Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Feb 19, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #11,041 of 40,538
Thanks!

Once I order the Phantom, it will surely be a custom one. They already have my impressions (and my Zeus still fits like a glove), which makes that decision even easier.
Any restraint would have been pointless after the day I first heard it :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #11,042 of 40,538
did you find Phantom to be more bassy than your XR ?

i find the Zeus bass fine , worried that Phantom will be too bassy for my non-basshead ears

Legend also seems great but this should be a bass-bomb , so it's probably 99% not for me

Feb 19, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #11,043 of 40,538

i find the Zeus bass fine , worried that Phantom will be too bassy for my non-basshead ears
While both models have excellent high quality bass imo, the Phantom has noticeable more bass quantity in its signature than the XR. Especially in the sub (rumble) range, which I really enjoyed :ksc75smile:
Both models have their own strenghts and imo they complement each other very well. Because of that I also have no intentions to put my Zeus XR for sale. I'm still enjoying that one way too much!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #11,044 of 40,538

Legend also seems great but this should be a bass-bomb , so it's probably 99% not for me

The Phantom is bassier than the XR, but not in the ways you might expect.

The Phantom has a beautiful flow from the sub-bass all the way to the upper-bass, but none of it ever takes the spotlight away from the midrange or treble. Rather, its bass serves as a foundation for the midrange and treble to stand on; a strong foundation for its rich, bodied signature overall. Sub-bass on the Phantom is more palpable simply because its extension outclasses that of the Zeus. Mid-bass is only accentuated to add body and humanise tone; emphasising timbre and rhythm over sheer impact. Decay is also superbly natural, so it neither feels under-developed nor overstays its welcome.

The upper-bass, to me, is the star of the show. Although sub-bass is abundant and immensely satisfying, the upper-bass is responsible for at least 40% of the Phantom’s gorgeous midrange. Displaying top-class dynamics, a fantastic melodious tone and ample body, the upper-bass makes instruments like tom-toms, soprano and baritone vocals, and the left-most keys of a piano shine like I’ve never heard them. The Phantom’s bass is more melody than rhythm, more hum than thump, and more rich than heavy. It’s an audiophile bass at its finest, and it’s a low-end that anyone can enjoy.

Feb 19, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #11,045 of 40,538
Adel seems to hop on different companies and leech, they leave companies quick (or get booted off)

From 64 audio to Empire Ears and now inears.... It's only downhill after inears.

Because .. I just don't think it sounds good and because of that... Sales...
Leech? Really? ADEL was chosen by those companies, not the other way around, LOL. Tail don't wag the dog.
And now 64 ears does their own version of the same thing as a sonic improvement and it's not better than ADEL. It's business for them, getting around a patent and adding profit by not paying a 3rd party.

64 and EE have been on a tear. How has it hurt sales? If you don't like it, the IEM you had wasn't tuned for it or you had the wrong module for your preferences and that's the issue here. It's a complication which EE has now chosen to avoid. I get it but ADEL works if used correctly. Much of the customs market is isolation based and ADEL doesn't help there. That and I'm sure the amount of time EE spent in customer service advising folks as to which module was best for them and hand holding as folks chose the wrong one for their preferences had a lot to do with this. EE knows which one sounds most right for a particular device and yet a consumer may still want more bass for instance. I'm sure it happened often. Man hours is still the most expensive part of this. With this decision, EE can be assured a customer gets exactly what they heard or expect every time and with great isolation at a lower price. I'm rather certain that this is a consistency and time/value consideration. With the new line up looking this good, meeting demand will only become that much more difficult. Removing that complication is only good business and of benefit to consumer wait times.

My last post on this as I saw Deezel's move on request after posting. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #11,046 of 40,538
Btw, I've heard both and decided (based on my own preferences) to get the Phantom. But I also think that you can't go wrong with either of them :ksc75smile:
Thanks mate!

TBH, the Phantom would be the better choice for me with Euphoria Audio's privileges here locally but then again I would have to KIV till I find a stable job first:slight_frown:

Feb 19, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #11,047 of 40,538
Bravado (S$788)WIN

The Bravado is the X-line-up’s entry-level model, and – as I teased in the introductory paragraph – one of my absolute favourites from the entire show; regardless of price. Sporting excellent tonal balance from top to bottom, the Bravado shines in its ability to produce gobs of dynamic energy win with exceptional headroom win and exquisite smoothness. Reminiscent of IEMs like the Lime Ears Aetherwin or the Vision Ears VE8, the Bravado pairs solid, punchy notes with brilliant volumes of air win. As a result, the Bravado exudes openness win and ease without resorting to an excessive treble peak win; maintaining organicity and warmth in its timbre win. Bodied notes offset the Bravado’s articulative energy – balancing naturalness and transparency with ease win .

A forwardly-placed vocal range WIN contributes to the Bravado’s allure, benefitting from an upper-mid peak for clarity in articulation. A slight lift in the extreme upper-treble is responsible for the Bravado’s openness and air, but a linear treble response – as well as tastefulness in the lift – maintains excellent smoothness whole sentnce of win; endowing the Bravado with an energetic-yet-forgiving sense of sparkle. Bass frequencies are extremely well-controlled and linearly extended. Although the Bravado isn’t as chestily impactful as its older brothers, it still boasts a low-end that’s punchy, visceral and beautifullytextured still a win. The Bravado is an exceptional IEM, price tag notwithstanding. But, when you take its value into consideration, it truly is a revolutionary piece – bringing a dense, engaging and soulful sound into the mid-tier market. Bravo.
So much win and your wallet says win too! It gotta sell like hot cakes

I know... I know... I had already decided to get the Phantom a while back, but reading up on some of the other models it is very difficult not to think...
:imp: "But what if I add just one of the other, less expensive models? EVR?" :imp:
:imp: "Or just give myself some BASS with the Vantage?" :imp:
It is never quiet on that one shoulder. :D
tru dat! See all the subliminal words I keep seeing after reading Daniel’s prose?

