to replicating the bass on the JH16s

The Kaiser Encore is considerably brighter, crisper and sparklier than the Phantom. The latter is infinitely more natural-sounding, rich, full and rounded, but the Kaiser Encore will certainly seem more detailed because of its upper-treble-inclined tuning. The Phantom has better bass extension that's both felt and heard. The Kaiser Encore has a more articulative and lean midrange that emphasises detail, while the Phantom has a more forwardly-placed midrange that balances articulation with harmonic body. Finally, the Kaiser Encore has an elevated upper-treble for openness and air, while the Phantom is linear here for a more uncoloured and realistic response, a blacker background and a more organic presentation. Though, the Phantom does have a peak around 6-7kHz, which isn't necessarily fatiguing or bright, but - as @teknorob23 mentioned - may be sensitive to some.

@PinkyPowers has a ton of experience with both the KE and the Legend X, and I bet he'll compare them in his review. But, trust me when I say that the Legend X's low-end blows the JH16's out of the water by a country mile. Not only does it have quantity, the Legend X's bass is infinitely more resolving, textured, dynamic, guttural, clear, etc. In my opinion, it's absolutely no contest.

Apr 19, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #12,904 of 40,345
The Kaiser Encore is considerably brighter, crisper and sparklier than the Phantom. The latter is infinitely more natural-sounding, rich, full and rounded, but the Kaiser Encore will certainly seem more detailed because of its upper-treble-inclined tuning. The Phantom has better bass extension that's both felt and heard. The Kaiser Encore has a more articulative and lean midrange that emphasises detail, while the Phantom has a more forwardly-placed midrange that balances articulation with harmonic body. Finally, the Kaiser Encore has an elevated upper-treble for openness and air, while the Phantom is linear here for a more uncoloured and realistic response, a blacker background and a more organic presentation. Though, the Phantom does have a peak around 6-7kHz, which isn't necessarily fatiguing or bright, but - as @teknorob23 mentioned - may be sensitive to some.

@PinkyPowers has a ton of experience with both the KE and the Legend X, and I bet he'll compare them in his review. But, trust me when I say that the Legend X's low-end blows the JH16's out of the water by a country mile. Not only does it have quantity, the Legend X's bass is infinitely more resolving, textured, dynamic, guttural, clear, etc. In my opinion, it's absolutely no contest.

Sounds like the Legend X might be a better fit for me. How are vocals on it? I miss the bass of JH16s while am also lusting over intimate vocals. Not sure if the Legend X might be a good fit for me to find a middle ground.

Apr 19, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #12,905 of 40,345
Sounds like the Legend X might be a better fit for me. How are vocals on it? I miss the bass of JH16s while am also lusting over intimate vocals. Not sure if the Legend X might be a good fit for me to find a middle ground.

If you're looking for a middle ground between the LX and the JH16s with more intimate and warm vocals, you'd probably enjoy the Vantage. It evokes the JH16s in how the bass feeds warmth into the vocals, but - again - it's done with a lot more finesse, resolution, clarity, etc. I think it just goes to show how far technology has come, and I think that's the model you'd connect to most.

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #12,906 of 40,345
That's interesting, they used to offer it. Maybe the timed reshell policy only applies to custom-to-custom reshells.

Have been struggling with the fit as one is too deep and hence resulting i always have to use the balance of left and right channel on daps, then with changing iems now and then, have to switch back and forth. Sheesh.

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #12,907 of 40,345
If you're looking for a middle ground between the LX and the JH16s with more intimate and warm vocals, you'd probably enjoy the Vantage. It evokes the JH16s in how the bass feeds warmth into the vocals, but - again - it's done with a lot more finesse, resolution, clarity, etc. I think it just goes to show how far technology has come, and I think that's the model you'd connect to most.
from what i gather phantoms seem to do better for vocals. Shall maybe see if I can try both before deciding which

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #12,908 of 40,345

thank you so much for the suggestions and for the record i love the phantoms tuning and havent found it at all fatiguing while listening, its just been the after effects which i know entirely specific to my ears, that have created the issue.

I'd be keen to stay with EE if possible and my only concern as i say with the legend X is that the low end might be overwhelming. Having demoed for the Vegas for couple of weeks i found even thought they tightened up, it was just too much for me especially when using for editing/ monitoring at work. I know i'm not comparing apples and apples here, but that would still be my concern with the LX. The vantage certainly sounds like it might be a goer, but i'd be interested to know the pros and cons in your opinion of the sound quality versus LX. The 64audio n8t sound intriguing too, but having enquired with 64audio i understand they wont be available until June and i need something sorted asap.

