Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 14, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #12,751 of 40,345
I'm using the DX200 with AMP 5 and the Legend X and it is a fantastic pairing. I thought it would be too warm, but its soooo smooth. If you have that setup try it and let me know that it's not just me.

Apr 14, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #12,752 of 40,345
I'm using the DX200 with AMP 5 and the Legend X and it is a fantastic pairing. I thought it would be too warm, but its soooo smooth. If you have that setup try it and let me know that it's not just me.

Legend X counter balances those powerful bass drivers with a secondary emphasis on treble. Because of this, it isn't overly warm. There's a touch of high-end brightness, in fact. A lot like Zeus, though not quite as much. So it makes sense it would play well with AMP5.

I'm using the AMP4 module, and man, Legend X enjoys the hell out of it, as well.

DX200>AMP4>pS Tri-Copper>Legend X

That system is awe-inspiring. With reference level resolution and detail, along with an abundance of fun and musicality, it may be the most well-rounded setup I have.

Apr 14, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #12,753 of 40,345
Legend X counter balances those powerful bass drivers with a secondary emphasis on treble. Because of this, it isn't overly warm. There's a touch of high-end brightness, in fact. A lot like Zeus, though not quite as much. So it makes sense it would play well with AMP5.

I'm using the AMP4 module, and man, Legend X enjoys the hell out of it, as well.

DX200>AMP4>pS Tri-Copper>Legend X

That system is awe-inspiring. With reference level resolution and detail, along with an abundance of fun and musicality, it may be the most well-rounded setup I have.

I have a tri-copper coming in the next few weeks terminated with a 4.4....but I'm having a really hard time finding an AMP 4, I hope they start making them again. I love that AMP 4 though I gots to have one!

Apr 14, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #12,754 of 40,345
I have a tri-copper coming in the next few weeks terminated with a 4.4....but I'm having a really hard time finding an AMP 4, I hope they start making them again. I love that AMP 4 though I gots to have one!
iBasso released an AMP 4s, but it was sold out in like a day.

Apr 14, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #12,758 of 40,345
OK, so tried the SpinFits, they seem to give a bit more timbre than do the Spirals. I also find I need to crank up the volume 5-8 clicks with the Spins over the Spirals to get the same approximate sound on the same track. The Phantom bottom and lower mids seem more pronounced with the Spins, the Spirals seem to create a drier feel. Treble also is very good with the Spins, not Zeus good but good. All in all the Spins seem closer to the Final Audio sound, but, to my ears, more enjoyable. Keep in mind that the sound is likely source-dependent, so your milage may vary.

My big bags of tips are yielding results. Never throw things away. Interestingly, I never could get a good seal with either of these tips on my Angie.

Apr 14, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #12,763 of 40,345
Sigh I have to say.....Phantoms are sick......but only out of the right source. I was listening on the go on my zx300 and I was bored and unengaged. Plug it into my r2r dac, it sounds amazing.....but its also not portable. Just have to cross my fingers and hope Sony doesn't charge too much for their new totl dap if it comes. Or grab a wm1z for cheaper...though I don't think it'll reach those levels in portable audio.

Apr 15, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #12,764 of 40,345
I am totally crushed this morning... my right side custom Phantom simply broke... Not a nice way to start vacations with my beloved (no music for a week only took them), I can’t believe this happened... it had to be the best fitting ear too (I was wondering a bit about the left and thought about reshell warranty, fiddly seal)

IMG_0001.JPG

Crushed shell just closing the provided Empire carry case, I positioned each side carefully as usual and I didn’t even apply any force or anything I juste heard a heart breaking crack when closing... it’s even stranger that there is no significant pressure mark on the padding material?!? I should have used my other Pelican case :-/

I am OCD with gear nothing ever happened to me :frowning2:

I am a newbie to custom but the shell is quite thin and I thought there was some kind of filling material, isn’t there or am I confused with VE8?with gear I am still in total shock with this... has this ever happened ?

@Ethan Groover Can you guys help me ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back