Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 28, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #10,486 of 40,559
It's Sunday morning here in Connecticut (USA) and my head is clamped by the ZMF Ori's. What a GREAT headphone. Tonality=check, Accuracy=check, Extension on BOTH ends of the spectrum=check, True deep sub bass where you can hear each note individually=check, Fatigued after the last two hours=no, Thick, rich mids that are what I'm used to at a live event=check, Bleed through from the upper bass into the lower mids=NO, realistic sound stage for a headphone=check, depth to the stage=NO (can't have it all at this price of 500 used, yes good deal).

My head hurts and my wife is sleeping. I can't put on my Vandersteen Quatro's and the main system. I can't wait to get a pair of TOTL EE's! I left my Noble Savants downstairs in the bedroom.

Jack, that's Bawz! Talk about stepping up and taking what could be a typical internet snafu and stopping it COLD! Not surprised though. Hang in there with the tough schedule and I really look forward to meeting you in NYC at CanJam (heading there tomorrow for the week with my wife for our birthday get away, lol). I'm sure I'll be visiting some higher end shops. Are EE's sold at any of the personal audio shops there? I just don't know those brick and mortar places yet.

Jan 28, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #10,487 of 40,559
I called that number. It took me to a male hooker named Betty Boob. Best ten minutes I ever had on the phone.

Jack has changed my life for the better.
Actually I think you pocket dialed me on error...but I am glad you enjoyed.

Jan 28, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #10,488 of 40,559
I called that number. It took me to a male hooker named Betty Boob. Best ten minutes I ever had on the phone.

Jack has changed my life for the better.

Actually I think you pocket dialed me on error...but I am glad you enjoyed.

I'm startin' to feel a little left out, here...

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #10,491 of 40,559
If all goes well with the sales, soon I'll be hopefully coming to bug you Jack to enquire on how to get the "K" in all its glory in ciem form, and that's if Dean allows it :p

I admit though, this time I don't think I'd be able to wait for CJ London 2017 2018. x-D

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #10,492 of 40,559
If all goes well with the sales, soon I'll be hopefully coming to bug you Jack to enquire on how to get the "K" in all its glory in ciem form, and that's if Dean allows it :p

I admit though, this time I don't think I'd be able to wait for CJ London 2017. x-D
My apologies, do/did you mean CanJam London 2018?

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #10,494 of 40,559
2018 Empire Launch Tour

_DSC1080-01 (1481 x 833).jpg

2/3/2018
Osaka, Japan - E-Earphones Umeda

2/4/2018

Tokyo, Japan - E-Earphones Akihabara

2/9/2018

Singapore - Euphoria

2/10/2018

Singapore - Euphoria

**TBA**

**TBA**

**TBA**

**TBA**

We'll see you there! =)

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #10,495 of 40,559
@Jack Vang can’t wait! but what exactly is Euphoria in Singapore ?

Jan 30, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #10,496 of 40,559
2018 Empire Launch Tour

2/3/2018

2/4/2018

2/9/2018

Singapore - Euphoria

2/10/2018

Singapore - Euphoria

**TBA**

**TBA**

**TBA**

**TBA**

We'll see you there! =)

NUyttbn.gif

Jan 30, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #10,497 of 40,559
Well, this is a bit off the topic of new IEMs, but I splurged on a slight upgrade of my Effect Audio Ares ll single-ended cable and got an Ares ll+ balanced (2.5) to go with my Zeus. I ordered it January 24th and it arrived January 30th (I paid for the quicker delivery option), can't complain about that kind of service. Cost was $219 (plus the shipping). Pretty low-end for this place, but about $70 over the Ares ll, which is already an excellent cable when paired with the Zeus. The wire is thicker and a bit darker in color, the sound is a bit warmer (you don't have to strain to hear that it is warmer), I needed to turn down the volume a bit (using the AK SP1000SS) as the perceptual level seemed to go up (most likely as a result of the added warmth). Notes seem a bit thicker, transparency is slightly lessened due to that thickness, there's more timbre, detail, especially in the upper mids and trebles is still there. The bass and lower mid notes aren't dense, just a bit more...there. It's always a trade-off, in this case give up a bit of that glass-like transparency for a bit more oomph. So far I'm pleased with it. Build quality is excellent, I'm not hearing any microphonics (though I was sitting while going through 20-30 song parts just listening for changes from the older cable). I'll know more in a few days, as I walk with it and get my brain burned in to the new sound. If you have a Zeus and want a bit more timbre and lower end without giving up mids and highs, or spending $2500 or so for a new Legend X (sorry, Jack), this might be a good way to go. And, again, this is with an SP1000SS, which has a ton of detail and is not a warmth monster. Other sources might produce a different result.

Jan 30, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #10,498 of 40,559
2018 Empire Launch Tour

2/3/2018

2/4/2018

2/9/2018

Singapore - Euphoria

2/10/2018

Singapore - Euphoria

**TBA**

**TBA**

**TBA**

**TBA**

We'll see you there! =)
Are you guys not launching at music sanctuary?

Jan 30, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #10,499 of 40,559
Well, this is a bit off the topic of new IEMs, but I splurged on a slight upgrade of my Effect Audio Ares ll single-ended cable and got an Ares ll+ balanced (2.5) to go with my Zeus. I ordered it January 24th and it arrived January 30th (I paid for the quicker delivery option), can't complain about that kind of service. Cost was $219 (plus the shipping). Pretty low-end for this place, but about $70 over the Ares ll, which is already an excellent cable when paired with the Zeus. The wire is thicker and a bit darker in color, the sound is a bit warmer (you don't have to strain to hear that it is warmer), I needed to turn down the volume a bit (using the AK SP1000SS) as the perceptual level seemed to go up (most likely as a result of the added warmth). Notes seem a bit thicker, transparency is slightly lessened due to that thickness, there's more timbre, detail, especially in the upper mids and trebles is still there. The bass and lower mid notes aren't dense, just a bit more...there. It's always a trade-off, in this case give up a bit of that glass-like transparency for a bit more oomph. So far I'm pleased with it. Build quality is excellent, I'm not hearing any microphonics (though I was sitting while going through 20-30 song parts just listening for changes from the older cable). I'll know more in a few days, as I walk with it and get my brain burned in to the new sound. If you have a Zeus and want a bit more timbre and lower end without giving up mids and highs, or spending $2500 or so for a new Legend X (sorry, Jack), this might be a good way to go. And, again, this is with an SP1000SS, which has a ton of detail and is not a warmth monster. Other sources might produce a different result.

I am certainly going towards the Legend X route, the ulra speaker bass from the Legend X cannot be replicated with change in darker and warmer cable. Thats why the Legend X is named. Legendary Legend X once again with groundbreaking technology

And, why not both? Also a cable upgrade for Zeus. Ares II great cable without having to break the bank

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #10,500 of 40,559
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back