Thank you again Daniel for your help, its much appreciated because i found you impressions on the Phantoms to be spot on and invaluable making my decision then. Being in the UK makes demo'ing difficult so finding like minded ears on here, who are so good at explaining what they here from new kit helps one invest with a lot more confidence... so no pressure! :wink:

so sorry to hear. I know how you feel when there is something you love, but there is just one thing that won't work out. Hope they can figure it out for you. Keep us posted.

yes its a real shame but thank Pete :)

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #12,909 of 40,345
Today is the day.

20180419_141552.jpg

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #12,910 of 40,345
from what i gather phantoms seem to do better for vocals. Shall maybe see if I can try both before deciding which

Of course! An audition is the absolute best way to judge an IEM. :)

thank you so much for the suggestions and for the record i love the phantoms tuning and havent found it at all fatiguing while listening, its just been the after effects which i know entirely specific to my ears, that have created the issue.

I'd be keen to stay with EE if possible and my only concern as i say with the legend X is that the low end might be overwhelming. Having demoed for the Vegas for couple of weeks i found even thought they tightened up, it was just too much for me especially when using for editing/ monitoring at work. I know i'm not comparing apples and apples here, but that would still be my concern with the LX. The vantage certainly sounds like it might be a goer, but i'd be interested to know the pros and cons in your opinion of the sound quality versus LX. The 64audio n8t sound intriguing too, but having enquired with 64audio i understand they wont be available until June and i need something sorted asap.

Thank you again Daniel for your help, its much appreciated because i found you impressions on the Phantoms to be spot on and invaluable making my decision then. Being in the UK makes demo'ing difficult so finding like minded ears on here, who are so good at explaining what they here from new kit helps one invest with a lot more confidence... so no pressure! :wink:

yes its a real shame but thank Pete :)

Gotcha, man, thanks so much for your kind words! :D Yeah, the Vantage and N8t are very similar in that they're both analogue/vintage/tube-sounding IEMs that use bass as a source of warmth and lushness, rather than a punch machine. The Vantage is probably more guttural and textured down low, while the N8t has a softer and smoother touch - both are amazing in their own respects. The Vantage's main con against the LX is clarity and soundstage. The LX is clearer-sounding because of its accentuated presence region, and because the LX's low-end doesn't feed into the mids as much; creating a leaner note that sounds crisper and cleaner by comparison, but certainly less natural and organic. This leaner structure also creates a more open stage with greater width, but the difference isn't night and day at all. The Vantage isn't as technically-inclined as the LX, but it's very close behind, and offers a more organic, rich and intimate take on the X-series sound.

Today is the day.

Bravado! :p

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #12,911 of 40,345
Apr 19, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #12,912 of 40,345
I'm going mental for this gorgeous design!
It's awesome right? I was going back and forth between the two faceplates but then decided there were enough similarities that they would look good together.

I was a little anxious about my decision until I saw the finished product and now just love it.

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #12,913 of 40,345
Have been struggling with the fit as one is too deep and hence resulting i always have to use the balance of left and right channel on daps, then with changing iems now and then, have to switch back and forth. Sheesh.

If you’re hearing channel imbalance, I’m sure EE are willing to reshell them for free. Just contact @Ethan Groover with your concerns and he’ll sort them out ASAP.

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #12,914 of 40,345

I agree with all of D's comments above. I've owned all three and the LX is the only one I've kept. The LX definitely delivers oodles of bass, but I find it to be far more articulate and textured than, for example, the CA Vega. It performs stunningly with electronic music (to which I dedicate a good chunk of my daily listening time), but is nonetheless an incredibly versatile IEM. I find it to be just as engaging with vocals and instrumentals - more so, in fact, than the Phantom - though it is highly sensitive to the quality of the source you are using.

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #12,915 of 40,345
If you’re hearing channel imbalance, I’m sure EE are willing to reshell them for free. Just contact @Ethan Groover with your concerns and he’ll sort them out ASAP.
Long story, alr out of refit period so was either hoping to refit to universal and solve all custom fit issues, on the other hand, i discovered comply wraps, thinking if i make it thicker on the other side would balance out the sound, now just awaiting for it to arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back