Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 8, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #11,596 of 40,559
giphy.gif

(That's actually pretty neat for a faceplate design! :D)

Add another V and you have yourself a W for @Wyville. :D

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #11,598 of 40,559
20180308 -_DSC6239-85 mm-ISO 400-1-160 sec at f - 3,2 - 3947 x 3185.jpg

Just to get back on topic :)
Seriously, i can say that i get what has been said about the bass, however it might be the secret basshead in me but i'm not finding it to much (except for a few songs that just will be bass!..) So.. less "bass" than expected, and that is a good thing, since the bass that is there, from what i've heard so far is excellent! In the short time i've had them (hours) it's obvious the difference you get with a dynamic driver bass, feeling it!... And i like it.

btw: In the future everyone be sure to add enough disclaimers to any posting that includes the character V :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #11,599 of 40,559

Just to get back on topic :)
Seriously, i can say that i get what has been said about the bass, however it might be the secret basshead in me but i'm not finding it to much (except for a few songs that just will be bass!..) So.. less "bass" than expected, and that is a good thing, since the bass that is there, from what i've heard so far is excellent! In the short time i've had them (hours) it's obvious the difference you get with a dynamic driver bass, feeling it!... And i like it.

btw: In the future everyone be sure to add enough disclaimers to any posting that includes the character V :ksc75smile:

What's most impressive to me about the Legend X's bass is how focused and disciplined it is in terms of where it hits in the stage. It remains dead centre and leaves the rest of the soundscape for the mids and the highs to reign. It's a brilliant use of space and I expect no less than the maestros over at EE. :wink:

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #11,600 of 40,559
Sorry for spamming..
Got carried away with the camera..

Zeus XIV vs the Legend-X ( they are the same size more or less)

A few more of the Legend-x (tell me when to stop) :dt880smile:

You're pictures look so good it makes me want to move there to experience that lighting in person...

Well compared to XIV my first impressions is more bass, and a little brighter. But take it with a grain of salt since i've been listening like 5 minutes... However it's not "V" shaped but more "v" shaped..
I was actually a bit surprised that it was brighter in the treble, but i think i've read it in a review somewhere.. I guess i just was focusing on bass and just forgot about the rest of the signature when i waited for them to arrive :)
I'll look forward to hearing your impressions after a few days of burn-in! The legend smooths out quite drastically in the first 100 hours.

however there are some that are called V or U shaped, that I could live with and enjoy based on listening tests. Not so in 2 channel audio, lol..
I feel that. Making me think of the Klipsch RF7 IIs I have at home that I'm struggling to effectively equalize... Their tweeters are murderous:tired_face:

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #11,602 of 40,559
I think the problem with describing signatures (which leads to a problem with reviews as a whole) is that it's impossible to create an objective description from a subjective measurement, regardless of how many adjectives we use.

V-shaped, musical, wet, airy, etc all sound differently to different people.

I've heard neither the Zeus XIV nor the Legend X, but once I hear one of them I'll know how @thebratts feels about their relative signatures. It'd be wishful thinking on my part to truly try to discern much beyond that!

...Also those pictures are fantastic. :D

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #11,603 of 40,559
well unless we hear them , we can not be sure how they sound , only intepret other people's thoughts and opinions

maybe @flinkenick could put some quantitative numbers to lows/mids/highs for zeus xiv / phantom / legend ?

the v-shaped term sounds like it does not do justice to how legend X , as i would assume something like 9/6/9

so far i think that legend probably seems like a less-mid forward , more bassy and more sparly Zeus XIV while Phantom seems like a more bassy and less sparkly Zeus XIV ?

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #11,605 of 40,559
I think the problem with describing signatures (which leads to a problem with reviews as a whole) is that it's impossible to create an objective description from a subjective measurement, regardless of how many adjectives we use.

V-shaped, musical, wet, airy, etc all sound differently to different people.

I've heard neither the Zeus XIV nor the Legend X, but once I hear one of them I'll know how @thebratts feels about their relative signatures. It'd be wishful thinking on my part to truly try to discern much beyond that!

...Also those pictures are fantastic. :D

Yes, exactly. This is why we - as reviewers - have to use objective descriptions to elaborate on those vaguer terms. Is the v-shape due to an accentuated mid-bass and lower-treble? Is it from a guttural sub-bass and a crisp upper-treble? Is it from an energetic bass region in general plus upper-midrange sparkle? Again, since it was merely short impressions and @thebratts wasn't intending to write a full-on review, his descriptor was more than adequate for me. Of course, I'd imagine he'd be more thorough if he decides to write a full article.

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #11,606 of 40,559
First off, I want to go on record that I LOVE me some V a few times a week.

This all comes down to what you like and how you like it. We all talk shapes and graphs and everything else, but it's all about listening. Just is. Find a company you like and who supports you and then find what you probably like. Most seem very happy with their purchases as they know they like for the most part.

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #11,607 of 40,559
You're pictures look so good it makes me want to move there to experience that lighting in person...

I'll look forward to hearing your impressions after a few days of burn-in! The legend smooths out quite drastically in the first 100 hours.

I feel that. Making me think of the Klipsch RF7 IIs I have at home that I'm struggling to effectively equalize... Their tweeters are murderous:tired_face:

Let's talk Ethan! :)

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #11,608 of 40,559
well unless we hear them , we can not be sure how they sound , only intepret other people's thoughts and opinions

maybe @flinkenick could put some quantitative numbers to lows/mids/highs for zeus xiv / phantom / legend ?

the v-shaped term sounds like it does not do justice to how legend X , as i would assume something like 9/6/9

so far i think that legend probably seems like a less-mid forward , more bassy and more sparly Zeus XIV while Phantom seems like a more bassy and less sparkly Zeus XIV ?

The easiest way to imagine the Legend X is to use the Zeus-R as a reference. Bass on the Legend X is miles more impactful, but it's certainly more felt than it is heard. The Legend X has a more linear, clean and clear treble with improved extension and a calmer lower-treble. The Phantom - in the midrange - is a somewhat like the Zeus-XIV. It's bass is just slightly accentuated, but its main improvement comes from extension. The Phantom goes down deeper than the Zeus-XIV, with just a touch of extra bloom. The Phantom has a more linear and extended treble than the Zeus-XIV, but it is less brittle, articulative and bite-y.

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #11,609 of 40,559
Again, since it was merely short impressions and @thebratts wasn't intending to write a full-on review, his descriptor was more than adequate for me. Of course, I'd imagine he'd be more thorough if he decides to write a full article.

What...? isn't "v shaped with great midrange" enough to hit buy! ? (i will probably never write a real review i'll leave that to the experts). :)

Mar 8, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #11,610 of 40,559
Yes, exactly. This is why we - as reviewers - have to use objective descriptions to elaborate on those vaguer terms. Is the v-shape due to an accentuated mid-bass and lower-treble? Is it from a guttural sub-bass and a crisp upper-treble? Is it from an energetic bass region in general plus upper-midrange sparkle? Again, since it was merely short impressions and @thebratts wasn't intending to write a full-on review, his descriptor was more than adequate for me. Of course, I'd imagine he'd be more thorough if he decides to write a full article.
I guess the opinion I was agruing was this:

Accentuated, guttural, and crisp are all terms that have a subjective grey area that will change from person to person - simply because our ears are all different. At some point the accentuation would reach a point where we could all agree that it exists, but I believe those points would form a spectrum.

That's not to say reviews are worthless, just that they're limited unless the person reading the review can create an actual point of reference between themselves and the reviewer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back