Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 27, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #12,076 of 40,559
CA74D33E-79B9-4919-AE3D-FF8277740BDB.jpeg

This is a look of evil. Pretty!

And now for a matching cable... Hansound Redcore comes to mind!

That's an evil and wonderful thought :grimacing: I've always loved the design of that cable! Wonder how it would pair with the Phantom. Hmmmmmmmmmmm...............

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #12,077 of 40,559
Daniel what about Bravado coming from the Spartan, just to set the table correctly my Spartans are circa 2016 no ADEL CIEM's. I love them and will not replace them for critical/analytic listening; want a complement or maybe even slightly opposing signature to them. Source is PC(mostly 44.1 - 96 FLAC) USB>Foobar 2K> Bimby>Cavalli LC Version 2 as I would not use these on the go(have enough of those for several people really need to purge) budget is 1K (I have the income just have too many hobbies that I don't want to give up). At SoCal Can Jam I really just want to listen to couple choices and purchase other wise I'll never decide. BTW all things being equal I would purchase from EE just because the folks behind the company. Thought appreciated as are anyone's else.

Echoing sentiments previously expressed here, the Bravado provides a more upfront and engaging listening experience whilst maintaining the air and sparkle of the Spartan. It has a more forwardly-placed midrange for added vocal presence, but careful tuning has prevented that lower-treble from becoming offensive; it ends up sounding smoother than the Spartan. Instruments also sound larger in terms of note size, while the Spartan is rather neutral in this regard. This phenomena is further amplified when we get to the bass. The Bravado's low-end is looming, atmospheric and impactful, yet also finessed and controlled. You'll get the physical punch of a dynamic driver, but its decay is impressively quick. As a result, warmth coming from the mid-bass is minimal, preventing the overall presentation from becoming overtly rich, heavy or overbearing. Overall, the Bravado excels at engagement, fun, linearity and smoothness, and I think you'll appreciate what it has to offer compared to the Spartan-IV.

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #12,078 of 40,559
With DX200 and Amp 4 specifically: I can't recommend it more highly.

Edit: to make the answer a bit less vague, check out the impressions of the Phantom on the Empire Ears thread and/or Ranking the Stars. I've posted impressions there as have others. What the DX200 with Amp 4 does is ensure you bring out the best of the Phantom - fantastic, extremely deep but balanced and phenomenally articulate bass, mids and vocals that are so vivid, holographic and lively that you can't help but be fully immersed in the soul of the music, and clear, extended, natural treble to tie it all together. All with the most natural timbre you can ask for and a tonal balance that shifts from song to song depending on how the music is meant to be heard - the gear disappears and nothing is left but pure, glorious music. Unless you like Justin Bieber. Then shame on you! :ksc75smile:

That’s such great news to my ears, if it pairs as well as with the VE8 I’ll be happy!

AMP4 is my favorite, AMP5 is second and sometimes a better match depending on the IEM...

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #12,079 of 40,559
imho , EE should haveset a cutoff date on previously purchased EE ciems (like noble did) about being able to reshell them

@Jack Vang what is your take on the matter ?

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #12,080 of 40,559
@davidmolliere and @fuhransahis , I would like some input from you guys on the DX200. How is OS on the DX200 these days? When the device was first launched, people used to complain about a lot of bugs. Has that changed now? Also, is it smooth?

@San Man and I are trying to move to a DAP with 4.4mm Balanced. We both own LPG that has zero UI issues. Zero. Nada. So coming from LPG, what can we expect from the DX200 in terms of lags or unresponsiveness or hiccups?

Mar 27, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #12,082 of 40,559
Mar 27, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #12,085 of 40,559
That’s such great news to my ears, if it pairs as well as with the VE8 I’ll be happy!

AMP4 is my favorite, AMP5 is second and sometimes a better match depending on the IEM...

Never owned Amp 5 but I have Amps 3 and 4. Amp 3 was awesome with the Phantom. Amp 4 improves it with a deeper sub bass (I know I flipped my thoughts on this - never underestimate burn in on the DX200 Amps! Also burned in the Phantom more.), better layering and a more enveloping soundstage. Everyone has their own tastes and so on but I would be shocked if you didn't find the pairing to be to your liking :L3000:

@davidmolliere and @fuhransahis , I would like some input from you guys on the DX200. How is OS on the DX200 these days? When the device was first launched, people used to complain about a lot of bugs. Has that changed now? Also, is it smooth?

@San Man and I are trying to move to a DAP with 4.4mm Balanced. We both own LPG that has zero UI issues. Zero. Nada. So coming from LPG, what can we expect from the DX200 in terms of lags or unresponsiveness or hiccups?

I was one of those who adapted early-ish on with the DX200 and received a unit plagued with the Ghost Swipe bug. Paul from iBasso replaced my device and it has been operating flawlessly since then. I find the complaints on lag in Mango mode to be grossly overstated, but in any case frequent software updates have sped things up.

Just to tie this back to the thread... yes, thre DX200 and Amp 4 pairs outstandingly with the Phantom, so highly recommend it for your shiny new (or still shiny but not new) EE iems:ksc75smile:

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #12,086 of 40,559
Had the chance to spend 3 days with the Phantoms (with Leonidas).....alone, no wife @ home. Just me and the Phantoms.....and the Leonidas. And i fell in unconditional love. So i had to order this beauty (universal) together with the Leonidas. Can't wait..... :)

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #12,089 of 40,559
Had the chance to spend 3 days with the Phantoms (with Leonidas).....alone, no wife @ home. Just me and the Phantoms.....and the Leonidas. And i fell in unconditional love. So i had to order this beauty (universal) together with the Leonidas. Can't wait..... :)
Has your wife found out about this yet? I find it's best to come clean and tell her before she finds out. It won't be easy on her but hopefully in the end she'll understand it was for the best.

Mar 27, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #12,090 of 40,559
Just wanna stop by and post my impressions of Phantom + EA flagship cables here.

I've been trying out EE Phantom with many cables in my arsenal. I find Phantom pairs really well with EA Bespoke Mars+Leonidas 8w. It still retains the characteristics of Phantom but amplify them in every aspect. Phantom + the bespoke wire are nirvana for relaxing long term listening.
On the other hand, Horus gives a bit boost in the upper bass and lower mid regions which make vocal sound a bit fuller + a bit more forward (sound similar to Zeus XIV) and give kick drum a bit more slam. This bring Phantom to a tad of a warmer side.

for tl;dr
Phantom + Mars Leo : Great pairing for natural sound
Phantom + Horus : More engaging, warmer
29681267_10155845517535129_974387044_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back