Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 20, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #9,196 of 40,559
Looking at grabbing a Spartan with the current sale. Anybody here match it up with an Opus #1? I searched the thread and didn't see anybody commenting on this combo, except that the Opus hisses with most EE offereings.

From Pinky's excellent Spartan-IV review (http://theheadphonelist.com/a-lean-mean-fighting-machine-a-review-of-the-empire-ears-spartan/):

"If your sense of fun lies in crystalline transparency, and high-res at an affordable price, the Opus#1 is my choice. It’s the best-sounding player I’ve heard under $600, and you can get it for almost half that! It’s less warm than the Opus#2, and much less warm than the i5. Of my DAPs, it has a marginally thinner sound, but *** me does it sound clear and detailed, with dynamics for days. There is also a refined, smooth quality. So no digititis. Spartan sounds like a true reference, detail monster. Yet even with Opus’ extra treble energy, this IEM never becomes fatiguing. Together they make a heavenly melody."

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #9,197 of 40,559
From Pinky's excellent Spartan-IV review (http://theheadphonelist.com/a-lean-mean-fighting-machine-a-review-of-the-empire-ears-spartan/):

"If your sense of fun lies in crystalline transparency, and high-res at an affordable price, the Opus#1 is my choice. It’s the best-sounding player I’ve heard under $600, and you can get it for almost half that! It’s less warm than the Opus#2, and much less warm than the i5. Of my DAPs, it has a marginally thinner sound, but *** me does it sound clear and detailed, with dynamics for days. There is also a refined, smooth quality. So no digititis. Spartan sounds like a true reference, detail monster. Yet even with Opus’ extra treble energy, this IEM never becomes fatiguing. Together they make a heavenly melody."

Don't know how I missed that glowing review. I think that I'm convinced. Thanks for posting that for me.

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #9,198 of 40,559
Opus#1>Spartan is a pairing of breathtaking neutrality.

Nov 20, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #9,199 of 40,559
I am sure my friend @EagleWings and I can help you decide.

Hey @EagleWings, I think we found this week's victi... I mean, person in need of our "expert advice"! :D

Thanks for the bat-signal :D.. The BF deals should make our job a bit easier I guess..

I was going to share Pinky's Spartan review, but loos like someone already did..

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #9,200 of 40,559
subguy- they are sending me a replacement cable, Ares ll. Whiplash cutting out and was last one they had
You did good man!

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #9,201 of 40,559
Hope so. Won’t know ‘till it arrives and I can get my wife to swap them out (too tight for me to remove, she makes jewelry). Looks like arriving Weds. Really enjoying the Zeus so far, even with some cutting out. Thanks to all on this thread for all the info and feedback and to Jack and Ethan for for great customer service.

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #9,202 of 40,559
I picked up a universal Spartan Adel today. From what I've gathered this should be their most neutral earphone in their lineup and that usually falls in line with my preferences. I was surprised at how big the shells were as these are supposed to be their smallest. This pretty much guaranteed that I don't be getting any of their earphones higher up as the left side is borderline for me. I' hoping this is a tip issue and something else will give a better fit.

How significant are the adel modules from a sound perspective? I have the b1 and I do find the highs sharp at times. I' hoping the other module will be better however if it's not significant and won't change that then no point there.

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #9,203 of 40,559
I picked up a universal Spartan Adel today. From what I've gathered this should be their most neutral earphone in their lineup and that usually falls in line with my preferences. I was surprised at how big the shells were as these are supposed to be their smallest. This pretty much guaranteed that I don't be getting any of their earphones higher up as the left side is borderline for me. I' hoping this is a tip issue and something else will give a better fit.

How significant are the adel modules from a sound perspective? I have the b1 and I do find the highs sharp at times. I' hoping the other module will be better however if it's not significant and won't change that then no point there.
Congratulations on your purchase!

ADEL modules in general,
B1 gives a brighter and airier sound,
S1 is warmer and bassier,
G1 is V-shaped,
MAM is self-tunable but needs practice,
And O1 (carrot modules) has no membrane inside and cancels out the benefits of ADEL for better isolation.

Just two points of note, I've done the testing with 64's A12 and have not heard the Spartan, and S1 modules are generally not paired with Empire Ears IEMs unless specifically requested.

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #9,204 of 40,559

The shells are large because of the adel.
However, for the customs i think they can still fit.

For the modules i would reccomend the g1 or even m20 apex modules, imo those sound better (ezekiel did a much better job of describing it)

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #9,205 of 40,559
Thanks for the responses. I wasn't aware that the 64 audio modules work as well. I haven't kept up with portable audio in a while and just getting back. It looks like in order to purchase any of these modules, I'll have to find someone who is willing to loan me a couple for a few weeks. If I purchase all of them, the price starts adding up to a much more expensive earphone than anticipated. My first order of business will have to be a new cable as I need one without memory wire and a straight plug.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #9,206 of 40,559
Thanks for the responses. I wasn't aware that the 64 audio modules work as well. I haven't kept up with portable audio in a while and just getting back. It looks like in order to purchase any of these modules, I'll have to find someone who is willing to loan me a couple for a few weeks. If I purchase all of them, the price starts adding up to a much more expensive earphone than anticipated. My first order of business will have to be a new cable as I need one without memory wire and a straight plug.
Effect audio Ares 2, ares 2+, pw audio no5, hansound zen are all good choices fot quite cheap.
I am willing to loan m20 and g1 if u are in asia

Nov 21, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #9,209 of 40,559
I haven't kept up with portable audio in a while and just getting back.

welcome back , i remember some talks we had back in 2010 (when i was a noob here)

and ofc , sorry about your wallet

Nov 21, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #9,210 of 40,559
Hey, the empire35 code doesn't work anymore. I guess it was too good to be true...
:frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back