Yeah, I think I have learned that lesson by now. Endgame is always just out of reach...
biscuit-time.gif
Ah yesssss, someone ought to make an iem called Tantalus, start thr project at $50 and keep pushing back the release date by adding new tech and methods over time, the price would increase accordingly of course*. And put Charles Altman at the head. Because reasons*.

Feb 19, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #11,048 of 40,538
Bravado seems amazing , indeed

but the 'always go for the TOTL one' virus is so strong within me ever since i jumped from RE-272 and EQ-5 to NT6 and XR , so it's probably Phantom sometime later

Feb 19, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #11,049 of 40,538
Bravado seems amazing , indeed

but the 'always go for the TOTL one' virus is so strong within me ever since i jumped from RE-272 and EQ-5 to NT6 and XR , so it's probably Phantom sometime later

Full disclosure: Personally, I like the Bravado as much as the Legend X. Take price into consideration, and the Legend X is fighting one tough uphill battle. :wink:

Also, please refer to my “consistent technical performance” blurbs. The entry-level units pose a much stronger challenge than one might expect...

Feb 19, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #11,050 of 40,538
I feel you @proedros At the end of the day, I want to know I got the best just to put my worries to rest. Hence I shelled out for the phantom. I do feel bummed out that everyone is getting a custom version and I elected to go universal. Still think its the right choice for me because I want other people to hear the phantom so they can experience the product. I feel listening = a thousand words. Sharing is caring! I'm glad I didn't try the legend X. I made up my mind before going to canjam that if the phantom was good enough, I would purchase it. Lol. Cheers!

Feb 19, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #11,051 of 40,538
@Dithyrambes you can always go for Legend next or Phantom custom - you know how addictive this hobby is once you go past the first series of entry-level purchases

speaking of addiction, besides going for the TOTL iems i have also gone full custom mode ever since i got my first CIEM (NT6) and those that came after it (CA Anzu v2 / EE Athena / EE Zeus XR) - i admit being addicted to that tight custom fit

btw @Deezel177 , i saved your full write in doc and will add more people's impressions of the new EE lineup as they come in - i need to do some studying here

Bravado , ESR , Phantom , Legend X - all seem like great options to me.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #11,052 of 40,538
Copied and pasted from the NY Canjam Impressions thread:

"empire ears : i tried out one of the models on the left end of the table, the black colored ones. Gave a 10-12 minute listen and liked them. Told the guy that handed them to me they sounded better than the tia forte. He smiled and thanked me. I meant it. I will purchase from your company in the future."

If anyone knows what model this dude listened to I'll be super thankful.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #11,053 of 40,538
That would be from the Phantom line

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #11,054 of 40,538
What incredible thread. I love reading everybody’s posts and their impressions of all the IEM’s. After having met a few of you and being able to talk about the differences that you were hear, I can read your thoughts and translate better into what I hear. This weekend has really opened my eyes to the portable world of audio.

You can’t go wrong with any of the choices here, as all of them are just outstanding compared to what I heard it other booths. There are only a few IEM’s from other companies at the show that I would be able to live with long-term.

I now understand why Noble and Empire Ears are two of the leaders in this industry at this point in time. I heard the 64s and enjoyed their treos best, so please take what I say with that in mind. I did purchase the CIEM Phantom’s, as I know that they will do even more for the bass, soundstage and treble. It is one phenomenal IEM to say the least.

Be a two channel guy, I’ve also been involved with headphones for a few years now. I had Stax Lambda Pros since 1982 and now currently enjoy ZMF. Again that will help you figure out where I’m coming from.

What I really enjoyed was cable rolling as you put it. I can promise you that the prototypes from Effect Audio are unbelievably good. I know that they’ll be priced less than the Horus and if you’re into cable rolling and can afford it, it’s worth looking at two of these eight wire cables.

The one that I chose the first day was not the one that I will purchase once they are available in a month or so. The one I ended up going with, is a little bit warmer and extended on both ends of the spectrum. It gives it a very tight, beautiful performance in the 60 HS and below region. They do an amazing job with their cables and I was able to meet everyone there and learn about how they are hand braided. The only thing that will make them better in the future is when they can afford to get a cold welding unit as that will take their line to the next level. I don’t believe anybody in the headphone or IEM realm has cold welding technique other than Audioquest. I know for a fact they don’t have cables for the IEM market and I doubt if they ever will.

You guys will need to figure out what the cost benefit analysis is for purchasing cables. I believe the stock cables that come with these IEM’s are voiced extremely well. For those of you who love the Phantom or the Legend X or the Bravado or the EVR, cable rolling will let you to change subtleties, but you’re not talking wholesale changes. It is a point of diminishing returns at some point and only the buyer can figure that out for themselves. I will say however, that for a top-of-the-line IEM, either one of the new Effect Audio cables will take it to another level.

The one I liked best offers a slightly forward mid while warming things up and tightening the bass. It also added more air to the high end and made it a larger presentation. The changes although subtle were large by Audio standards to my untrained ear. They just took things to another level and took you closer to what the source was sending the IEM.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #11,055 of 40,538
Copied and pasted from the NY Canjam Impressions thread:

"empire ears : i tried out one of the models on the left end of the table, the black colored ones. Gave a 10-12 minute listen and liked them. Told the guy that handed them to me they sounded better than the tia forte. He smiled and thanked me. I meant it. I will purchase from your company in the future."

If anyone knows what model this dude listened to I'll be super thankful.

Every single unit Jack brought to the Euphoria event was black, so his description does not help one bit. :D But, I'm sure some CanJam attendees here can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back